Author Topic: Small group events  (Read 1190 times)

Duec2

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Small group events
« on: July 18, 2015, 06:14:23 pm »
Hello,  I would like to see more small group events.  I was on the hunt for Paajah and it was only 8 people.  That was a lot of fun.  Easy to coordinate, Few dropped off and came back (wasting lots of time), and we stayed on task.   Some of these events with 20, 30, 40 or even 50 people take too much time and are hard to work with (I am not saying we should never have them but we can have a few of both).

This could be accomplished by signing up ahead of time and if you are not on time, than the next alternate would come.  Or just taking 5 or 10 people on line to go do what is needed to be done.  There could be events for guilds as well run by the GM's.  We could use a combination of many methods of setting up events too.

What are your thoughts about having some events like this on the calendar?

Do you have any ideas or suggestions about how they could be run?

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Small group events
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 11:39:43 pm »
Duec~ small group events are fun! Mostly they are organized and run by players... so keep your eye on the forums, or ask in game in the gossip channel. Sometimes these events are planned with lead time and occasionally make it to the calendar, but in my experience they often occur with just a few days notice.
Make your interest know to rpers and they will , most will, include you in invitations.  Also check the bulletin boards in the cities- sometimes small events pop up that way altho often the in game kiosks are out of date.

I'll let you know if I hear of any events upcoming. Let player organizers know your time zone too- that helps as well.
RR
"RR is a PieSexual" ~ Monala

Thoss

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Explorers Guild
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 01:41:26 pm »
Duec2, I also likek the idea of getting invovled with small RPs, as well as some form of signing up in advance as being able to have a group all be online happenstance with current numbers is.... challening.

Anyhow, i'd be glad to brainstorm some ideas.
Thoss Yonbur/Aarnir Irety/Oslorod Krolar/Myno Eljin

Candy

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 09:14:25 am »
Small groups are way easier on the players. However, in order to keep things fair for GM events, there would have to be more of them - we have to remember that these people have real lives, too. As for player-run events, if you want to see more of something like this, the best thing to do is initiate it yourself.
Role Play Preferences
[1: gossip] Glaciusor: There's now a guy in skimpy armor having war flashbacks about daemons. Have fun Hydlaa

iridia

• Hydlaa Resident
  • a.k.a. Reniye, Paajah, Morrquea
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 02:09:55 pm »
For the GM's it's a whole lot easier to do small events too! But Candy certainly makes a point; these events should be open to all players and we simply are limited in time.

Small and simple events could be redone for smaller groups (and in some cases we also redo them), however with events that have complex plots and/or are part of a long term event (like KNM) than it's a whole different story. Even when such events are redone chances are you (and your char) already have heard about it ic'ly. Not to mention spoilers that can be given OOC or usage of OOC information ic'ly etc.

Ofcourse with some help from players we can do a whole lot more, want to know how you can help? See: Player Event Initiative & Player Event Characters for more information!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 10:08:58 pm by iridia »
Problems IG? IRC #planeshift-gmtalk
Event idea? IRC  #ps-event

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 06:13:09 pm »
Just a reminder- GMs are not necessary for players to create events...

AND perhaps a question to ask is, why are so many of the players who used to create events not doing so anymore? Basic management tool- feedback loops.

Mariana Xiechai

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 08:56:47 am »
Well!

I for one have found GM involvement to be quite helpful. While I also run events that have been generated by myself and other players, GMs have been happy and willing to provide us with things I couldn't acquire without them such as the hospital, or moving William to the weekly Markets and planting a billboard there. I've found Iridia to be especially helpful in this, and have never had any issue when asking for her assistance, no matter how involved that assistance might be.

I feel safe in saying that the game moderators and devs are quite happy with player-generated role play and have demonstrated multiple times their willingness to bolster it. 

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 05:47:48 pm »
Enjoy your gm supervised games. I'm sure you folks will have a blast. They have lots of nice looking props to offer, they can move things, rename things and make things talk. Their tricks are so tricky, they will blow your mind. They will push you over the edge, so to speak. Excited yet? Well, you should be.  :love:

As for why some of us are not running events or playing, real life comes first and game time follows in moderation. If you spend too much time gaming or trolling the forums, you miss out on life ( life, as in the things that happen when you are away from your puter). It's one of those things we all learn to balance by tipping one way a little too much, then the other way, then back again.

