Author Topic: How to enjoy Planeshift  (Read 2188 times)

max_torch

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
How to enjoy Planeshift
« on: August 14, 2014, 10:08:39 pm »
Greetings everyone.
I am new to this game So my experience in the game so far is this:
The tutorial was excruciatingly long..
Then I went to a tavern and met a  few Sisters of X_(something) who helped give me a tour around the main city. Then a guy from The Warriors guild brought me to the place where the rock creatures live because I wanted to learn how to mine and he told me more about the world. Then for some reason I took a pterodactyl back to the main city and then I tried fighting stuff in the arena/coliseum. Then I started doing a few quests for the blacksmith NPC (harnquist i think). Then there was a dwarf guy who I started interacting with and he kept on talking OOC without signifying it so that was annoying since I was IC.
I am new to playing online on an Role Play server.

My character is Leonicus, a guy who was kicked out of his house by his father because he was being a bum and not having any skills to contribute. So now he wants to make up for it by becoming famous enough that his father will hear of his success. So basically all my character wants to do is "achieve stuff" so that he can become famous. Also he wants to do it in a good, honest way because that's how his parents were too, not sneaky and evil.

I am confused at this point on how to enjoy this game, and how to play the plot of my character. Also I want to focus on RP and not on grinding or powergaming, making the best build etc, but there are so many people I meet who are grinding, or being metagamey and even blatantly talking out loud OOC without declaring it. How do I really get into the Role Play of this game? Anyone have advice?

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
Re: How to enjoy Planeshift
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 11:31:57 pm »
Unfortunately, Leonicus, a lot of it has to do with meeting the right people. With no non-RP server for the game anymore, there's a lot of folks out there who don't play the game to RP.  They play for the numbers that show up in a stats and skills window.

Fortunately, there's a lot of people who could care less about those numbers.  They're here to write, and to develop a story.  Most of those people will hang out around Hydlaa, and there's a couple good spots to find RP consistently; Kada's, Harn's, and the Plaza are always a safe bet.

Hope you're able to find some RP! Give me a poke sometime  :)
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Zalya

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 11:37:36 pm »
Hey there! Welcome to Planeshift. The best way to meet roleplayers is to talk to people. While it is true that there are a large amount of people grinding, especially around the forges and mines, there is definitely a strong roleplaying element in the game. There are often roleplayers hanging around in the taverns, and surrounding areas. Once you meet a few people you start to form friendships, and from there it is easier to meet more and more roleplayers. Depending on your play times there might be few people online. Right now we have a low player count. You can add me (Zalya) to your buddy list, and if you send me a /tell I'd be happy to find you IC and introduce you to a few people. Good to see some new faces. If you have any questions feel free to ask!
(23:25:58) Elady says: Zalya are you trying to eat a ruby?
Zalya's RP likes and Dislikes

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 02:30:28 am »
Hello Leonicus,

Welcome to PlaneShift.

Yes, it depends a lot on whom you meet. I help newbies a lot, and I always ask them what kind of help they want. PlaneShift is complex, everything is new, so best thing is probably not to throw too much at newbies at the same time.

As suggested, make use of your buddy list. You can add comments to people there, which might be helpful in the beginning. Soon you will know who wants to RP, and who wants not. If somebody really annoys you, /ignore them.

What exactly struck you as too long in the tutorial? More detailed feedback would be appreciated for further improvements. It is certainly long, but it also covers all of the basic points of PlaneShift. Recently I met a newbie who had been rushed through the tutorial by a friend of his, and therefore was totally clueless.

Enjoy the game, and see you there soon.

Gonger

max_torch

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 03:16:54 am »
the info in the tutorial was indeed essential. I went through it all and read it all. However i guess it is not time-efficient in that you have to wait so long unnecessarily in a lot of parts, especially in getting info from the NPCS in the tutorial area. I kept on wishing that the interaction with the NPCS was like in the game neverwinter nights(the first one, never tried the second) so that it would be faster. So the specific issue for me is the time efficiency of the explanation of the tutorial. But doing an actual combat with that demon guy is good, I wouldnt rush that one.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 03:34:21 am »
Unfortunately, Leonicus, a lot of it has to do with meeting the right people. With no non-RP server for the game anymore, there's a lot of folks out there who don't play the game to RP.  They play for the numbers that show up in a stats and skills window.

