Author Topic: The Death Realm Needs some TLC  (Read 827 times)

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
The Death Realm Needs some TLC
« on: January 05, 2015, 05:17:29 am »

The Death Realm Could use Some Improvement.

I think the Death Realm would be less off-putting to players if one could be more productive while there. Having things to do there might help to encourage longer stays and would at least give people a reason to park their characters there. More role playing props and space to move around would be an improvement.

My point of view is from both a role playing perspective and a gaming perspective. It is my opinion that the death realm as it currently is, does little to promote either area of interest. Rather than just complaining about it, I would like to point out the problems that I see and provide what I think are possible constructive solutions.

What is good about it.

I like the dark and gritty feel that it has. It is a terrific place for dark, nasty RP that might not look right against a bright, sunny backdrop. Also, from a training/grinding perspective, you can die and come back immediately without penalty. Settings wise, there is a good bit of mystery to the death realm if you read the books. Visually, there are things that leave you wondering - like the huge skeleton and the citadel. This is great, visually.

What it lacks.

It feels barren and desolate. I get the death and loneliness angle, but I think the emptiness is off putting rather than haunting. Also, it does not look like there is room for habitation. Where do the people who live there stay? Why is there no evidence of this?

From a gaming perspective, it lacks things to do. You can train down there to a very limited degree, but once you run out of resources ( mana, potions, whatever ), you need to return to the upper level to get these things.

Also as far as space and mobility goes, it feels like you are on a long, winding track rather than on a plane. In many areas, you can only got forward and backward. It lacks width if that makes any sense. If feels like you are on a track or a roller coaster for the most part.

Things that I think would make it better:

To make permanent or long term stays in the DR plausible:

* A way to quickly replenish mana and hit points.
* More mobs to train against. ( diverse mobs with a full spectrum of difficulty)
* A place to craft and a source of resources

To make role play more interesting:

* Places to hide
* Jails and cages
* Usable devices for torture and restraint.
* Devices or places designed for rituals, sacrifices, and so on
* Kitchens with meat grinders and other morbid devices.
* Perhaps some way of communicating with those above - some sort of magical device for contacting the living and dead ( perhaps at the cost of one's health or something )

Just food for thought.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: The Death Realm Needs some TLC
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 05:21:49 am »
A long time ago, I knew of a "Real Death Realm" project; so long ago that I don't know if it persists. Maybe your chance to contribute if ...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 05:35:53 am »

Yeah, there's been talk about it for years now. I hope though, that there is productive and constructive discussion that leads to an improvement that satisfies most if not all the areas that need to be addressed. The DR needs more than just a map expansion, but also needs things to make it more conducive to both gaming and role play.

Siteya

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 06:21:59 am »
I think it would be great fun to see the "throne room" added. I also had this thought once, what if there was an awesome lemur avatar (sigh, I want that the most of all things) Dakkru NPC that roamed the realm and when she laid her eyes on your avatar she zapped you back up to out of the death realm, saying something profound and nabbing and reducing a small portion of a randomized basic stat? That would add a bit more fear and gamble to traveling the underworld. A few simpler changes could be, the diseased rats down there could give hide as loots, to help with leather armor training, and some herbs to gather, etc... 

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 07:36:04 am »
/die?  ;)
it feels like you are on a long, winding track
There is a shortcut, which used to be very difficult to take. But since we have mounts with amazing jumping power, that has gotten much easier. The most interesting things to do down there for now? Some reading in the library - and climbing on the citadels roof.
I think it would be great fun to see the "throne room" added.
Actually, there is a throne, but it takes some climbing (ooc-ish mount-hopping) to get up there.
A long time ago, I knew of a "Real Death Realm" project; so long ago that I don't know if it persists. Maybe your chance to contribute if ...
As far as I remember, there were some very ambitious ideas. I wonder how this will turn out in the long run.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 07:39:13 am »
... and when she laid her eyes on your avatar she zapped you back up to out of the death realm...

Wasn't there a C=64 game "Sentinel" where you had to avoid the sight of a boss?

Oh, wait. Wrong century. — Are Lemurs slender? And how does Dakkru look, at all? Oh, sorry, that question sounds famous.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Siteya

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 11:20:33 am »
Now I have to go /die and hop around looking for the throne room, any tips as to where its at on the map Bonifarzia?

There is a description of her illuminated palish, grey skin, white hair (?) Piercing green eyes, some jagged gem cloak or such, I am thinking lemure would be the most fitting, we could get a Goddess and a new avatar, Total win!

Siteya

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 11:22:57 am »
Haha! I just realized how insane it would be to be running an rp down there and then Dakkru comes around and zaps the rp'ers out of the realm...lol, how rude :P

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 01:38:53 pm »
Before you enter the Citadel, go right; but you would probably not recognize the throne even if you stood in front of it. What you can actually do.

I remember events when the audience was allowed to enter the loges. I wonder if there is still an entrance via the library or if it required an additional teleport...

P.S.: Thoughts about the looks of Dakkru and other Gods
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 01:43:04 pm by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 03:29:54 pm »
You can get close to the throne, but can't get up there without a gm to give you a boost...

Then again, I wonder if the old trick where you drop sacks or crates might work....

Siteya

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 12:13:57 am »
Here is what I foresee Dakkru to look like, its all about the eyes... (no affiliation to the image)

Hope the link works:
http://www.ebsqart.com/art/3198/141111.jpg

Kaerli_Stronwylle

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 07:52:33 pm »
I agree that the DR needs to be fleshed out more -- I even posted a wishlist thread about this, only to get basically 0 support.

TL;DR -- the current DR is so mechanically tiny and regular that it does not make sense to treat it as significant!  It's possible to design portal mazes so they aren't endless frustration wells, btw...

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 02:25:19 pm »
a temple structure where people emerge from the DR  :thumbup:
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

iridia

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
  • a.k.a. Reniye, Paajah, Morrquea
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2015, 05:32:22 pm »
http://www.hydlaaplaza.com/smf/index.php?topic=41505.10
Link was broken...

Definetely agree that the DR misses something to make it as imposing as you would expect of such place.. especially for players who have been around for some time..
Problems IG? IRC #planeshift-gmtalk
Event idea? IRC  #ps-event

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 07:35:45 am »
The DR needs some care, sure, some of the things Rig suggest cannot be done without a map expansion, some work has been done but it's still incomplete, anyone willing to help is welcome ...

In the meanwhile I will reply a few point I think we can address:

Things that I think would make it better:

To make permanent or long term stays in the DR plausible:

This can be done, maybe Oriven can sell a few mana and health potions or maybe a version of them only functional in the DR

* More mobs to train against. ( diverse mobs with a full spectrum of difficulty)

a "full" spectrum like the one you can find in the living world is not possible without more space (bigger map) available, but improving the variety is something we can do.

* A place to craft and a source of resources

mhm interesting but there are pros and cons ... my idea is we should make it a to craft something DW specific here, before the auto-training system the DR used to be a place to train DW; we may bring that back by introducing something cool like a special magical crafting or something like that (just some thoughts).