Author Topic: Uncraftable Items from NPCs  (Read 143 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Uncraftable Items from NPCs
« on: March 18, 2013, 05:44:23 pm »
I would like it if items that are connected to unimplemented professions could be obtained from NPCs that are practicers of that profession. The mechanism for it could be repeatable quests where the NPC would take set amounts of certain items and tria and then "make" the player those items. That would both allow the player to have more than one but also limit how quickly new items could be made and keep it from becoming just a bunch of stray litter.

An example would be giving Ondren a Ruby, paying him tria, and then getting back a simple cut or an ornate cute ruby depending on how much money was paid. Perhaps kra tells you to come back later and you pick up your gems after delivering the goods. Then you have a lockout to prevent you from turning kra into a cut ruby mill. Might also help if the amount of tria you can sell the item for is close to the amount you pay to get it in the first place.

I would really like to see NPCs provide parts as well. Cut gems, plan bands(for rings), streched canvases(for painters), unglazed pots, Empty bottles, etc. That would help people RP specialization as well. For instance, my jeweler will make rings and set gems into them but he won't cut the gems himself. That leaves room for a gem cutter character to come through and provide cut gems. Both can make use of an NPC providing cut gems. The jeweler can use them in RP preceeding finishing a piece of jewelry and a gem cutter can use them for providing wares to supply other players.

The idea is that this will help people RP a more diverse set of skills since it would provide them with items they need without having to wait for engraving events or having to come up with books on their own. Taking out the extra steps might encourage more players to spread out by making it easier to do so.

That being said, I know that this would be a lower priority so it is something that would be nice to see in the future.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Uncraftable Items from NPCs
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 01:56:21 am »
The idea is that this will help people RP a more diverse set of skills since it would provide them with items they need without having to wait for engraving events or having to come up with books on their own. Taking out the extra steps might encourage more players to spread out by making it easier to do so.

I do like your idea, but this point you raise here is probably the core issue: If players are free to use their imagination to roleplay with book or map items, is it worth the effort to have new assets for the 3d art devs? They probably work mainly on missing art for features that are either already functional or to be released soon. Then this suggestion works best for features that are nearly done, so the art has to be created anway. In that case, do we prefer to be surprised with new features or to have previews of partial features (e.g. art without the crafting mechanics)? I don't know. But roleplay should not be limited by items available.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Uncraftable Items from NPCs
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 01:12:53 pm »
The art doesn't have to be created at all. Just like cooking is implemented but there isn't unique art for every item. This would just use whatever model is the closest and is currently available. The idea is not to limit RP. For a fact you can work without this, but if you'll notice, not everyone wants to grab a book and make their own items and there are still always requests for new items to fill niches.

This is just something to help the people who still want some sort of item to help them along and to help flesh out certain professions while the rest of the mechanics are in the works. The game is only bound by the imagination but many are still uncomfortable reaching out past what is currently implemented nevertheless, so a push in other directions might help them down that path.