Author Topic: Leveling combat skills  (Read 2265 times)

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
Re: Leveling combat skills
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2015, 08:28:50 pm »
I have no problem with making armor harder to train. It was too easy. My beef is that training STOPS. I discovered that while hunting clackers for their loot. For a new player it pays good. I only even noticed it when my sword skill was going up but my armor and shield were not.

The problem was created when you no longer needed to go to a trainer. It was never a problem before then. Devs have been tweaking everything since then.

I have watched the player base dwindle with many updates. This might be the end for me.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2015, 04:10:05 am »
A lower quality weapon will do less damage. There are also weapons and items that will lower various stats.
Right, and it should be noted that q 1/50 weapons do not get broken - you can even ask other players for a worn down weapon to practice (cheap and useless once training is done). And yes, buffs can help, too *cough* *copper* *cough*. If healing is an issue, food can be surprisingly useful. And once more, some players like to help weaker characters. With some healing support hunting and training can get much more interesting.

The problem was created when you no longer needed to go to a trainer.
Yeah, it gives an unfair advantage to those who effortlessly maxed their armor skills when practice was still easy and theory lessons were discarded.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 04:13:25 am by Bonifarzia »

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2015, 09:00:16 am »

Yeah, it gives an unfair advantage to those who effortlessly maxed their armor skills when practice was still easy and theory lessons were discarded.

Apply the sames rules to everything and you will have no one but role players that don't care anything about the mechanics of the game. I won't say what they are but most every craft can be spammed to level quickly.

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2015, 03:03:25 pm »

Apply the sames rules to everything and you will have no one but role players that don't care anything about the mechanics of the game. I won't say what they are but most every craft can be spammed to level quickly.
Com'on don't tell me you favor the previous system where you would have to stop training to go buy the new skill from trainers! I feel the current system is way faster and overall more user friendly from a gameplay pov. Sure it's not perfect as there are some skills that were exploitable (like armor) and to fix them we had to introduce some limits. Now those limits may not be perfectly balanced (we're still testing) but are necessary to prevent the server monopolization.

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2015, 04:49:19 pm »
I'm tired of beating a dead horse. Goodbye.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2015, 05:01:01 pm »

Com'on don't tell me you favor the previous system where you would have to stop training to go buy the new skill from trainers! I feel the current system is way faster and overall more user friendly from a gameplay pov. Sure it's not perfect as there are some skills that were exploitable (like armor) and to fix them we had to introduce some limits. Now those limits may not be perfectly balanced (we're still testing) but are necessary to prevent the server monopolization.

I have to agree with Eonwind on this. I think the new system feels a lot more natural and makes more sense than the previous one did. The current devs have also been good about listening to player feedback and tweaking the system. In the past, most things said on the forum seemed to get ignored.

Zunna

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2015, 05:32:41 pm »

cdmoreland, like I said previously and like Eonwind precised it yet again in his post, we are working on it and testing. But this take time as we aren't doing only that of our days  ;)

elstanezi

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2015, 02:54:25 pm »
A new player cannot afford potions to heal against the higher level mobs.
Yes.
I'm looking at it from the view of a new player. What if one wants to be a warrior? I doubt they would want to pick flowers. I can give my alt everything that is needed from glyphs to armor to tria but a new player doesn't have that. Someone new to the game is greatly handicapped. Potions are not free until you can kill gladiators and rogues but the question remains, can a new player do it? We say we want new players but kill incentive before they can get a good start.
yes.
Yes, leveling armor sucks.
Yes.
Zunna, the real problem as I see it is that a new player will get discouraged before they even get a good start. Once a player hits level 20 in armor he will need to fight mobs that cast spells. Waesed and Ellis needn't worry about it. A new player starts with about 400 health and will die quickly.

Is the real goal to make it so hard to level that only role-play is left? Why even bother with the mechanics of a 3D game?
Yes.

I have no problem with making armor harder to train. It was too easy. My beef is that training STOPS. I discovered that while hunting clackers for their loot. For a new player it pays good. I only even noticed it when my sword skill was going up but my armor and shield were not.

