Author Topic: Favorite Music  (Read 73592 times)

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Music
« Reply #360 on: October 30, 2006, 12:09:05 am »
The topic I was discussing was  the qualitative differences between commercial albums and commercial CD's.

No.  Your statements made it quite clear that you were discussing the merits of CD versus vinyl in general.

The point about internal variation in classical music was not differences between compositions but differences within compositions some ranging from pianissimo up through fortissimo. Have briefly perused the wikipedia entries relating to metal it seems they have one thing in common which is the louder the better although this may be a poor description of the underlying theme. Certainly I would not expect any such extremely quiet sections in such music as is found in Emerson Lake & Palmer's "Just Take a Pebble" song. A genre characterized by extreme volume would not seem to be a candidate for normalization as there are few quiet parts that need boosting.

Don't go to wikipedia to learn about metal.  Find someone who understands the genre and have them educate you using musical examples.  Loud music can be listened to at a low volume, quiet music can be listened to at a high volume, and even loud songs will suffer from the over-use of compression.  For instance, with every bass drum hit, the rest of the tracks may disappear as they are made quieter to allow for the bass frequencies to be squeezed into the waveform.  The best way to prove it would be to run a metal track through compression and then use your ears to hear the difference.

Differences in the target media.

Amounting to...? ???  You didn't answer my question.

Nice term but it was not an attack, it was a statement of definition which was finished in the next section.

It was an ad hominem because you were attacking me as a person instead of what I was saying.  I think you're smart enough to understand that.

This qualifies you to speak to commercial music production?  Tell me what label you are signed with, one recording I can go down to the local music chain and buy that you mastered and I'll concede that you are an "Expert" though I won't really believe it.
Do you have access to the million dollar equipment on a day to day basis that a professional studio engineer pumping out album after album has? I don't think so.

What million dollar equipment are you thinking of specifically?  Premium analog equipment can run for that much.  That's why digital is so popular:  Because digital recording studios can achieve superior quality to analog at a fraction of the cost.  That said, a lot of people like analog equipment because of the vibe, and there is good stuff out there.  Some of the things that make analog recordings "bad" are actually liked by a lot of people, so there's another argument in favour of analog.

Now, back to your statement:  I never said I was an expert.  You're building strawmen.  You're also using ad hominem attacks again:  You're attacking me as a person instead of what I'm actually saying.  Why not address what I'm actually saying instead of trying to start a flame war?

It is self-evident.

No.  It's not self evident.  You said:

Quote from: bilbous
It just seemed to me that you would not have to take extra measures when producing a CD as opposed to a record if there were no differences in the capabilities of the medium.

What "extra measures" are you refering to?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 12:12:57 am by zanzibar »
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

bilbous

« Reply #361 on: October 30, 2006, 12:17:19 am »
futile argument moved to new thread due to popular request ( at least I liked it )

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 30, 2006, 01:31:12 am »
* zanzibar doesn't see the new thread.

Bilbous, take a look at this:  http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d46/_zanz/agoraphobicnosebleed-pentagramconst.jpg

This a song called "Pentagram Constellation" by a band called "Agoraphobic Nosebleed".  It's a typical specimen of loud, brutal, grinding death metal.  It also has a far greater dynamic range than the Donnas song, which is merely pop rock.

I'm telling ya.  A lot of these things simply come down to production.
Immaturity is FTW.

Drey

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 30, 2006, 08:47:58 pm »
This week, i have been mostly listening to Thursday, and Placebo - Bionic.
<Rux> i wish i could say that narrows it down, but the internet is one freaky place

Baldur

• Veteran
  • Disillusioning since 1989
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #364 on: October 30, 2006, 08:54:22 pm »
System of a Down- Pogo Stick \o/

Kalika

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 30, 2006, 11:25:00 pm »
pogo pogo pogo pogo pogo etc..
psycho groupie cocaine crazy

yeah i like that song :P

me=deftones-hole in teh earth

good song ;)

'she lies with her arms flung out as if to embrace the whole hyancinth-scented, watermelon-colored world.'

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 31, 2006, 12:18:23 am »
I'm really liking the song "You Fail Me" by converge right now.  The rest of the album isn't great, but that one track is pretty heavy.
Immaturity is FTW.

