Author Topic: Four revelations and a ????  (Read 2272 times)

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Four revelations and a ????
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2015, 01:27:06 am »
I think he's going to string us along and make us beg for the final revelation and when it's revealed, we shall crawl on our bellies and gnash our teeth.

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2015, 07:49:16 am »
Well, I for one would never hold your age against you, I'm 63.  ;D

I don't have the skill-set that many in-game have. I  was a truck driver until my heart attack and quadruple bypass and my sternum won't heal. I have never liked text-based rp and really don't want to read desc. that are pages long. I do enjoy the interaction with other players.

Pierre

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 12:28:40 pm »
 :love: all the revelations

cdmoreland hope your sternum will eventually knit itself back together...

Demagul Riwe

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Demagul, Veirys, Fenoren, and more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 06:07:23 pm »
With each revelation my mind is blown yet again. By now I'm pretty sure I'm one of the youngest active RPers in the game...  :innocent:

Caraick

• Veteran
  • I liked PS before it was cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2015, 12:48:57 am »
Semester's over, so I've got more time to bug you all on the forums.  Just so happens that this is the first thread I've come across.  Hope I'm not giving anything away here, but I can insert a bit of fun into the game with Revelation 3.5!  Roled and I went to the same university!  :woot: \\o// :sorcerer:

Fortunately, I've still got another year or two until I've graduated.  Since Roled is just a few years older than me ( ;) RoRo), he's the only one of us who can say he's graduated from here.  ;D
Hey look kids, it's the antichrist Marsuveus!
What? Doesn't he just look huggable? Aw, c'mon, give him a hug.

KayKay76

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2015, 01:56:36 am »
Thank you for sharing RR. From these revelations, it was nice to discover, after the years I have played ps, that I am not after all the only oldest in real age here. I am not alone.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2015, 02:24:13 am by KayKay76 »

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2015, 09:25:14 pm »
Don't be so sure, Demagul - I don't know about active players, but I'm told kids as young as eight have been on this game on a regular basis.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2015, 09:44:37 pm »

And so, to revelation(s) #4.

It has a few parts, including faith and phenomena. I think of it as the Truth Paradox.

In real life, I believe in the truths of paradox- both from philosophic studies and from manifested phenomenology. To state it more simply, because I've studied paradox a lot and because I experience it in my life and the lives of people I live with and love, I am convinced that there is no single truth to anything. I'm loaded with skepticism about the existence of truth and convinced that there are many utterly contradictory realities existing concurrently. My birthday is not Roled's, “fool” that he is.  “I am a Gemini and so am I.”

THE POINT(S): Why have I posted this series of personal revelations? To illustrate the parabolas and parallels between Roled's personality and story is to my experienced life. To clarify the “horizon of history” (Gadamer) that fashions my perceptions. To show contradictions AND consistencies, in light of this controversy about equity in the experienced real world, in the game ICly and in game's mechanics that limit equality. To point out that truth and belief are not synonymous. To affirm that individual's experiences are valid and cannot be said not to exist. In philosophy, it's referred to as agency. In game, we name it as a part of “godmodding”- telling other people what you think they think, or what you think they mean, as if your view were true.

PHENOMENA:  My life is full of paradox.  I typically describe myself as a straight, low income,  partially disabled stand-up comic, singer/songwriter and former summer league amateur first baseman, whose careers have been simultaneously as a producing and performing theatre artist and as an accountant and non-profit consultant – some of the phenomenology of my existence.  My hobbies are crossword puzzles, science, math, progressive social justice, music, history, writing, philosophy, comedy, opera, environmental activism, my dog and PlaneShift.  Roled's player is a racially identified Caucasian [thereby socially conditioned in white privilege] child of a biologically and self identified male Dad and a biologically and self identified female Mom, who grew up in the socially and economically privileged and segregated strata of a middle class subdivision in [still historically secessionist Confederate influenced] Northern Virginia six miles from Washington D.C.

FAITH:  By “faith”- belief based on paradigms and socialized world views- I'm simultaneously Roman Catholic, Protestant, Buddhist, ecumenical, agnostic and Wiccan;. I was raised, baptized and confirmed in a High Episcopal [for you Brits think Anglican] mainstream Protestant church. I'm now an active member of a Roman Catholic Parish and think Pope Francis is terrific.  We were married by three “holys” we called them, [a Jesuit Priest, a Franciscan Father, and a Psychic Priestess of Divine Love] with a mostly African American gospel choir [of which I was a member] singing and a Native American friend who smudged and blessed and drummed our wedding.  I'm also a practicing American Buddhist who has been part of the sangha of several Wiccan and Gaian communities for most of my adult life. I read Tarot for my friends, talk philosophy of neuroscience with scientifically inclined folks, and think the big bang is a pretty good theory for now until and if “we” learn more. 

PARADIGMS:  In my view, each humanly debated 'truth' is valid only up to the limitations of human capacity for knowledge, experience, inclusion, understanding, insight, inspiration, community, growth and change. Humans are massively limited beings who often mistake our own particular lives as “proof” of “universal” truth. We on Earth experience ourselves through the lens of social conditioning, history, and unrecorded or hidden history.  In the USA, we are educated in a silo-ed institutionalized system that separates knowledge pools into disciplines that too often [imho] ignores the insights of interdisciplinary study. I think we humans really have no idea what, if anything, might be universal. If anything is actually universal, by definition of the symbol we recognize as the word “true,” it must be true throughout the entire scope of time, of expanding space, of the cosmos, with not one single anomaly. Ever.  I believe we can edge closer to experiential probabilities and never get there no matter how many arrows seem to be headed right towards the bulls eye. As Tom Stoppard the British playwright said in Jumpers, “Saint Sebastian died of fright.”