I've only seen a few players who do not attempt to roleplay. Most players try. They may not be up to par with you or they may be more lax, but they're still roleplaying. I've managed to roleplay with everyone so far, even the ones who don't get it.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Lumi

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 03:41:46 am »
Welcome Leonicus,

Nice story you have there and we can feel that you have a lot to "give" in an eventual RP coming soon, that's great :D

I just would like to add that "grinding" is not obviously opposit to "Rp-ing". I've had a lot of excellent casual Rp around the smith while "grinding" which i simply call "crafting". My char was doing her job in complet IC manner yet "grinding" and i've get to know a lot of people that way too ! It's part of the game.

Nowadays, especially during week days, it's not easy to actually find the people to start an Rp. But don't be afraid to just go for it, throw a sentence and see what happen, or even a /tell "Feels like Rp-ing ? ".

You did well to post in the forum, now i will watch out for a Leonicus !! eheh  :D

PS : Hello Sarras and it's true that lately we've seen a lot of "ooc" in main and a lot of people that don't even try or take the [ bracket reminder ] at all into account.
<*> The Way of the Hammer <*>

max_torch

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 06:53:24 am »
Okay I hope to see you guys on the server it is my first time to try online role playing

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 07:20:19 am »
I can't help but think the dwarf you referred to is Polain, my great-grandson. He has been told not to talk in main as he is only 6 years old. He loves to hunt and he gives all kinds of things away to new and old players. If you run across him in the future tell him in a /tell that you are going to tell Grandpa on him- he will straighten up, at least for a while. >:(  Waesed (me) and Jerada (my wife, ingame and in rl) want to hear any complaints so we can all enjoy the game. It is in his OOC desc. that he is only 6 and lists my name there, also.

Good to have you here and hope you can really enjoy the game. Come rp in the RCD when it's open. You can even become a musician or story-teller in the Den. (Note: This is a blatant plug for the RCD!)

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 07:59:58 am »
Blatant self-promotion here, but maybe you should check the House DeFaye.

I wanted to make a pure RPing guild (without diminishing the need for grinding some players feel, even if it's just to RP them accordingly, or just for fun between roleplays), but it seems that some players are favoring other not-so-RP guilds for some reasons.

ICly, you can find an advertisement on the Hydlaa billboard, but I plan on spreading them around Ojaveda, Amdeneir, and Gugrontid. It's a pity that the Ojaveda billboard is so hidden.

Anyways... what everyone else said :D

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 12:32:18 pm »
There are certainly many possible ways to enjoy PlaneShift. Most important prerequisites: Much patience and low expectations, tolerance and cooperation. Find people you like to play with, and a role you like to play. You may solve quests, you may craft and level ... but making friends is the key to enjoy this game.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 01:39:09 pm »
I think LigH hits the nail on the head.  Just get out and make friends.  It may not be with the first player you meet, or even the fifth, but stick around a little while, and you'll bump into some friendly faces.
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

Marcelamasy

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
How to enjoy Planeshift
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 05:07:43 am »
How do i uninstall ubuntu while windows is installed within it? I had ubuntu installed and i installed windows inside it. How do I uninstall ubuntu without reinstalling windows? It is booting using gimp if thats any help.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 06:19:28 am »

How do i uninstall ubuntu while windows is installed within it? I had ubuntu installed and i installed windows inside it. How do I uninstall ubuntu without reinstalling windows? It is booting using gimp if thats any help.

Get someone else to do it for you.

For something like this, you need to be able to show someone exactly what it is that you want to accomplish rather than trying to learn to do it yourself. I say this only because there is a steep learning curve here. Sometimes its just more efficient to leverage another person's skills.

derula

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • My main: Jamona Shikon
    • View Profile
    • Ugly Horst Tld.
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 06:34:30 pm »
It is booting using gimp if thats any help.

Ah, good old GIMP Initiates Machine Powerup. Mine has a fancy bootscreen:

Edit: This is my way of saying "you should probably follow Rigwyn's advice."
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 06:38:06 pm by derula »