Call Roled a troll if you will, but let's not forget what Roled has contributed to role playing in Planeshift. Her point stands though, but I would like to reword it a bit differently for those who missed it.

Have you ever tried eating waxed fruit? If so, read on.

To stike up role play or to run an event, all it takes is a player who is willing to step forward and give it a try. Very few players seem to be willing to do this, and I think it's simply a personality thing. Not everyone feels comfortable leading, and that's ok, but for those who are interested in leading, the stage is yours. You don't need a gm to nanny you in return for decorations, lipstick and tricks. You only need your imagination, the courage to try, ears with which to listen to your audience, and a thick skin so that when things don't work out, you can brush the dust off your knees, listen to your audience's criticism,improve your plan and try again.

The fruit may look good, but if it doesn't taste good, then who will continue to eat it?

If you have creative ideas but are not sure how to implement them into casual role play or an event, then definitely reach out and ask someone who has been around and has run player events successfully. Your seeds of creativity are priceless; they are like pearls. Do not throw then into the rocks or the thorny briars. Do not feed them to the swine as they say, but put them into fertil soil so they can grow and flourish. Cover them so they are not plucked prematurely by nosey birds.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 05:50:16 pm by Rigwyn »

Demagul Riwe

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Demagul, Veirys, Fenoren, and more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2015, 06:58:27 pm »
I'd like to add that, while totally improvised "let's see where this goes" RPs can't be replaced by structured GM events, some players aren't as comfortable with their RP skills as others. I remember little newbie me was terrified of stuff like that because I was afraid of screwing things up somehow. Sometimes it's through structured, simple, short GM events that players can become comfortable with RPing and the rest of the community.

Jilerel

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 01:00:02 pm »
About the small groups events, it's a really good idea, and even, I'd like to say, necessary.
In one sense, can't we considerate any open RP scene as an event ?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 05:53:05 pm by lilura »

Roled

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 12:11:12 am »
Hmm was this thread redacted? I haven't read the forums for a few days, but I read it last night.  Apparently this discussion turned into some dischord... but now those posts seem to be gone?

All I was going to say is, no, I don't hate GMs. Some of my best friends are/were GMs.  ::|  :whistling:

I don't much like injustice however.

Yet, now, disappearances? censorship or faulty memory? ... well, hmmm,
Roled

lilura

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • report posts of yours that you want deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2015, 03:23:01 pm »
I cleaned up the thread a bit to hopefully get it back on topic    :flowers:

Monala arches a brow. "Wait, so eatin' is like..." she shakes her head. "Er, nevermind."
[1: gossip] Monala: Lilu's piesexual.

Wocib

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2015, 04:14:53 am »
 :-X
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:51:30 am by Wocib »

Pierrette

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2015, 04:30:44 am »
Lilura you are clearly doing everything RIGHT, please keep getting rid of all off topic troll comments including MINE!!  Cheers  :love:

If it is of any interest, I love having the knowledge that the GM team is ready and willing to help with small player driven rp events and love the reminder from commenters that player driven rp events can be done on our own.

Cheers Lilura, Rigs, Roledito and others.

If the GM team would make me a hospital as well - it is not clear to me if the hospital is only for Mariana and friends, or is open for RP - I would also shut down any negative comments.

As it is, I love the plethora of ideas for all small RPs.  Thanks everyone, en serio  :flowers:.

EDIT:  [Line strikethrough, I was wrong.  Plus that was snarky.  I think I was irritated from a previous thread a little while ago.  Dang.  Sorry.]
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 02:50:15 pm by Pierrette »

Demagul Riwe

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Demagul, Veirys, Fenoren, and more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2015, 06:08:47 am »
Yes. I'm really glad that this thread got cleaned up. Things were getting ugly and  :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

Thank you, Lilura!

With that said...

One of my favorite things about PS is how reachable the GMs are when you need something, be it help setting up an event, some extra things to make an RP that much more immersive, or just help. We have so many ways to get that help when we need it, unlike some games where the people in charge just sit around and act all stoic and "too good for us lowly players". I guess events are just a matter of taste. Some people like GM events, others don't, and that's perfectly okay. I, personally, find them really fun, as it adds cool new IC experiences for my character(s).
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 06:14:49 am by Demagul Riwe »