Author Topic: Application for Hall of learning  (Read 458 times)

Tuathanach

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
  • Arch Chancellor of the Knowledge Seekers
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge seekers
Application for Hall of learning
« on: June 12, 2015, 04:13:12 pm »
Application for Hall of learning

Introduction.

The Knowledge Seekers has ran the University of Yliakum for many years (since 13th Nov 2004). We have always found purpose in education and exploration. We've always examined Yliakum closely, and noted the possibilities. These possibilities are then taught to people of all Yliakum who wish to be taught, so they can advance in their chosen profession. Our moto has always been "We come to teach." and as such, we'd like to take this opportunity to open more to the public.

Our proposal.

We would like to propose Amdeneir as a centre of Learning for Yliakum and in particular we wish to open a hall of learning near the hospital. This would be an opportunity for citizens of Yliakum to learn, and teach, about their surroundings and history as well as improving skills and magic. We University of Yliakum will take responsibility for maintain the building. We aim to provide regular lessons based upon current interest from citizens.
• Provide lessons on a variety of things including.
       o Communications and Public Events
            - Events
            - Fictional Writing
            - Professional Writing
       o Crafting
            - Catering (food and drink)
            - Combat
            - Smithing (weapons, armor & jewelry)
       o Magic
            - Alchemy and potions
            - Enchanting
            - Healing (inc non magical methods)
            - The ways.
       o Stalactite Studies
            - Ranger Skills (inc cartography, flaura and fauna)
            - Stalactite studies (what physically makes Yliakum)
       o Ylianties
            - Anthropology
            - History
            - Sociology
            - Theology
• Open the hall for others to teach and give lessons.
• Support those interested in hosting events within hall.
• Host a library for Amdeneir.

Rules
• The Hall of learning is for all citizens to receive a free education.
• All are free to teach, including those not affiliated with KS.
• All teachings must be within the Law as set by Octarchal decree.
• No charge for entry to be required.
• KS have responsibility to make sure regular lessons are held within hall.
• KS to actively seek citizens opinion on what is desired from lessons.
• KS will look to provide any props etc required by those giving lessons.
• All users are asked to respect the hall and remove unwanted items with them when they leave.

[Note this request is for a public guild house owned by the Octarchy and not KS. It is to aid more RP and aid new players adapt to PS. Over the years there has been several groups discuss one subject or other then fade, this aims to pull them together and hopes to promote more continuity.]
Shindroks Crater Project Wiki
Interested contact Myself or Zunna.
We are contactable ingame, by PM or on Discord

milidh

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Re: Application for Hall of learning
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 04:33:32 am »
Sounds interesting, when will it happen? That is a lot of subjects how can you teach them all? Can I or others teach and how? What happens when some one wants to do something not on your list. Also why Amdeneir.

I notice you say its public but yet KS seem to be controlling it. Anyway good luck I think if done correctly could be good fun.

Tuathanach

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge seekers
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 06:22:17 am »
Sounds interesting, when will it happen?
When and if it will happen has not been decided. This is here to try and gauge the interest in such a project. If there is sufficient interest this will encourage the Octarchy to grant this.

That is a lot of subjects how can you teach them all?
In KS we are able to teach most of these subjects and where we can not we seek others who can. Also some of these lessons may be done as discussions, which will only need a moderator.

Can I or others teach and how?
Anyone willing to teach/talk about a certain subject is welcome too. KS will support and facilitate this by setting up the hall and also will advertise and promote your event for/with you.

What happens when some one wants to do something not on your list.
We are open to discussions on any subject and as stated above we will seek out teachers/speakers for that subject if we are unable to accommodate within KS.

why Amdeneir.
Amdeneir is a beautiful city that is much under used. It also lends itself well to a city of academia. With hospital in Amdeneir we could work in conjuction to provide more effective and practical healing lessons.

I notice you say its public but yet KS seem to be controlling it. Anyway good luck I think if done correctly could be good fun.
It will be an open building all the time (current plan). KS will be there more to encourage it's use and also make sure it is in good order.

milidh

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 04:18:11 am »
Thank you for answers. I wish you best of success as I believe PS could benefit from this as could Amdeneir.

Shatterkiss

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 11:58:37 am »
Love the idea.  \\o//

Tuathanach

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge seekers
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 03:33:27 pm »
Thanks to those I have spoken too, response has been positive. Another use for this when not being used to educate could also be used as a meeting room, for guilds/groups who do not have access to a GH.

I look forward to hearing more feedback and any other ideas on what would also fit with what is planned.

Zunna

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 05:30:31 pm »
Since there is archeology in game, archeologists in character (Klannarr sisters) and excavations sites, it could be nice to add an Archeology section in "Ylianties" category, if possible  :D

Tuathanach

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge seekers
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 07:42:51 am »
I am sure the Klannarr sisters could do guest lectures. Which could be an "intro to archaeology" before taking people out for field lessons.

Cairn

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Older than a few mountains.
    • View Profile
    • Creative Minds Forum
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 02:32:54 pm »
One of those ideas that you can do a lot with, garnered that we RP it.

I give a large thumbs up and hope it goes through!
I regret to announce that this is the end.

I bid you all a very fond farewell

iridia

• Hydlaa Resident
  • a.k.a. Reniye, Paajah, Morrquea
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 11:21:25 pm »
The "Open Hall of Learning" will make a great addition to Amdeneir and together with the hospital will be reason for plenty of rp in a city that has been underused for a very long time.
Learning about the world around your character is a lot more fun to do when you can do it while rp'ing and interacting with players and not just from books or during quests.

KS has created rp with the university for a long time and organizing this hall at a location that is suitable and accessible will allow you to contribute even more. A centralized place should provide a good start for initiatives and groups to develop their ideas and with the experience and resources of KS have a much better chance to last.

Various players have contacted me since the application was posted to tell me they really like the idea of having the hall in Amdeneir. Also the discussions in gossip about various topics and events we have done about PS lore are clear signs that players have a serious interest in the rp and IC knowledge the hall will offer them.

The GM Team thinks the hall is a great initiative and a location will be made available.

Congratz & good luck!
Problems IG? IRC #planeshift-gmtalk
Event idea? IRC  #ps-event