Author Topic: The "I'm Bored" Conversation Thread  (Read 19134 times)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: The "I'm Bored" Conversation Thread
« Reply #1020 on: May 13, 2014, 01:36:23 am »
TheMetaPicture possibly doesn't like direct image linking and substituted the image with a blank to spare bandwidth.

Save the image, upload it to a different image hoster (e.g. frupic), link it there.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 01:43:00 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: May 13, 2014, 02:08:43 am »
Currently I'm playing using a MacBook late 2009 without problems, just not great performances. Since it's getting quite old I want to buy a new one and the Asus N550JV-CM160P seems a real bargain!  :)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: May 13, 2014, 02:26:18 am »
TheMetaPicture possibly doesn't like direct image linking and substituted the image with a blank to spare bandwidth.

Possibly. I'll just remove the images then as the links are there.

You can get bare bones laptop kits. I've never tried it though.
I've built my own desktops and servers before, but found that it didn't save me money.

The problem is less about saving money and more about being able to see if I'm getting what I'm paying for. For instance, I paid 1500 for my current laptop only to have to send it back not long after due to the fact they made it with cheap plastic and the hinges on the model were known to break easily. And all the other little break downs and now at about 3 years it's starting to come apart. At this point, I've been burned twice by "good deals" and I'm less inclined to go the cheaper route, but I don't want to waste money needlessly.

Its just going to be a little harder to find that parts you want... methinks.

I've heard that it is much harder to build laptops than PCs. I might just concede the point and save until I can get a desktop and a kindle or something so that I have the workhorse at home and something I can travel and read with.

Currently I'm playing using a MacBook late 2009 without problems, just not great performances. Since it's getting quite old I want to buy a new one and the Asus N550JV-CM160P seems a real bargain!  :)

It does look like a bargain, but after the last two times I felt that way about a computer I'm inclined to avoid such things now. XD I'm a bad judge of computer character.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: May 13, 2014, 02:52:08 am »
Fundamentally, pc's and laptops are the same. The main difference is space and choice of parts. Personally, I would not bother trying to build my own laptop. Maybe check out tomshardware.com or arstechnica.com for a review on current models.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: May 13, 2014, 02:56:51 am »
Well according to one guide I found, it's the lack of a variety of parts for the task that makes it difficult. However, I will take a look at these websites.

poezza

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: May 13, 2014, 12:46:59 pm »
In most cases building a laptop yourself will cost you more than buying one with the specs you'd like. Here in NL it is hardly done and the only places that provided that service actually quit.

I build my own pc for less then €150 using some spare parts I already aqcuired over time but are still relevant (HD, screen, wifi, etc)..

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: May 13, 2014, 01:41:33 pm »
Is there a Free Geek location near you? They'll only have old parts but they'll also recycle your busted machine by salvaging the usable bits.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: May 13, 2014, 05:38:08 pm »
In most cases building a laptop yourself will cost you more than buying one with the specs you'd like. Here in NL it is hardly done and the only places that provided that service actually quit.

I might just have to put together a Desktop or play Laptop roulette and see if I get a company that isn't trying to cheat me.  :-\

Is there a Free Geek location near you? They'll only have old parts but they'll also recycle your busted machine by salvaging the usable bits.

Apparently there aren't any around here but it sounds like a good idea though.

poezza

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: May 13, 2014, 05:57:05 pm »
From what I've heard Lenovo seems to be a good choice ... ofcourse ASUS always is...
Anyway.. if you ask me.. they're all out to cheat their customers

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: May 13, 2014, 06:58:58 pm »
I've had a Toshiba Qosmio for at least 7 years now. Its large and bulky, but served as decent portable workstation. I wouldn't buy another one only because of their reluctance to support Linux ( which is not really an issue for windows users )

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: May 13, 2014, 10:26:47 pm »
I've never looked into any of those brands but I suppose I should. I was inclined to start looking at Toshiba or Lenovo but I'm not sure what I am looking for I guess. But, what I need is something that will let me render 3D graphics without dying more than anything I guess. I'd probably do more arting if my computer wasn't so resistant to the idea.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: May 14, 2014, 08:52:45 am »
Buy a customizable gaming laptop.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: May 14, 2014, 09:44:12 am »
Get rock. Get bigger flatter rock. Smash rock against bigger rock. Now you play.

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

poezza

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: May 14, 2014, 10:09:06 am »
Buy a customizable gaming laptop.
Or at least have a good look at the hardware that they use.. cause they definetly arent the cheapest laptops... For these heavy duty tasks I'd recommend a pc so you have more opportunities to add or adjust your hardware. Brand name laptops usually have to have the original part or made by the same manufacturer...

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: May 15, 2014, 02:35:48 pm »
We'll see. Either way, I'll have to get money together first and that might take awhile. ;)