Author Topic: Simple government system  (Read 1566 times)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Simple government system
« on: January 06, 2002, 05:01:43 pm »
THIS MESSAGE IS TAKEN FROM OLD BOARD:

Thekkur
                            posted 21-10-2001 02:46 GMT        

MAybe an option for a government system is that hero\'s (players with a level higher than 25) could make himself eligible for a
                         function of major. Players inhabiting the city (by means of having a house there) could at their homes select the name of the hero
                         they want to rule the city. Each hero that runs for election could write a text in the public place and post personal messages in
                         which he explains why he would be a good major.

After a major has been chosen he will get a salary and will have some control of the city, by choosing from variable options.
                         (amount of city guards, hight of taxes etc.)

This system would be very basic but would add a simple hierarchy to cities.

Thekkur
    Catalyst88
                            posted 21-10-2001 10:07 GMT            

And then when there\'s a corrupt mayor you could lead a revolution against him ;)
    Thekkur
                            posted 21-10-2001 10:58 GMT            

ofcourse, but that\'s entirely up to the players.

Thekkur
    Gion
                            posted 21-10-2001 12:20 GMT            

And they could organise some big partys in the arena :-)
    Thekkur
                            posted 21-10-2001 16:08 GMT            

...hire hero players to battle eachother in teh arena, and thus win the crowd for you!

Thekkur
    TheDaiv
                            posted 22-10-2001 12:52 GMT            

I like your ideas Thekkur... straight out monster killing gives you Adventure, Your idea of Mayors adds a nice Political structure to
                         the game, the Prof give you an economic edge... add it all up, you have a Socio-economic Adventure game... we need to add a
                         marriage system I think. The you have the Romantic Socio-Economic Adventure game, and PlaneShift can post adds in
                         GamePro, Dragon, Chic, The WallStreet Journel, and Time... also if they make ir so you can decorate your house, Martha
                         Stewart Living!!!! What an all purpose game!

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2002, 05:05:58 pm »
LyssiahStormWhisperer
                            posted 31-10-2001 05:16 GMT        

One more wish before I go for the evening.

For societal positions, please make it so that a player can only hold one position at a time.

There is a certain rpg I play in which the society is outrageously corrupt, due to the same players holding multiple positions of
                         power in the community. They blatantly abuse their powers for their own benefit, and the GM\'s of that game, with their
                         disconnectedness to the community as it is, have no control anymore, other than for fixing bugs in game and the occassional
                         event.

I am not saying everyone should be looked over when a position comes up. But please make it so that the player cna only hold
                         one position at a given time. If another comes up that is more appealing to them,then they must abandon the old position for it,
                         not add it to a resume, and then complain when players come to them for a position\'s services and they don\'t have the time to
                         fulfill each position to the utmost attention that they should be giving it.

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2002, 09:21:44 pm »
Sim City w/ Swords :)

Seriously, though. I like this idea. Of course you\'ve gotta make sure taxes are high enough to pay the guards and such, but low enough to keep people happy (and thus yourself in office). As mayor you could even hire people to deal with local problems or whatever, ie that monster that\'s been bothering farmers. You\'d also have to keep guild leaders happy, I\'d think...

Psalms

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2002, 09:46:02 am »
good idea

Culsoron

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2002, 07:25:12 am »
we couldhold elections, the people could vote for their favorite. But what if a large group of gangster-like evil people come along and all vote for one evil leader, that would suck.

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2002, 12:14:29 pm »
That might be realistic. :P

Seriously,though, then it\'d be time for some rebellion action, which could prove really cool. :)

kyalin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2002, 11:39:35 pm »
Yea thats a good idea and all, but I can see a couple problems with it.  Say there is one really big guild, so each of them run for a position in each city, and each vote for eachother, and one guild controls everything, that wouldnt work too well.  Another thing.  If one person had a bunch of different accounts, and got each account into a different position. how would that be stopped?  Other than those its a good idea.  I like the part about being able to start a rebellion.  Heres one last idea. To stop it with one guild controlling everything, you could make it so a guild runs for the office, adn picks a canidate to run(sorta like the parties in the US), that way that person gets into power, but that guild cannot come into power anywhere else, and i think that would make everything just a little more intresting, say for example, a dwarven guild would own a mining city, but an elven guild would own a city that deals mostly with magic, just a thought.

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2002, 12:00:59 am »
Yeah, I suppose the oil guild controlling everything would be a little too realistic, huh? :P (sorry, but I had to...)

kyalin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2002, 12:11:48 am »
Well, actually im not even sure what u mean so oh well. I wasnt sure if there was gonna be multiple spots in each city or not.  I think a guild should control the whole city, and all positions in that city should be appointed by the person they choose to have run.  Or if there only one spot ten the guild should pick someone to run and support him, and help him with his job.

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2002, 12:52:31 am »
I\'m not sure that the person should have to belong to a guild, necessarily. Of course, a guild could take up promoting their candidate for office, but I don\'t think we should have a policy regarding it... Of course most of the time a candidate from a guild will win, but whatever.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2002, 12:53:10 am by David_HD »

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2002, 11:03:35 pm »
I think would be a fun and controversial (fun) idea to implement.  I\'ll think about how to control votes somewhat.

In the meantime, what powers should the mayor have?  What\'s the point?  Try to think about what would actually work...

Thanks and keep the ideas coming!

- Vengeance

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2002, 12:47:21 am »
Well, first, the mayor should definately be able to set the tax rate, and probably the number of guards in the city. Possibly possesses the ability to pardon, but I could see that getting out of hand. The mayor should also, probably, get a salary, becasue dealing with such things do take time from adventuring. I\'d like to give the office a little more power/interest than that, but I can\'t think of more off the top of my head. Anyone else have any ideas?

Idealist

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2002, 02:29:03 am »
I say go with the guild idea cause if we dont like it

\"we the people can kick the livin shit outta the government and elect some one thats smarter than those idoits\"

Ben Q Franklin
I will Hunt you... I will find you... I will ctrl alt Delete you... Bounty Hunter Goodness

WarLeader

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2002, 02:46:17 am »
This is a great idea but the mayor thing shouldnt be called mayor kinda korny i was thinking if you are chosen to be \"mayor\" you could form a army of players your best maybe the best 8... you can ally or war other towns or guilds or have the commander do that or something have it like real medieval days when excalibur was born when the formed knights to fight and they sent knights to fight for there allied friends... i could imagin how honorable it would be to fight in a war like that by being chosen

Models dont make the game textures do!

Meldryn

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2002, 05:25:38 pm »
How about an oligarchic council composed of the top member, chosen by election, of the most populated guilds. Of course that would lead to politics out the wazu, but hey, isnt that realistic. Also, what about outside governments, what is the condition of the suroundings of the town? how would that figure into the government scheme? wars? trade? perhaps as adventurers push the paths further, they could discover other cities and establish contact.