Author Topic: Proposal: RP dice!  (Read 422 times)

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • My main: Jamona Shikon
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
Re: Proposal: RP dice!
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 03:21:10 pm »
For the character list, is it just randomly assigning ranks to players online?

It's not really random. The rank is calculated from the name. I.e., the same character will always have the same rank.

If you don't tie the rank to stats you can probably add another rank between normal and legendary.

Probably, but I put some thought in the large apparent gaps between ranks, and also in only having three. In practice, the difference in ranks isn't as large as the chosen wording make it sound. Moreover, people kind of have difficulty rating stuff on a scale easily. E.g., when YouTube had a five-star rating system, everyone just gave everything either five stars or one star, and ignored the other options, right? Translated to PS, that will mean that people who like to godmod would all be naturally legendary even if their character should be the rank between average and legendary. The title "legendary" is more to discourage people from using it unless they really mean it. Maybe the name could be tuned down a bit to "able warrior" or something.

But it looks good right now.

Thanks! I like to play around with the demo, too.

Alice attempts to look at Alegos.
Alegos cannot deflect Alice's action, and it succeeds.
Alegos
: Hey, what are YOU looking at?

I think it's also cool that through the prompt, the player might be notified of an interaction that might otherwise get lost in a chatlog wasteland.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 03:42:14 pm »
The rank is calculated from the name. I.e., the same character will always have the same rank.

What I mean is what will make one character legendary and another normal?

The title "legendary" is more to discourage people from using it unless they really mean it. Maybe the name could be tuned down a bit to "able warrior" or something.

If that is why you did it then leave it as it is a good deterrent. ;)

..the player might be notified of an interaction that might otherwise get lost in a chatlog wasteland.

Definitely, in a good rolling RP or when standing in the middle of several conversations it is easy to miss a cue to react due to not seeing all the posts.

bilbous

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 04:05:56 pm »
shouldn't that be legen - wait for it - dairy?

sorry

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 04:40:58 pm »
The rank is calculated from the name. I.e., the same character will always have the same rank.

What I mean is what will make one character legendary and another normal?

Oh I was under the impression you didn't like math, but since you're asking so nicely... the rank is calculated as the remainder of the sum over the character name's ASCII value divided by three. E.g. Bob = (66 + 111 + 98) % 3 = 2 = Legendary (1 would be average and 0 would be feeble)
Of course, that's only for the sake of the demo, to have kinda pseudo-random ranks attached to actual names :)

Definitely, in a good rolling RP or when standing in the middle of several conversations it is easy to miss a cue to react due to not seeing all the posts.

Exactly. If implemented well, the prompt could really help here and turn it into a better experience. (And if it works in the same way as it does in the demo, i.e. the player can't make another /attempt before the other one has responded to the previous one, it can't even be abused for spamming too well.)

shouldn't that be legen - wait for it - dairy?

I can't believe how many results this gets on Google.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 04:58:49 pm »
Oh, I was under the impression you didn't like math, but since you're asking so nicely... the rank is calculated as the remainder of the sum over the character name's ASCII value divided by three. ...
*nods her head and smiles for the rest*

Seriously though, I get it.

So what will you do with the system now?

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 05:34:04 pm »
So what will you do with the system now?

Huh, I dunno. Hope that a PS dev will pick it up? I'm not sure though how to properly convince a dev that this could be a good idea. I guess community support would help, but seems like most of the community is more interested in telling me that I should just give up, or that they like dairy products.

Well obviously I'm a dev myself as evidenced by the demo, and I'm not a complete noob at C++, so in theory I could go and implement it into PS myself. But judging from other people's impressions, this would mostly take a long time to even get into it enough, and then be complicated even further by more bad experiences. So not digging that a whole lot.

Maybe I could open a feature request in the bug tracker and wait for it to get ignored 'cause nobody could be bothered to read all that.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 06:20:33 pm »
I guess community support would help, but seems like most of the community is more interested in telling me that I should just give up, or that they like dairy products.

Nah, that's just the forum. You know how it is. Half the people that agree with the idea won't say so here and most of the people reading won't say anything whether or not they like or dislike. We'll see about the system I guess.

But, could you add to the command so it will display the success without displaying the target name? like:
/attempt notarget to slap Bob across the cheek Bob

Which prints
Alice attempts to slap Bob across the cheek, and fails.

Where "to slap Bob across the cheek" was the input Alice gave and she still puts in Bob as the target but it doesn't automatically print Bob's name at the end of the attempt, so that you can make more complex attempts that don't necessarily end with Bob's name.

The above attempt with the way the command works now would print:
Alice attempts to slap Bob across the cheek Bob, and fails.

After thought:

If you want to increase the likelihood of someone picking this up. I would say make a tl;dr post once you are satisfied with the demo. When you do the post, change the title of it to something with "tl;dr version" in it. Then put the link at the very beginning, give a sentence or two explaination of what the demo is, then put a few lines on how to use the demo. Then it will be super short and people might actually try it and play around with it.

It occurs to me that people probably see me answer the thread and assume its something long and drawn out or they were a part of that other thread that Rigwyn mentioned earlier so they skim and aren't really engaging with what you are trying to do. Make a super efficient post where they get all information in less than a paragraph and then they will probably be more likely to take an interest.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:27:10 pm by Illysia »