Author Topic: The last of the Kelpslingers  (Read 600 times)

Daevaorn

• Traveller
    • View Profile
The last of the Kelpslingers
« on: June 17, 2013, 07:25:29 am »
When I last went to Gugrontid to see Gardr about some smithing lessons, I overheard a whispered conversation between some Eagle Gobbles at the lake. One said something about "Cousin ... found ... old, old letter ... ungobblish ... brought home. Village elder ... said ... cannot read well." and the other replies something like "Secret ... find ... what happened." That all left me really puzzled - mostly for the fact that they were so absorbed in their hissing exchange about some old secret that they entirely forgot to watch their surroundings and no one cried out at me for being "bad, bad" and an "enemy".

[An OOC remark directed at old and experienced players. Follow for fun but don't remove. Targetting them young'nes ;-)]

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: The last of the Kelpslingers
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 08:23:25 am »
[ Solita will certainly have a nice meal in exchange for interesting news around Gugrontid... ]

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 12:26:17 pm »
Eagle Gobbles are friendly- Serpent Gobbles will attack you.

Daevaorn

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 06:18:02 pm »
Eagle Gobbles are friendly- Serpent Gobbles will attack you.
I've been attacked by both before. But I think you are missing the point of my tale.  ;)

I'm so glad that I spent some time with Gorbiak on learning the basics of Gobble!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 06:21:08 pm by Daevaorn »

Daevaorn

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 02:00:04 pm »
If anyone is following the lead, please keep us posted on your progress here, if you will?

Sadie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 01:15:52 pm »
  Don't see how to get started, given the information .... :-\  Perhaps I'm just blind, or deaf??

:sorcerer:
my name is Sanrai ;)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 01:20:57 pm »
I wonder too. If more people have overheard the same whisper, they may talk about it in the next towns, I hope...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Daevaorn

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 05:13:52 pm »
How about trying to find the concrete item that the conversation was about?  :-X

Sadie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 09:07:05 am »
as for looking, I looked all around.... and looked some more, while the silly Eagle gobbles said "Friend, friend" while attacking me ... :-X

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 01:04:54 pm by Sadie »
my name is Sanrai ;)

Daevaorn

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 07:58:07 am »
Maybe you looked round the wrong place?

Sadie

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 03:20:34 pm »
  obviously.
 Am trying to "find the lead", and "keeping you posted" .... [a wry smile]

my name is Sanrai ;)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 03:31:05 pm »
Trying to get inspiration for a different brew, Esanor wandered to the Gobble village at the river Irifon and watched them eating and drinking. He didn't see anything that he would like to add to beer. But their chatter made him curious. He went down the hill and got shown a letter which was hard to understand, but appeared to tell a story of a missing person. He wonders where the hints would lead him, possibly somewhere far away from Ojaveda.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 08:05:07 pm »
Roled, too, wandered into the gobbles village, and came upon the same letter.  Clues led in different directions, so he is headed first north(ish) then south(ish) to see what he might see.

On his north(ish) trek he ran into a hunting party, consisting of several StoneHammers, including the dextrously verbose Esanor (thanks for the beer!) and the lovely Blue mage Baker, Lady Lumi, along with other notables.  On the way to check out one clue, Roled well, he just fell asleep.  Silly elf!
 :whistling:
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 11:59:07 pm »
What a disappointment! The rescue team was late. Late by ... well, probably a whole generation? We could only rescue the bones and the legacy of the father who once went missing.

At first Esanor gathered his guild pals at the plaza: Lumi, Dalos, Laros, Qiner, Eisenhand – who suspected the name "Greensplish Kelpslinger" to be of the Nolthrir, due to its watery sound. The gathering caught attention, and soon more people followed curiously: Cirerey, Kaerli, Mrae, Xola.

The clues were not really clear, so we went into different places. The first was the Iron Tower, the highest place with own rope ladders we knew. Nothing there. Did we take this part of the letter wrong? Did the father have an own rope ladder with him? Then maybe the hint with the Gawert was more important... so we decided to search in the mines below the Eagle fortress for more hints. If we just knew how close we already were...

While taking a break in the Explorer outpost, a few more friends joined our already respectable party: Derator, Gonger and Roled arrived. We searched the mine in the rarely visited places, up to the gap down to the path behind the watch platform where Sierann has his duty. Gawert and rope ladders ... this combination must have misled us. Which other hints remain? Only the "caves of Laanx" seemed to be the direction we should have followed. The crack below the waterfall was not known to have a relation to Laanx. But the temple in Hydlaa, and what lies below.

And then a sudden intuition struck Esanor: The father must have taken an own rope ladder to climb places in the dungeon you couldn't normally reach. And he thought of a quite strange place immediately, one he always wanted to get to, wondering if it contained interesting resources... The quickest members of the party rushed ahead, and Qiner was the first to find the place Esanor described by a sketch: A narrow dead-end tunnel above the iron mine, near the bottom of the winding stairs where the Onyx Dagger crew protects their hidden leader. A precise jump with a mount served as substitute for the missing ladder.

Well, as already mentioned, all we could rescue was the legacy of Troutmouth Kelpslinger: His bones, his armor, and a medley of ... oh, no, besides a dagger and a chip of gold, the bag also contained the crystals he must have searched for, a Radiant Sapphire and a Diamond of Waterkin. Installed in an armor socket, it should have helped the humidity-bound Nolthrir to discover dry places, covered in a layer of water. So the "Diary of Troutmouth Kelpslinger" revealed on the last readable page.

This scientist sacrificed his life for the wealth of the Nolthrir race. I am pretty certain that his name will find its honorable place in the library of the Knowledge Seekers University.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:01:13 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Denes

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 02:25:39 am »
Laros places a little note in Esanor’s palm that reads: "Good job diverting the mob, brodr, so an ally can take his time goin’ after the real treasure. It is just that next time I’ll want in. Remember, I’ll be watching ye…"  \\o//