Author Topic: general reference check  (Read 1287 times)

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
general reference check
« on: September 23, 2014, 05:28:01 am »
i vaguely recall that early in the octarch's reigns that they were discouraging the use of languages other than the common tongue... and that they were also suppressing certain elements of the history before their time and some of the early years of the octarch's reigns.

now i'm not sure if i'm remembering correctly, making it up completely, or leaking info from a previous life. if the first one can someone point in a direction either in game, which library it is in, or online.

if the third let me know and i'll not mention it again... atleast until formally released.

may laanx frighten the shadow from my path.
hardly because the shadow built the lexx.
the shadow will frighten laanx from my path.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: general reference check
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 06:37:13 am »
Regarding the suppressed history, I wonder if you refer to early epochs (like the Lemur and the ten cities of Kadaikos, which got suppressed by Laanx mainly, but chronicles do exist as two in-game books); this epoch is briefly documented in the "History" page.

More details about early events from the founding of the Octarchy during the fifth epoch of "the two temples" can probably be collected across the history of each race, I remember some intrigues being mentioned in the relations between Ylians and Enkidukai.

But without prior knowledge which of the many in-game books may be relevant, it may be time consuming to read through all the books in "Jayose's" developer library; not all book titles are obvious enough to grab attention of the seeker of historical knowledge.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 05:19:46 pm »
That would be the fifth epoch then.

Those books are in game or elsewhere?
okay found the wiki... will have to chew through the race histories... was kind of right about the language thing.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:30:17 pm by steuben »

bilbous

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 09:52:40 pm »
I believe the wars that caused the founding of the Octarchy were forbidden knowledge, there was an attempt to whitewash history. Also the common tongue was adopted as the official language of the land. This may have changed, I haven't looked at the books lately. You could try the wayback machine to see what the main site used to say about these matters.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 01:17:43 am »
I meant the "Races" pages on the website also. They contain a kind of history schedule each, where you may spot names of governors and assassins. If there are none before a certain date, that may be on purpose...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 01:19:27 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 06:28:25 pm »
dang, the time frames aren't what i was hoping.

dakkru and xiosia are late arrivals to the game. so was the death realm always around or did it start when D showed up. for the most part i'm reading D's and X's rise to prominence as fill in the vaccuum left by talad and lannx's absence.

bilbous

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 08:00:50 pm »
Dakkru showed up in the DR one day as it predated her. If you read the books in the library there you can find out more. They may have changed since I last looked but the DR was developed a few years before Dakkru was ever heard of by the players.

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 07:21:15 pm »
dang that means i may have to chuck a line.

bilbous

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 10:39:26 pm »
I believe both Dakkru and Xiosia were instituted during Xillix's watch. The Death Realm predates most things, save only combat and a few other things. Oja was still around but may still have been beyond the magic shop. Gugrontid and the BD were not yet available. If you read the books, at least the last time I did, the Death Realm is ancient although its connection to Yliakum may not be. Parts of the structures are built on the skeleton of some gigantic long dead beast. Then again primary sources are best not the poorly remembered musings of a doddering old kran.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 10:41:42 pm »
Both gods were indeed introduced at that time and at least Xiosia was introduce in an event in the secret garden; I was there. I believe they were not meant to be written into the history but rather included from that point forward.

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2014, 07:03:06 pm »
that's the fun part about dev time and game history. and the annoying thing about things being released in dribs and drabs.

i'm working on a story set in the early days of the octarchy... which means i have to balance what is known against what might be released.

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2014, 07:59:10 pm »
You might be able to write the missing history, filling in all the missing details.

bilbous

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 09:28:25 pm »
Don't sweat it too much, it wouldn't be the first time that things changed. The possibility of new gods were expressly disavowed until there they were. The whole shape of the lands were transformed when the Bronze Doors was brought in.

steuben

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2014, 10:04:29 am »
Did a term every get made for the dome of rock about be the date me level. I've always called it the vault.

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2014, 10:48:09 am »
Did a term every get made for the dome of rock about be the date me level. I've always called it the vault.

:surrender: I have no idea what you are talking about.