Author Topic: Buyable travel tokens  (Read 388 times)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Buyable travel tokens
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 09:27:03 am »
Gugrontid–Hydlaa = 4 circles
Hydlaa–Ojaveda = 6 circles
Gugrontid–Ojaveda = 10 circles = 2.5× Gugrontid–Hydlaa

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 11:44:11 am »
Gugrontid–Hydlaa = 4 circles
Hydlaa–Ojaveda = 6 circles
Gugrontid–Ojaveda = 10 circles = 2.5× Gugrontid–Hydlaa

thank you LigH  ;) ... but I meant: I'm not sure how much it's worth to be able to buy an expensive ticket while you can simply pay the right amount of trias. Sure you can gift it but: is it worthwhile to do spend development time on it? would you use it for real?

Denes

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 01:54:00 pm »
thank you LigH  ;) ... but I meant: I'm not sure how much it's worth to be able to buy an expensive ticket while you can simply pay the right amount of trias. Sure you can gift it but: is it worthwhile to do spend development time on it? would you use it for real?

About development time I can’t be sure. Say you need: a settings dev to review the idea and designate one or more NPC 15mins, a dev who can access the SQL database and runs ~4 commands 20mins. Say that is 1/3 of the time those two individuals spend with developing for us in a week. We still can’t say if it is worthwhile, since I cannot know what else is in the queue and how task are prioritized.
  As for the other part, you are probably right if you put it this way. I assumed their existence was well grounded since they are in game already. But that raises another question: If we only use it as a bank note worth 1000-2500 Tria depending on the situation why burden the database with them at all? 

PS: No offence, sarcasm, pointing fingers ment, just trying to ask constructive questions to find what’s best for all. Thank you all for even considering.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 06:27:19 pm »
  About development time I can’t be sure. Say you need: a settings dev to review the idea and designate one or more NPC 15mins, a dev who can access the SQL database and runs ~4 commands 20mins. Say that is 1/3 of the time those two individuals spend with developing for us in a week. We still can’t say if it is worthwhile, since I cannot know what else is in the queue and how task are prioritized.
  As for the other part, you are probably right if you put it this way. I assumed their existence was well grounded since they are in game already. But that raises another question: If we only use it as a bank note worth 1000-2500 Tria depending on the situation why burden the database with them at all? 

PS: No offence, sarcasm, pointing fingers ment, just trying to ask constructive questions to find what’s best for all. Thank you all for even considering.

oh... thank you for addressing our time so precisely  :P (it's just a joke  ;D )
My question was genuine I wanted to know if many of you think it's a feature you "can't live" without. You know it sometimes happens to develop a feature and someone comes up (and yes sometimes can be right) with: "they could spend their time developing something more useful" ;)

Venalan

• Global Moderator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 09:30:54 pm »
I did think about the idea of having a token per trip, so one for oja<->hydlaa, one for gug<->oja etc when setting the whole quest based travel thing up but decided against it, as unnecessary work in making the items and quests and maintaining the quests if new destinations get added in the future. The benefit of having individual trips didn't seem worth it, at the same time buying a token for each trip didn't really seem worth it as you could just use the cash. In terms of use in quests to make the trips quicker (and yes if you are given a token you can do what you want with it, use it, keep it, drop it, give it away) it seems most worth it. And they could also be given out at events by GMs/Devs etc..

In terms of having them available for new players that was also decided against as we do not want the few new players that do stick about immediately vanishing off to a new city where no one is before they have spent time in the game, and as the whole early game is based in Hydlaa so leaving the city leaves very little to do until you come back.

The only benefit to being able to buy them would be make sure if you gave someone one they would only use it to travel, where tria could be used for anything. But seeing as most trips would be cheaper to pay with tria I don't really see any need for them to be freely purchasable.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 09:40:38 pm »
If they could somehow be bought at a discount, they could be sold for a profit. 
If one could get a "faster ride" for a travel token than they could for money, they might be more valuable.
Likewise, if travel tokens could be used to reach exclusive destinations, they would again have special value.

Examples of exclusive destinations: 

An isolated town ( ie. if Amdemnier could only be reached with a token )
A spot that's only reachable via a flying creature - ie. top of a building... a cove or cave in BD Eagle Fort.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2013, 02:16:24 am »
Apropos Eagle Bronze Doors: It has an obviously marked landing spot on the Eagle head. But no pterosaur available. Inconsistency. Criticized several times already ... sorry for adding one more.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2013, 03:54:23 am »
Apropos Eagle Bronze Doors: It has an obviously marked landing spot on the Eagle head. But no pterosaur available. Inconsistency. Criticized several times already ... sorry for adding one more.

Pterosaur at the Eagle Bronze Doors was asked for tons of times but the team decided against it (even if my personal opinion is it wouldn't hurt) because it was meant to be a dangerous place not the next bus stop.

Likewise, if travel tokens could be used to reach exclusive destinations, they would again have special value.

Examples of exclusive destinations: 

An isolated town ( ie. if Amdemnier could only be reached with a token )
A spot that's only reachable via a flying creature - ie. top of a building... a cove or cave in BD Eagle Fort.

Token were not designed to reach exclusive destinations, even if I find the idea interesting (but regarding Amdeneir we'd like it to stay free since it's the only way go get there and enjoy the map).
Regarding the topic my personal view is I would like them to be rewarded in a repeatable quest. This way with some extra token available to role players they maybe used for RP opportunities, i.e. merchant/crafter needs some ingredient from a different city and hire a player to deliver it, he may offer a token instead of trias to make sure the hired guy doesn't vanish into the wild.

Denes

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2013, 05:28:26 am »
This latter kinda beats my original intentions: Me, being able to spend Tria in exchange for the time others with lower funds spend on the roads walking.

Instead this would allow them to exchange time spent on: roads walking or looting and such to get Tria, for time spent in cities doing quests eventually leading to us bumping to each other. I could live with that happily I guess…  :)

OFF:
meant to be a dangerous place not the next bus stop
;D
Sure feels like it. But then again, I wish I had a better idea how to ask players to prove their determination for a mount, training, rock pick or whatever.