The problem was created when you no longer needed to go to a trainer. It was never a problem before then. Devs have been tweaking everything since then.

I have watched the player base dwindle with many updates. This might be the end for me.
Yes.

I am tired of Mister Eonwind as well.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 01:39:25 am by elstanezi »

CheatCat

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2015, 03:10:20 am »
Instead of blaming person A or B for not listening, you could give ideas how to improve this system. Complaining about persons will not lead anywhere.

Bonifarzia

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2015, 07:40:48 am »
Don't forget that since Eonwind joined the rules dpt, there was a considerable boost in development. Maybe not all additions worked as expected, but there's lots of good new stuff... and much more to come, I assume  :)

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2015, 08:23:12 am »
I have said nothing against anyone, only the current system for armor training. Eonwind has been doing good work and lots of it. Zunna might think I'm just complaining but I have loved this game for a few years and want it to grow.

I also need to ask if the effectiveness of armor has been reduced AGAIN or has the damage done by mobs increased?

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2015, 08:49:30 am »
I have said nothing against anyone, only the current system for armor training. Eonwind has been doing good work and lots of it. Zunna might think I'm just complaining but I have loved this game for a few years and want it to grow.

I also need to ask if the effectiveness of armor has been reduced AGAIN or has the damage done by mobs increased?
Don't worry cdmoreland, no personal offence from you has been taken by the rules department. Zunna has been testing the issue reported about armor, these tests can take quite some effort to perform but she may have found out a problem in levelling HA after a few (about 20) levels, we're inquiring the issue.
About armor effectivness it wasn't reduce nor the Mobs stats have increased, however since a few of them are now able to perform special attacks (using the experimental combat system) some of them may deal more damage than before while using thir special attacks.

Zunna

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2015, 10:26:26 am »

Absolutly not, in fact the feedbacks are mandatory so thanks  :thumbup:

Eonwind

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2015, 03:51:04 pm »
Hello All. 
We have finished our Armor Training tests and tweaks. After testing the system as it is now, we have checked every single beast’s stats to make sure they are as intended. We then have been working on the mathscript that controls the training. We have tested our changes directly on the test server. We still welcome your feedback once live on main server.
Finally, we have optimized the system and, hopefully, made it more intuitive, for the newcomers as well. Here is what you should know about armor training:
- You will receive training when you dodge a beast blow (importance of Agility to aid dodging)
- You will now receive training ALSO when the beast does you damage.
- The beast you are training on, must be in your "skill range" or it won't train you properly.
The skill range include the beasts whose attack skill is from 12 ranks lower and up than your armor skill. We also put in a variable so as you get to higher levels this gap widens (although there will be a max range). Generally there should be at least 5 to 6 beasts to choose from in your training range. 
A few quick examples to help explain
*Low level: Armor skill = 25 you require mobs with at least 13 attack skill.
*Mid Level: Armor skill = 80 you require mobs with at least 60 attack skill.
*High Level: Armor skill = 160 you require mobs with at least 130 attack skill.

=> What next? We are exploring the possibility to:
* Use the beast descriptions to help players choose the more effective mobs in their range (e.g. ; " Trepor is as strong as you" or "Trepor will be a challenge to defeat", etc.)
* review the healing effect of bread and similar items, for a possible cheap mean to heal for newcomers. Tougher warriors, with more HP point will not benefit from this as much
* Add more healing potions in beasts loot (we still need a good IC reason as to how we can possibly loot healing potion from Tefusangling for example. We are open to suggestions.)
* Possibility to increase number of weaker humanoid "mobs" like Thugs (related to above
statement).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 03:11:05 am by Eonwind »

Tzarhunt

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2015, 01:22:11 am »
* Add more healing potions in beasts loot (we still need a good IC reason as to how we can possibly loot healing potion from Tefusangling for example. We are open to suggestions.)

As far as beasts go I imagine they could drop an organ (for exemple 'warm tefusangling liver') that would be consumable as a low-power potion, with an object description to make it obvious.