Author Topic: An Unreal Arcade  (Read 232781 times)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
An Unreal Arcade
« on: January 04, 2017, 03:13:39 pm »

Some updates on our Unreal Engine tests, and an arcade to remind old times.

We started the Unreal Engine project about 1 year and half ago. The start has been pretty rough, as we realized Unreal Engine is not specifically made to build MMOs, even if surely you can build such a game with it, but not without a lot of work. Probably one of the mistakes we did was to start converting our code in UE without first trying to learn how the engine works, and how it should be used. This lowered our motivation, and we restarted to focus on the current PS version. In the last year or so we had very little activity on Unreal, but the good news is that we restarted few weeks ago, with a new approach and new motivation.

So we decided to make a small single player game to test few things like: importing some of our models and at least one animated character, learn the blueprint system (very powerful), see the workflow in packaging a game and making patches, all using UE without too much custom code. The result is a simple game : Crystal Hunt. Some (probably few) of you may remember we had a crystal hunt also in the main PS server many years ago, and this is a revamp of that idea, but for now single player.

You can download the game for the three platforms we support.

Windows version is here.
MacOSX Version is here.
Linux Version is here.

For Windows please be sure to install the Microsoft MSVC 2015 redistributables as its a prerequisite. If any of you are still on win 32bit system, we also compiled a version for it, here.

This is the very first test we do with Unreal, so will be good if you could report any issues you find. You can also tell us the FPS you get in game. (first line in the right side of the screen after pressing F2).

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2017, 07:45:18 pm by Talad »

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: An Unreal Arcade
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 03:24:13 pm »
aka Unreal Molecular Blue, aka Hungry Hungry Kran!   ;D

Also remember, this is a very stripped down product.  Just a first step to learn and build on.  We've been talking about UE for quite some time so it's great to finally have something concrete using UE4.    \\o//

Feel free to report feedback, FPS (with your specs), high scores, and anything interesting you may have encountered.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:28:53 pm by Mordaan »
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Mairon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 03:40:37 pm »
Alrighty.

Specs:
i5 6600k 3,5 Ghz
RAM 16GB
GPU: Asus Strix RX 480 8GB

FPS is 62 everywhere (seems there is a cap), but stable.

Also Hydlaa looks like covered in marble dust.

Oh, and there`s not much time to admire city`s sights. But the jump boost is amazing - dream gravity as is.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 03:42:45 pm by Mairon »
DONT TREAD ON ME

Ralas

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Explorers Guild
    • View Profile
    • Reincrownation :D
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 04:22:27 pm »
27-30ish FPS.

Uh, old but decent-ish specs.  It's been a while since i've looked inside my computer :P
Yliakum, a really big crystal. These are the voyages of the Explorers Guild.  Its ongoing mission: to explore strange new maps, to seek out new life and new NPCs.  To boldly glitch where no one has glitched before.

www.reincrownation.com :D

Nairan

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 04:41:21 pm »
40-50 FPS

Old memories of Crystal hunt coming back hehe! Keep p looking good. there are some clipping Areas (near Finara) but im happy and exited to see more
http://i64.tinypic.com/2hqxjrs.png
http://i64.tinypic.com/24mgi84.jpg  Shadows by Tower..
http://i67.tinypic.com/11vkx3a.png

im not really good at doing screenshots.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:00:54 pm by Nairan »

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 10:47:41 pm »
With me it doesnt work, it says i need the Microsoft MSVC 2015 redistributables but i allready have them installed. Trying again a bit later.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 04:13:40 am »
MSVC redistributables are available in 32-bit and 64-bit code. If you have a 64-bit Windows (most probably since Windows 8, quite certainly with Windows 10), you should always install both, to ensure support for both 32-bit and 64-bit applications relying on them.

AMD Phenom-II X4, GeForce 9600: 8..12 fps; looks like heavy use of shaders. And I got a warning about a driver version with known issues, recommending an update which is not available for this outdated GPU.

The landscape in the north (near the Iron Tower) looks messed, probably wrong height scaling. And I had an issue behind the temple: There were two sapphires close to each other, but none of them was taken when standing above them.

Will test again with a GT? 450.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 05:15:05 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Ravna

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 06:45:53 am »
I should probably post a few observations:

1) FPS is indeed capped at 60 (so won't go much higher than 62~64). Additionally, it would be really interesting to see a comparison between what you get inside this demo (without using any speed boosts) and what you get in the old client in Hydlaa at high graphic settings (type /fps ingame to show fps at the top left of your screen). Because basically, if you have 12FPS, that might not seem much, but if you only have 6 in the old client, that would still be an improvement. So far, on a few dev PCs it seems like the fps improves, but well, it would be interesting to see if that holds up to larger ranges of system specs.

2) The landscape was not copied from the old game since it does not have a landscape (all hills around Hydlaa are just textures). As a result, the landscape in this arcade release is not optimal, at a few places it might not line up perfectly with Hydlaa itself, in particular if you go outside the city this will be noticeable. This is being worked on, and will be fixed when the rest of the map is completed (places like the Winch, Arena and Hydlaa East still need to be placed, and until they are, landscaping will have to wait a little).

3) The crystals are spawned in partially random patterns (as far as I remember), so sometimes they might spawn at locations where they cannot be picked up properly (or only at great effort).