Baldur

• Veteran
  • Disillusioning since 1989
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant
« Reply #367 on: October 31, 2006, 06:55:43 am »
The same with Dragonforce. I think the only song they've truly succeeded with is "Through fire amd flames". Fire and flemsch as I so elequently expreseed it in the IRC ;]

Radiant Memphis

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Kapowie
    • View Profile
    • Me music
« Reply #368 on: October 31, 2006, 06:21:26 pm »
Beatallica!-http://www.beatallica.org/beatallica.html
Beatles songs played in the Matallica style. Funny stuff, and I like.
::edit::
Moonspell-an older band I used to listen to and is apparently still around and pop'n out albums. Still nice sounds coming from them.http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=21620219
« Last Edit: November 05, 2006, 12:02:34 am by Radiant Memphis »

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 03, 2006, 09:44:19 pm by zanzibar »
Immaturity is FTW.

lordraleigh

« Reply #370 on: December 04, 2006, 01:03:23 am »
Note: My main favorite musics are those that have message and content, not styles(Follow the Reaper being the exception)... not a big fan of music and listens only a few times per month.

Some punk rock and death metal

International:

Children of Bodom : Follow the Reaper (Death Metal)

National(Brazil): Garotos Podres(Rotten boys), Ratos de Porao(Bilge rats), Mukeka di Rato(Rats Soup or something like that). I like Several musics of these - all are punk rock.

Classics...

International:

A Las Barricadas! (The original 1930's version, my favourite music)

National: Calice (Chalice, from Chico Buarque and Milton Nascimento), Pra nao dizer que nao falei de flores (So can't say I didn't talk about flowers, from Geraldo Vandre, my second favorite)

P.S. : I am not a punk writing big A's with graffiti on walls... just a very hardcore liberal on realistic world view and democrat(on the sense of direct democracy) on the idealistic world view.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 04:03:16 pm by lordraleigh »

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 04, 2006, 11:49:50 am »
A Las Barricadas! (The original 1930's version, my favorite music... but this video rocks.)

I loved the start of the video. Nice and melodic. Shame it degraded to what seemed like shouting. :P

But musical tastes aside it seems like a well put together video.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Shangreloo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 04, 2006, 12:11:42 pm »
In no particular order:

Pink Floyd
Audioslave
Dead Can Dance
Mozart
System of a Down
There are three kinds of people in this world.
Those who understand numbers and those who don't.

Kalika

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 04, 2006, 05:06:07 pm »
atmosphere
sublime
damien marley....

blah

'she lies with her arms flung out as if to embrace the whole hyancinth-scented, watermelon-colored world.'

Raiyx

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 04, 2006, 09:18:48 pm »
Ahh, music.  What a cruel, cruel mistress.

How I love it so.

As for what I enjoy listening to:
Pretty much everything except for country. I do enjoy railroad blues, and Jonny Cash-esque material, but I'm not sure if you can classify that as "country".

What I listen to most of the time:
-Rock, Electronica, and New Wave, all defined rather loosely.

I enjoy hardcore a lot, especially the sound of Refused.  Unfortunately, there are few that can even compare to the musical prowess of Refused, but some other hardcore bands I like are From Ashes Rise, Glassjaw, Minor Threat(old school punk for sure), and to a lesser extent, Every Time I Die.

Electronica is simply amazing.  Some people argue that it's too repetitive and takes no skill to create, since it's all loops.  Nuts to that.  Every kind of music is repititve, some more than electronica.  As for skill, some critically acclaimed "rock bands" only use I, IV, V chord progressions in dropped D tuning; a sleep-deprived ape could come up with something more creative than that.  Electronica just makes me want to move, I love it.  Daft Punk forever owns my heart.

And New Wave:  You hate it, or you love it.  I can't live without it.  Flock of Seagulls, Soft Cell, Duran Duran, Tomas Dobly, Frankie Goes to Hollywood... OMG.  Big hair=Big Sound.  I also dig bands who implement new wave styles in their sound.  Especially bands like VHS or Beta, and to a slight degree, Metric (feel free to disagree with me on this one, I even think it's a stretch :-X).

All the old stuff is good too, Zep, Hendrix, Purple, blah blah blah...

How could I forget!  PRINCE.  Yessssss.  Prince.

I also enduldge in guilty pleasures far too often, such as Toxic, Sexy Back, and such.

Must names (just for the sake of the thread):
-Tsunami Bomb
-Violent Femmes
-Moving Pictures
-Melanie Pain (One of the singers from Nouvelle Vauge.  Amazing voice!)
-Bullet Train to Vegas
-Clayton Hamilton Jazz Orchestra
-Eartha Kitt (especially during the french-jazz era)
-Queens of the Stone Age
-The Living End (their cover of Tainted Love is AMAZING!!!)

There's a lot more I could talk about, but.... there's homework to be done.

Bloop.

::Edit::
Totally forgot about Hip-Hop!!
I love the old school, especially Beastie Boys, A Tribe Called Quest, and Run DMC.  Some of the more modern stuff is cool too, like MF Doom, Del, and Jay-Z.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 10:00:44 pm by Raiyx »
Music.  And then some.