These are the particulars I planned to reveal. Oh, yeah, and I am biologically female. Three of my in-game friends discerned my real life gender within a week or so of role playing with me. Made me wonder why- and I determined to role play in a more nuanced and cross stereotypical way- addressing age, gender, sexual attraction, friendship, age, and motivations.  Most of my friends in game know.  If you read this far and didn't now I'm in real life a woman, well, now you know.

THE HEART OF MY REVELATION #4:  I care about equity and influence. This is the main reason I have played PlaneShift for eight years. The person, my friend, who introduced me to PS and sat next to me as I learned this arcane thing called a video game, left PS because they experienced a high degree of bullying, sexism and homophobia in character role play, in gossip comments and especially in dealing with the powers on the development and art teams. That person is extremely talented, was a developer and writer, a technical genius, and is yet another loss in the PS community.  I didn't think it was fair. So, I promised myself I would play a male gay warrior hero character who was emotional and philosophical. I determined to level stats so I could compete, make friends ICly and OOCly if I could, and see how deep the homophobia and sexism was embedded in this particular game's leadership.  I fear I have found the phenomenological answer.

Unless you have questions, this is all I intended to address in this thread.  I wanted to spread it out over time to see what might happen within the leadership concerning these issues of inequity. And because I hoped it might be more fun for some of us.

Thanks so much for playing with me. Thanks for reading.  For those who do, thanks for caring.  :love:

me
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2015, 10:54:59 pm »
I hope this isn't a manifesto... or the prequel to an exit notice.

No doubt you have gleaned some biases and prejudices, but if you will let me put on the horns and play devil's advocate for a moment, at what point is the level of biases tolerable? We all have biases one way or another, so expecting sterility is obviously flawed, and so too is the expectation of a near-sterile environment.  On the other end of the spectrum, flat out bullying and harassment is definitely intolerable, but should there not be a middle ground where the level of undesirable bias and prejudice can be accepted as background noise?

"I fear I have found the phenomenological answer."

I'm curious about your findings with regard to players and non-players, but don't want to derail your thread.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 04:09:57 am by Rigwyn »

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2015, 03:06:34 am »
Roled's player is a racially identified Caucasian [thereby socially conditioned in white privilege] child of a biologically and self identified male Dad and a biologically and self identified female Mom, who grew up in the socially and economically privileged and segregated strata of a middle class subdivision in [still historically secessionist Confederate influenced] Northern Virginia six miles from Washington D.C.

White privilege doesn't exist. Rich privilege exists. White privilege does not. I was born where you lived, but moved to some very racist places. As a little white girl, I was picked on and beaten by other children. I didn't know it at the time, but it was because of my skin color. It made me very violent. So f*** that noise. Identity politics is a curse on humanity.

I agree with most everything else you said, especially in that paragraph titled "paradigms."

As a woman playing a woman, I don't see any sexism inherent in the game. Nor do I think the developers are sexist. I prefer a more realistic approach to dimorphism, but Planeshift offers perfect equality instead. Everyone is forced to defend the realm, instead of just sending the men and leaving the women at home. That would make for a boring game, though.

As for homophobia? I don't see it. I honestly don't think I've ever seen any OOC homophobia in this game. My character is not homophobic, but she certainly uses it as a means of slandering other characters. She wrote an all-caps poem about a dwarf she didn't like, with reference to Roled. There is a law against racism, but none against homophobia, and as same-sex marriage is not allowed I assumed same-sex relationships were frowned upon (at least publicly). The developers never commented on my thread asking about this, so I still don't know what the official IC stance is on homosexuality.

ÂŻ\_(ツ)_/ÂŻ

edit: I forgot to address homophobia from the developers... Honestly, I don't think they are homophobic. I think they don't know what to do about it. I wish Talad would clear this up, because right now we're left to wonder, and not everyone assumes the same answer.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 03:10:52 am by Volki »
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Siteya

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2015, 12:39:02 pm »
Holy Mother Xiosia!!! I yelled out, "Yes!!!" with wild laughter after every revelation. Lhaa, who has a knack for figuring out everyone, was extremely floored, he could not even believe the first few revelations were real. Thanks for sharing and now I know who to send my writing to for review. :P  Oh how I love that energetic, passionate elf called Roled!

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2015, 01:06:48 pm »
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32856232

Very concise reasoning for including equity in Ireland's constitution from this article from the BBC.
"What 'yes' vote would mean

The Republic of Ireland has a written constitution which can only be changed by referendum.

If the proposal is passed, a marriage between two people of the same sex would have the same status under the Irish constitution as a marriage between a man and a woman.

They would be recognised as a family and be entitled to the constitutional protection for families.

Civil partnerships for same-sex couples have been legal in Ireland since 2010, giving couples legal protection which could be changed by the government.

However, if the vote is passed, married gay people would have a constitutional standing that could only be removed by another popular vote."
Today I am proud of my Irish heritage...
/me

Tuathanach

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Arch Chancellor of the Knowledge Seekers
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge seekers
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2015, 01:31:38 pm »
Roled they voted Yes (bbc) by about 2:1. \\o//
Shindroks Crater Project Wiki
Interested contact Myself or Zunna.
We are contactable ingame, by PM or on Discord

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2015, 05:10:39 pm »
\\o//     \\o//      \\o//
 IRELAND! POPULISM!  HUMAN RIGHTS! LOVE IN ACTION!!
 \\o//    \\o//    \\o//

Siteya

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2015, 10:23:41 pm »
Yay!!!! Happy Dance!!!