Author Topic: [GM] Seizure of the Red Crystal Den by order of the Octarch  (Read 3819 times)

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: [GM] Seizure of the Red Crystal Den by order of the Octarch
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 04:08:36 pm »
There are many things about RCD I do not know.

I do not know under which conditions the house was given to whom.
I do not know what were the troubles between the people running the RCD.
I do not know what were the troubles between them and the GMs.
I do not know whether the seizure of the RCD was justified or not.
I do not know...

But I do know that this one line is very much disturbing:

Damola says silently "They didnĀ“t even talk with me."

cdmoreland

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Main: Waesed Waesech
    • View Profile
    • Ad Libertatem
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2016, 04:32:37 pm »
They didn't tell me, either. I found out here on the forum. I was even at the Devs meeting Sunday.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2016, 08:24:04 pm »
Miadon is right. I was there. Although I think the most I ever saw was about 215 online on a Saturday probably in 2006-2007, and that would have included quite a few alts. I'll say it once: The project needs a serious rebranding and update of the artwork. Go ahead and reset the database while you are at it, nothing drives players away like this community. Hate to say it, but its true and it has been demonstrated to be true, time and time again. Won't argue, peace.

Pierrette

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 01:45:51 am »
Seriously happy for the outcome - I think the RCD will be awesome as an open space for RP, honestly feel it's the best move - agree strongly that speaking to the current owners before announcing it here would have been extremely kind and thoughtful.  I cannot understand the reasoning behind the team's announcing it here without speaking to Damala and Waesad - it's like shooting yourself in the foot and trying to drive great players away.  Seriously cannot understand that.

EDIT:  It's like a compulsion to sabatoge yourself, that's how I feel about the decision - there are so many good GMs and devs, how could you lay it out this way and imagine that the old good players who have tried to make it work would not be driven away?  Sabotaging a great game, pure sabotage.  People like the hospital staff and the ex-RCD staff make us worthwhile, why eff that up in this way?  Same for other great RPers who were driven away with heavy-handedness.  It's like they have to eff up what could be great.  Anyone of us still playing, all the 40 alts, please take note of this for IRL - don't sabotage yourselves, play all out, let yourselves be great.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:51:23 am by Pierrette »

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 04:57:40 am »
Sorry to hear about the contention here, but if I may make a suggestion... maybe it should just be shut for a little while and another space opened up to pick up the slack during that time, if possible. From what I've read, it sounds almost exactly like the contention from as far back as when Lhaa and Aiwendil were running it. That's rather amazing when you consider that neither the staff nor the GMs are the same. Some might not have even been playing back then.

History seems to repeat itself there. Maybe it's something about the place. Maybe a little time for it to lie fallow before opening it back up to everyone will do it and everyone that's been connected with it some good. If it's anything like the last times this issue came up, both previous staff and GMs alike could use some time to recuperate.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 05:47:34 am »
Eh.. I think it's a different situation. The problem ( from my limited perspective ) is that it was kept under lock and key ( as originally set up ). The problem with that is that it becomes someone's full time job to keep it open.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 06:23:53 am »
True, but sometimes a situation can develop an atmosphere about it that gets inherited right down the line despite small changes in the scenario. No guarantee that a small break will help, but it's something to consider.

Raikana

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 07:50:04 am »
The worst part is that there is still no answer from GMs about their rudeness in closing the Den without telling it to the current holders... but yes, this game has potential to be great but sometimes the staff thinks they can disrespect people, and that will be the death of the game (completely agree with Miadon in that!). Please Iridia, even if I know your intentions are the best, come here and apologize: that would be the best move.

That said, i'm sure this is for the good... let's wait and see!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 11:00:19 am by Raikana »
Characters: Zakena Plip

iridia

• Hydlaa Resident
  • a.k.a. Reniye, Paajah, Morrquea
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 07:58:07 pm »

Let me start by saying this: It is never easy to make a decision like this and we are very much aware that for some of you it is hard to accept. However, again I'd like to express that we do this with the best interest for the community in mind.

We have spoken with the players that were running the RCD in the last 18 months (or longer). We asked them to make a plan for the RCD, to revive activity because there seemed to be quite some players in the community who wanted to see that happen.
When I asked for this plan I was also clear about consequences for the RCD if they could not live up to what is expected of usage of public guildhouses. (See info about OSP or GH as a reward.) We are simply drawing one line for all the initiatives and public houses we have in game and after the issues we witnessed with the RCD since then and the lack of a plan 3 months later..
We see no other option than to close the RCD.

We are open to new plans and ideas for the RCD, for the time being the RCD will be in the hands of the GM team.

At those who have ideas for future use of the RCD: you can apply for a public house at any time. However, IC'ly your idea needs to fit the location and be approvable by the Octarchy, the RCD as your location is not guaranteed.

This Friday (Jan 15th) at 22:00 UTC until 23:00 UTC we are available at the RCD for players that want to pick up the items they left at the RCD.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:03:40 pm by iridia »
Problems IG? IRC #planeshift-gmtalk
Event idea? IRC  #ps-event

Pierrette

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 08:13:03 pm »
We have spoken with the players that were running the RCD in the last 18 months (or longer).
/snip
We see no other option than to close the RCD.

This makes sense to me and also is (obviously) your/the team's call (I strongly agree with the decision fwiw).

Just one line to current managers, a PM or something, to say "this is how it's going to go down," is the respectful collaborative thing to do.  Instead of having most of the (forum) community being upset/confused with the PS team for the treatment of people we respect, and the current RCD management totally discouraged about Planeshift...

