Author Topic: PVP styles  (Read 1149 times)

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
Re: PVP styles
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 10:03:25 pm »
Waesed hits Timil in the back of the head with a plate-mail gauntlet. "Long time no see!"

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 11:53:47 pm »

In any case, I think Prreta made the strongest point by highlighting the word GRACE.

Whatever style or method of PVP is to be used, the participants ought to be graceful toward each other OOCly.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: This  :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 08:18:55 am »
As Caraick hinted, if RL knowledge is required then none of us should play magic, since there is no such thing in RL. No magic = no fantasy setting.

I expected a response from Caraick, but it seems he can't come up with one. Magic is completely different from real skills that translate into the game. It requires suspension of disbelief. The only way to maintain that is to ensure that the use of magic obeys common sense and settings. If you roleplayed a world with no magic, you would not be able to use this excuse.

Please try to counter what I stated in my last post.

Furthermore I doubt newbies to RP such as myself arrive with a full set of knowledge about any relevant skills, so that suggestion would prevent the community from ever growing. I mean seriously, who wants to play a nobody for the years that it would take to gain such knowledge in RL? No newbies = stagnation and eventual extinction.

Newbies to roleplay are expected to learn about what they want to roleplay. It doesn't take as much time as you think it does. Every roleplay community I have ever been part of has expected me to gather knowledge on particular subjects if I was not already familiar with them. It should be the same here.

If you have no knowledge on something, it is a good idea to not attempt to roleplay it. Yes, you're pretending to be someone you're not, but you can't pretend to be something you don't know anything about. It's annoying for other players around you and causes misunderstandings.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

bilbous

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 09:28:08 am »
So unless you actually put on some armor and go out to kill your friends you MUST NOT ROLE PLAY duels to the death. After all, theory is no substitute for experience. You can read all you want and it will not prepare you for the killing fields. Is that how it is?

* bilbous wanders away tittering.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 11:39:25 am »
You're joking, right?
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

bilbous

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 01:12:16 pm »
I am just following, excessively, down the path you have laid down.
How do authors write the parts of characters of different gender when they can have no true knowledge of their realities.  How can a person born of wealth write of poverty, or a person of no means write of the wealthy? We all keep secrets from ourselves and others.

But, yes, I was not suggesting you should actually go out and kill people. I have a tendency towards hyperbole as should be plain to see by now.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 03:28:06 pm »
Writers try to research what they're writing about... I even said that in my other post. And I said the same goes for roleplayers.

Kaerli_Stronwylle

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 06:19:36 pm »
Hmm, come to think of it, my chars haven't done a LOT of PVP combat compared to some player chars I know, but what PVP I have done has been almost entirely RP. I think my style varies between detailed and lite, depending on who I'm playing with, and how it best enhances the narrative of the RP story (realizing, of course, that my concept of 'best' is entirely subjective).

I agree with Caraick and Aramara and Rigwyn's posts above. I also agree with Volki inasmuch to say that it's good to gain more knowledge and bring it into RP when possible, because RL knowledge is useful to enhance RP, but *not* that it is a requirement.

In any case, I think Prreta made the strongest point by highlighting the word GRACE.

Whatever style or method of PVP is to be used, the participants ought to be graceful toward each other OOCly.

If someone godmods, then why not graciously and gently either (ooc) whisper to them, so that the action can be retconned or otherwise agreeably addressed, or just let the matter go and see where the RP goes from there?

Or if someone happens to be a newbie at descriptions, and doesn't RP much detail, why not graciously look on it as a teaching/learning opportunity? OR (for just this once) try graciously humoring them and then have an OOC discussion about it afterwords?

Anyhoo, I realize this is somewhat idealized, but I hope it is taken in the spirit which it was meant.

~Timil~
Agreed.  OOCly, we all need to be far more graceful in resolving some of the difficulties (such as position/state mismatches) we come across as RPers.

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2014, 01:01:36 am »
Just because player A knows more about fighting in real life than player B, that doesn't mean player A's character is a better fighter than player B's.

After all, when you throw in the different races and such, how much super detailed RL fighting knowledge actually translates to PlaneShift?  Sure, if you have two Ylian fighting you can imagine it like a real life fight, but what about kran, or kylros, or enkis?  Surely moves/grapples/holds that would work against real people would be totally ineffective against them and vice versa, since their bodies are shaped differently and move differently.

The point is, requiring players to have deep knowledge of RL fighting is unnecessary.  It's a game.  It's not a simulator.  All that should be required is common sense and the ability to envision actions in three dimensions.  On that note, the more specific you are about what your character is doing, the easier it will be for everyone to envision the same thing.
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 04:18:40 am »
Where are you getting the idea "deep knowledge"? I never said this.

Once again, just because something does not exist in reality doesn't mean you can't use common sense to guess how it would work out in roleplay.

I am not even into "super detailed" fighting. My fighting is as detailed as pretty much everyone else who plays on this game, possibly even less detailed.

The reason this thread exists is that there was a fight in game between Prreta and a few players in the tavern. She was trying to stab a woman. I logged on in the middle of it. My character came up behind Prreta, pulled her off the victim while holding her in a lock, and tried to subdue her. Prreta attempted to escape, but not in any way that would be successful, so I couldn't really let her go. Prreta didn't like that.

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 09:10:56 pm »
Prreta attempted to escape, but not in any way that would be successful, so I couldn't really let her go.

Seriously?  :thumbdown:
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

bilbous

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 09:53:06 pm »
mantra for the day: not my concern, keep trap shut.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 10:31:04 pm by bilbous »

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2014, 03:29:52 am »

Prreta

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2014, 10:33:29 am »
In my mind this thread exists because I went back afterwards and reviewed the fight to find out what went wrong am am trying to learn from it. I had an objective third party review of the logs and the conclusion was that there were errors on both sides but I do not intend to drag this community through the mud of the details. I'd like this thread to be about learning how to handle situations that myself and other newbs like me might encounter in the future.

Application of Kaerli's STA method could have helped prevent our misunderstanding, so score one point for more detail.

Thank You everyone who has responded graciously, I hope we can continue with what I have found to be an enlightening discussion of useful general principles.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 05:17:21 pm by Prreta »

Prreta

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2014, 11:15:50 am »
If the community as a whole feels that I have acted in some way inappropriately by posting this - despite my efforts to detach it from the precipitating event and remain respectful of all points of view,  then I will be puzzled as to how one is to learn in PS but shall immediately request that the moderators remove this thread.

Please people do comment.