• View Profile
Trolls
« on: September 29, 2014, 10:00:09 pm »

Thamil

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Re: Trolls
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 11:43:24 pm »

It's certainly a well made video, too many are going to try and tear it down with various things like 'edgy' or 'trying too hard'. I feel like trolling originally started with as he says, just bad people who sought to spread what ate away at them to others but has since grown and mutated and spread to a different kind of people. It is  for some less about just causing strife because you hate yourself, and more a sort of status symbol or competition. What did he say? Weaving your anger with dexterity? Something amounting to that. But I hope his message works anyways, beautiful piece. Extremists will pick it up and try and bore down on any critique with 'NOW UR TROLL' but maybe real discussion happens.

inb4 Sarras comes and ruins this whole thread before it starts. Good luck Asco, thanks for sharing.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 12:12:33 am »
I liked both the video and the comic/(magna?) posted afterwards.

I would like to bring up one point, not to knock it, but to explore the topic further. That for each troll and his/her collection of behavioural problems, there's a victim with their collection of behavioural problems. There's a reason why some folks get picked on more than others, and some don't seem to get picked on at all. Yes, its wrong of the troll to troll, but also for the victim to play the part of the victim and unwittingly fall prey to the the troll is an injustice to one's self.

Am I right, wrong, kinda/sorta/notreally ?

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 12:24:11 am »
Interesting video and I love the Zen Pencils webcomic. I think the most poignant part of the video is the part that says it is not cute or funny. However, I would stick out that while some trolls troll others to convince themselves they have control, the ability to ruin the day of others, some do it because they don't know how to interact with others non destructively and they are so busy clumsily stumbling around social conventions and people's opinions of them that they find it difficult to get out of that pattern. Not that it makes it any less aggravating to deal with, but I do think there are degrees of malice involved and not everyone is actually doing it out of malice.

As to what Rigwyn says, yes and no... kinda. First you have to be able to distance yourself from the battle enough to identify what you are dealing with then you must also identify the solution. Both of these things are difficult to do especially when you are just struggling with surviving. However, once you have indeed established a pattern, you are responsible for making reasonable adjustments. Not that is it your fault, but you must first start to help yourself or at least be open to receiving help before the patterns of abuse can be broken. However, some people are picked on because of traits that are not wrong per se, it just attracts negative attention. I believe that those people have a right to be who they want to be but at the same time I acknowledge that defiance comes with a price.

bilbous

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 05:44:50 am »
Don't mean to be a troll here but isn't posting a thread like this trolling the trolls?

Didn't actually watch the vid....

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 06:41:05 am »
inb4 Sarras comes and ruins this whole thread before it starts. Good luck Asco, thanks for sharing.

lol

"Everyone who doesn't agree with me is a troll!"

(1 post = troll?)
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 09:50:11 pm »
that video was pretty awesomesauce.

yeah you've got to have thick skin if you want to put anything out there on the internet to be judged.
all blessings to the assembled devotees.