You would have management pissed because not agreeing with the decision, but everything feeling on the up and up.

Simply a matter of giving a one line heads up before posting in the forum about it.  That would have me completely shut up here, except to be glad for the decision.  And glad that the hospital somehow proved proof of concept and seemed to help the team come to this decision.

Illy, I think your idea is funny, kind of like it (even though I don't want that to happen) - but there is something strange about how we all interact over that place, it's not to do with the place though, it's something about the structure of the team and the structure of the player base (which cracks me up because of the BRILLIANT suggestion to have the RCD be a pvp zone - ah those old darlings Lhaa and Aiw are rolling over in the death realm now  :devil: - but it's clear the player base is very different atm)...

Ciao people...

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2016, 01:43:22 am »
Illy, I think your idea is funny, kind of like it (even though I don't want that to happen) - but there is something strange about how we all interact over that place, it's not to do with the place though, it's something about the structure of the team and the structure of the player base (which cracks me up because of the BRILLIANT suggestion to have the RCD be a pvp zone - ah those old darlings Lhaa and Aiw are rolling over in the death realm now  :devil: - but it's clear the player base is very different atm)...

Well, the nature of the player base and the GM team actually changed pretty significantly from back then, as far as I saw when last in game, and yet the issues over that place are pretty much the same. However, one could argue that it's the nature of RP. However, one thing I am certain is that both GMs and previous staff are probably pretty worn out regarding this and could probably use some support and a kind word by now. :flowers: I'm certain that much won't change.

I'm sure both sides worked hard to make this work, but, in the end, there is only so much a handful of people can do. I'm sure people appreciated the efforts that went into the place both seen and unseen.

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2016, 02:23:19 am »
Seizure of the Red Crystal Den by order of the Octarch

Someone's going to be very surprised by the items of questionable legality hidden in the cellar.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

Vonor

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Languages: English / German
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2016, 03:26:36 am »
What do we have here?

We have two different versions.

One: Iridia speaking on behalf of the GM Team - not necessarily meaning she herself did it or decided it or said it.
So the GM Team states that there have been attempts to contact the RCD management. GM Team also states they have spoken to them and requested a change.

On the other hand we have Damola and cdmoreland saying they have not known anything about this.

Iridia stated in her first Post that the GM Team asked the RCD staff for a plan and that this plan was not provided.
Damola states that *she* has not been informed OOC'ly.

This is quite simple to me. All Damola has to do is to get in contact with the GM Team either on IRC, the Forums or ingame via petition and clear this directly with the team.
There is absolutely no reason for anyone else who is not involved with the RCD Management to point fingers at the GM Team / Devs about how they treat the community. It's always easy to point fingers and blame others, but fact is, we (everyone not directly invovled) don't know what was communicated between whom.

Now to the seizure. I can't say much about the activity of the RCD, cuz I am only back about 2 months now. But fact is, the RCD was given to a certain group to create RP for the community. Or IC'ly it was lent to them by the Octarchy for the benefit of the Citizens of Hydlaa.
If that has not worked out due to the managers not being around enough and only open on special ocassions instead of having open 24/7 so that players could use for RP anytime they want, the Agreements (both IC and OOC) have failed and the Octarchy just takes it back.

It's not like the RCD will be lost. The way I understand it is, that the GMs plan on making that Guild House available to the public for usage, so everyone - including the RCD team - can use it for RP and hosting events.
Iridia also mentioned it's possible for anyone to apply for the OSP and I don't see her mention that the RCD is excluded from applying again.

So if there is an interest by the RCD team to continue the RCD simply make a plan and provide it to the Octarchy. Find people interested in joining the staff of the RCD so it is more active. And if you don't win the OSP again there are other places that can be used for events the OSP team wants to run.

Look at Iridia's signature: Event idea? IRC #ps-event
This channel was formed by a former Settings Developer many years ago for the crystal eclipse event series for everyone from the PS Staff to participate (including settings devs, engine devs, prospects and GMs and others). That the channel is now open for players to join to present their event idea to get support by the GMs is a good sign. Unfortunately I have not yet seen anyone join in there other than GMs.

So, the possibilities to host events are available. Both, with and without GM support. Use the possibilities instead of complaining how badly the community is treated!
Quote from: Mordraugion
Quote from: zanzibar
::|  What just happened?

you got Caarried

Sulaika

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2016, 12:19:04 pm »
Honestly I find it frustrating how it went either. I have been busy over christmas and now too, due to establish my living room and to extend the flat. So it seems it was a good time to just lock it down, when the staff is not around daily. There has been more than one event last year, but anyway. What I dont get is that we have made a plan and we never got an answer of the GM-Team so far I know. And its interesting that the renting the Den for events is taken up, which we have done too. I would have spared my precious time thinking how to make the Den a better place for my real life before christmas, if I known it would be closed down. And I am always open for IC-PMs here too. So whomever wanted a key for an event, if I get contacted here via pm I can hand the key over. I feel bad for contacting Dannae to make the flyer for renting the Den, as I stole her precious real life time with that too. Excuse me for my frustrating sound of those words, but it is like it is.

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2016, 05:56:09 pm »
Another most interesting line:

What I dont get is that we have made a plan and we never got an answer of the GM-Team so far I know.

Looks like we are going to have a big discussion at the next Dev Meeting. Or maybe even before? I offer my help in organizing and moderating this.
And I need to add one more thing: Maybe (just maybe!) the RCD made some mistakes in not running things as it was asked, but one thing is sure:
They all had put their heart in this place, and this should never be forgotten, and always be respected.