Author Topic: Blockchain based PlaneShift  (Read 3339 times)

Dark Energy

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
Re: Blockchain based PlaneShift
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2021, 10:32:39 am »
I just remembered posting about blockchain-based games.

Have you heard about NFTs? Games are taking off, and they're not even half what planeshift is.
It's a shame.
...Close your eyes, for the path of the heart goes through darkness...

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2021, 10:39:05 am »
Hello,

I still do not really understand what this is about.
Can you give some precise examples which parts of PlaneShift could profit from this approach?

Thank you,

Gonger

Uadjet

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2021, 03:53:57 pm »
I must admit, I don't understand this either. I've seen people suggest blockchain for Planeshift, but never any mention of how precisely it would help the game. There are no financial transactions, so how would blockchain even apply?

Migg

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2021, 03:00:19 pm »
Blockchain armor?  ;D

Damola

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2021, 03:12:09 pm »
I also have no idea how blockchain would benefit the game and what it could mean for PlaneShift.
Love,
Damola

Dark Energy

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2021, 11:39:04 am »
Greetings! since the last time I started this post, a lot has changed and a new wave of communities have arisen around the blockchain technology. Now we have NFTs which stand for Non-Fungible Tokens and are widely used and being accepted in more and more sectors, and more importantly to us, the game industry is embracing it to the degree that we now have multi-million dollar massively played games, setting a new standard for everything else to come, and are so economically independent that development seems instantaneous. Please search "NFT video games" and let me know what you think.

gonger

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2021, 07:46:21 am »
Greetings! since the last time I started this post, a lot has changed and a new wave of communities have arisen around the blockchain technology. Now we have NFTs which stand for Non-Fungible Tokens and are widely used and being accepted in more and more sectors, and more importantly to us, the game industry is embracing it to the degree that we now have multi-million dollar massively played games, setting a new standard for everything else to come, and are so economically independent that development seems instantaneous. Please search "NFT video games" and let me know what you think.

But you do understand that PlaneShift is not a game to make money with? When googling for "NFT video games", the first results seem to be all about money.
I would suggest you come to the next Dev meeting for a real discussion.

Dark Energy

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2021, 05:44:41 am »
Greetings fello Planeshifters,

Let's educate ourselves today (including me, but I've already started!):

What are they actually?
https://www.gameinformer.com/opinion/2021/03/17/what-are-nfts-and-what-is-their-impact-on-the-gaming-industry

Potentials
https://hackernoon.com/the-next-nft-craze-monetizing-mmos-for-gamers-wt2c339a

On the Philosophy of why:
https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/nfts-and-gaming%3A-a-match-made-in-heaven-2021-07-08

Answering Gonger, I would say, it's not necessarily "Play to Earn" but actually a self-sustained model of evolving into something everybody enjoyed playing, and at the same time evolving.
Who wouldn't love a game he owns a piece of? I would love to have a sword that nobody else has, and might consider selling it someday because it's only MINE.

I believe it's an application worth pondering and discussion, specially with the DEVS, and I have reasons to believe it's about time.

New trends are not always bad, unless proven.

Uadjet

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2021, 10:38:06 am »
This game isn't going to be monetized, though. It's free. Always has been, and always will be.

Getting in-game benefits (a sword that nobody else has, for example) by paying RL money simply does not fit within the concept of the game. You want a unique item? Come to an engraver event and pay 2 circles (ingame currency) to have an item renamed something unique. Ta-Daa!

There is no point in trying to introduce NFT's to a situation that is designed to not ever have an exchange of real currency.