Edit: figured I should add some fps as well (note: this system is about 6 years old and wasn't top of the line back then) :)

UE-Arcade:
40 fps while looking at the windowless tower from behind the plaza fountain (which appears to be the lowest FPS I can get anywhere)
Regular client:
22 fps from the same point, and the tower + some other buildings were not rendered (half of the fountain water wasn't rendered either)

I can get 55~60 fps in most other places using the arcade client. In the regular client I can get about 65 fps when looking at something on the edge of the city, but when I look towards places where there are more buildings (even if obscured by others), I get around 30 FPS.
So while it seems like UE only draws what you can see, the current client draws *everything* in the direction you are looking at, even if you have a blank wall filling your whole screen (this is actually one of the reasons why the arena and hydlaa east are different maps).
In general, for me, the UE arcade demo performs far better in Hydlaa, and I get cool stuff like shadows as a free bonus.

Relevant System Specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 955.
16GB RAM  (not really relevant as long as one doesn't run out)
ATI HD 6870 (1GB) vid card
Windows 7
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 07:07:09 am by Ravna »
Find me on IRC if you need me, don't use pms.

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 08:40:15 am »
For the ones of you with low FPS, can you please try to edit this file: %localappdata%\MyProject2\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\Engine.ini

You need to start the game once, then close it so it creates this file.

Adding at the end the following section. This will set most of the parameters to low quality settings. Let me know if it improves for you.

[/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]
r.DefaultFeature.Bloom=False
r.DefaultFeature.AmbientOcclusion=False
r.DefaultFeature.AmbientOcclusionStaticFraction=False
r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=False
r.DefaultFeature.LensFlare=False
r.DefaultFeature.AntiAliasing=0
r.LightFunctionQuality=0
r.ShadowQuality=0
r.Shadow.CSM.MaxCascades=1
r.Shadow.MaxResolution=512
r.Shadow.RadiusThreshold=0.06
r.Shadow.DistanceScale=0.6
r.Shadow.CSM.TransitionScale=0
r.DistanceFieldShadowing=0
r.DistanceFieldAO=0
r.MotionBlurQuality=0
r.AmbientOcclusionMipLevelFactor=1.0
r.AmbientOcclusionMaxQuality=0
r.AmbientOcclusionLevels=0
r.AmbientOcclusionRadiusScale=1.2
r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
r.RenderTargetPoolMin=300
r.LensFlareQuality=0
r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
r.EyeAdaptationQuality=0
r.BloomQuality=4
r.FastBlurThreshold=0
r.Upscale.Quality=1
r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=0
r.LightShaftQuality=0
r.Filter.SizeScale=0.6
r.Tonemapper.Quality=0
r.Streaming.MipBias=1.5
r.MaxAnisotropy=0
r.Streaming.LimitPoolSizeToVRAM=1
r.Streaming.PoolSize=400
r.TranslucencyLightingVolumeDim=24
r.RefractionQuality=0
r.SSR.Quality=0
r.SceneColorFormat=3
r.DetailMode=0
r.TranslucencyVolumeBlur=0
r.MaterialQualityLevel=0 ; Low quality
r.SSS.Scale=0
r.SSS.SampleSet=0
r.SSS.Quality=0
r.SSS.HalfRes=1
r.EmitterSpawnRateScale=0.125
r.ParticleLightQuality=0
foliage.DensityScale=0
grass.DensityScale=0

« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 08:58:38 am by Talad »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 08:58:15 am »
A lot faster, yes (~30 fps). But also quite a bit worse. I bet we can find good compromises from there. A GeForce generation 8 can manage some higher quality, just without the most challenging shader features. Knowing the default values would be useful, though.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 09:01:28 am »
From the list above remove this line:
r.DefaultFeature.AntiAliasing=0

and see how it goes. It's the post-processor which smooths the edges.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 09:12:47 am »
Not that bad, still ~20 fps. I believe Bloom / MB have the biggest impact. I could also increase other options without slowing down the rendering much, as long as I keep Bloom and MB disabled.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 04:00:58 pm by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 09:38:08 am »
Any plans to let us Mac users try? I'm trying Crossover but for some reason I can't install the game.

Also, shame on me, but I have an ATI card with 256Mb, and 3GHz of processor... Will I be able to play or should I start preparing to leave the game? ;P

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

Dilihin

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • you can always find me on IRC: JeHugawa @freenode
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 09:46:42 am »
Mishka: Have you tried Wine?  :lol:

Also still no success, and i have both Ligh. Also now that i think of it, congrats for publishing your second game atomic blue  :P

Jawir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 10:22:28 am »
Hello there,
I have an Asus N550JK notebook with Windows 8.1 64 bit installed. In order to play the demo I had to install the Microsoft DirectX Runtime using the web setup (it is not working with the DirectX 11 that comes with Windows 8.1).
Anyway, this are the specs:
Intel HD4600 with 1792 MB of ram
Nvidia GTX850m with 4 GB of ram
Intel i7 4700HQ processor
16 GB of system memory
I tried either with the integrated and the dedicated GPU: I didn't notice much differences in frame rate switching between the two.
The lowest framerate with both is around 45 fps near the Iron Temple (toward the tent) facing the plaza. Most of the time I get 62 fps.
I noticed the grass is floating in the air in some spots at the left of the temple  :P