Author Topic: Monster EXP  (Read 1358 times)

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
Monster EXP
« on: September 23, 2003, 10:14:23 am »
If u lose a fight against a monster, does the monster gain exp and get stronger? It think this would be really good, as it would make the monsters more challenging. I dunno how much programming this would take, but I don\'t think it would be 2 hard.

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 10:26:51 am »
No.

Why?

Cause you will then have people training up creatures just for the fun of seeing how long they might live...

Think of a creature that is in a semi newbie area...and it can make a challenge to a highlevel person. This would kill every newbie in the area until a GM resets it, or a high end group come and does a favor by killing it.
-Paxx

Xordan

• Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2003, 11:40:48 am »
I thought of that, but then I thought that if the fighting allows more than 1 person to attack a monster at the same time (I hope), then a group could easily take it down before it became 2 strong. I didn\'t mean for it to gain xp like a player, but to become gradually stronger slowly, so that the last person to kill it would get more xp. If u kept the amount they get stronger each win low, then I don\'t see much of a problem.

Xalthar

• Forum Addict
  • Tisfjæsing.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2003, 01:28:19 pm »
Hmm.. I think this was discussed a while back, and I got the impression that such would be in game, albeit not on all mobs.. So that special gm created mobs that roam the countryside waiting to attack a city would gain xp if they managed to defeat some of the players (foolish enough) to attack alone...

But I must have gotten the wrong impresion :P

paxx

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2003, 01:54:47 pm »
In the far off future there are plans that the NPC?s will be little different then the players, in said case they will go up in power as players do. But I don?t expect to see that happen anytime soon, in fact I think we will be in release before that happens in my opinion, other devs differ.
-Paxx

Xalthar

• Forum Addict
  • Tisfjæsing.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2003, 02:07:44 pm »
hmm, yes, well I didn\'t expect much :P that way I don\'t get disappointed..

But I think that the idea I mentioned, would be cool, if it is ever implemented..

Waylander

• Veteran
  • Constantly correct since 1988
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 04:30:32 pm »
I think it would be cool but not all monsters just the bosses(like the leader of the kran eating rabbits) and special monsters(like dragons guarding gold).
<Jeraphon>oh khado
<Jeraphon>you so khrazy

Xil|sleeps: I love cadoras

Waylander, A.K.A: Cadoras, Khado, Nurahk, Armeen, Nostra ... God.

Xalthar

• Forum Addict
  • Tisfjæsing.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2003, 09:38:08 am »
I don\'t think monsters should gain xp from killing players, because then there is a big chance it will become invicible!! and the gm\'s would have to reset it.. not a good idea IMO..

Xordan

• Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2003, 10:00:34 am »
Why should it become invincible? It would only win 1 or 2 fights, and then it would be killed. And the killer would get slightly more XP for it.

Nikech

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2003, 10:19:26 am »
I like the idea of special monsters like bosses and dragons gaining exp. I think they could also pick up items found on the ground and take them to their lair.

Loremaster in the Arcane Order

\"That was when I realized that the light I\'d seen at the end of the tunnel was actually the headlight of an onrushing locomotive. \" -George R. R. Martin

Xalthar

• Forum Addict
  • Tisfjæsing.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2003, 11:31:08 am »
Originally posted by Xordan
Why should it become invincible? It would only win 1 or 2 fights, and then it would be killed. And the killer would get slightly more XP for it.

And just who, if I might ask, says that it will ONLY win 1 or 2 fights?? Whats to stop it from winning 20 or 50?? and then becoming so powerful that the players in that area can\'t defeat it?? Bad idea...

I like the dragon\'s hoard idea Nikech ;)

Izzy*dot

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2003, 12:31:30 pm »
Originally posted by Xalthar
hmm, yes, well I didn\'t expect much :P that way I don\'t get disappointed..

Omygosh this sounds familiar did you ever read Wheel of Time books? :D

Ride the Maelström!!

Xordan

• Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2003, 12:32:57 pm »
ok then, lets assume this uber-monster wins 30 fights. Nobody in the area can take this thing on and win. Solution? 5 people team up and kick the hell outta it.

Nikech

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2003, 04:10:11 am »
Originally posted by Xalthar

And just who, if I might ask, says that it will ONLY win 1 or 2 fights?? Whats to stop it from winning 20 or 50?? and then becoming so powerful that the players in that area can\'t defeat it?? Bad idea...

I like the dragon\'s hoard idea Nikech ;)

Exp cap for non-special or boss monsters? If there was an ecp cap they wouldn\'t become too strong, of course special monsters wouldn\'t have a cap, and they could even kill neutral or good npcs for exp and treasures. These strong special monsters could then be an event kind of thingy for bigger parties of strong players.

Loremaster in the Arcane Order

\"That was when I realized that the light I\'d seen at the end of the tunnel was actually the headlight of an onrushing locomotive. \" -George R. R. Martin

Xalthar

• Forum Addict
  • Tisfjæsing.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2003, 09:42:14 am »
Originally posted by Nikech
These strong special monsters could then be an event kind of thingy for bigger parties of strong players.

ok then, lets assume this uber-monster wins 30 fights. Nobody in the area can take this thing on and win. Solution? 5 people team up and kick the hell outta it.

Well I\'ve played Anarchy a lot, and I have been in two events where the monsters that the gm\'s spawned were too powerful (not because they\'d gained it from killing PC\'s) and the humongous amount of players there (many of them lvl 200) couldn\'t defeat even one of those mobs (the mobs were lvl 220 should you care to know) and the Gm\'s had to reset the whole area to get rid of the mobs..

If a creature is able to gain unlimited Xp, in PS, there is still the posibility that it can become so poweful that not even a group of many could defeat it...

An xp lvl cap could do it as you said nikech, but I would say it has to apply for all mobs (special or not)