Author Topic: Favorite Music  (Read 73593 times)

Xus

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Gravity cat is not amused...
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Music
« Reply #525 on: February 19, 2007, 04:10:49 pm »
That isn't Dave Grohl in the video, is't???  Noooo it can't be.  I know he was in the band for a while, but I don't think him leaving could honestly ruin their sound at all... I guess now that you make me think about it, the drums in Lullabies to Paralyze were a bit more simplistic than in Songs for the Dead, but it's still kick-ass music.

Dave Grohl isn't all that and a bag of potato chips... I mean I like the good things he did for Queens of the Stone Age and Nirvana, and especially for the Foo Fighters, but there's just something about his overall appearance that crawls under my skin, hatches tiny little eggs with goatees, dies, gets washed up through my circulatory system and makes my heart sick with annoyance.

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
« Reply #526 on: February 19, 2007, 05:28:26 pm »
Dave Grohl has been extremely influential... but he isn't that great of a drummer.  He's heavy and he's tight, but honestly...

I thought you were against showmanship...?

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 19, 2007, 05:37:43 pm »
Dave Grohl has been extremely influential... but he isn't that great of a drummer.  He's heavy and he's tight, but honestly...

What's your point?
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

emeraldfool

• Veteran
  • Irish (adj.): Cynical; morally bankrupt
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio (or at least what I've bothered to upload...)
« Reply #528 on: February 19, 2007, 05:41:41 pm »

What's your point?

Dave Grohl is the ultimate showman drummer. He's trashed so many of his kits during gigs it's amazing...

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 19, 2007, 08:25:32 pm »

What's your point?

Dave Grohl is the ultimate showman drummer. He's trashed so many of his kits during gigs it's amazing...

If it wasn't for Nirvana, we wouldn't have the Who.

And no, Dave Grohl's influence hasn't been the fact that he trashed drumkits - he's influencial because of the style he brought to mainstream audiences, just like the rest of the band.
Immaturity is FTW.

bilbous

« Reply #530 on: February 20, 2007, 12:22:04 am »
Now who is analyzing too much? Enjoy some Roxy Music and some more
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 12:31:52 am by bilbous »

Croconil

• Hydlaa Notable
  • <3 Peacer!
    • View Profile
    • Talk Box
« Reply #531 on: February 20, 2007, 05:04:29 am »
If it wasn't for Nirvana, we wouldn't have the Who.

Did anyone watch that programme on bbc2 about Kurt Cobain?

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 20, 2007, 08:34:50 am »
Current playlist on repeat:

Keane - A Bad Dream
Incubus - Dig
Passing Stranger - Dream Song
Kristin Hersh - In Shock
Idlewild - No Emotion
Plus Minus - Steal The Blueprints
Bromheads Jackets - Trip To The Golden Arches
The Slip - Children of December
Klaxons - Golden Skans
Jet - Rip It Up

The Idlewild song in particular is awesome.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 08:40:44 am by Karyuu »
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 20, 2007, 08:56:18 am »
I'm not familiar with most of those except Incubus and Keane. Keane, in my opinion, are quite crap and it's only Incubus' older stuff that I know. I'll check out the new album one of these days.
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Croconil

• Hydlaa Notable
  • <3 Peacer!
    • View Profile
    • Talk Box
« Reply #534 on: February 20, 2007, 10:48:25 am »
I'm not familiar with most of those except Incubus and Keane. Keane, in my opinion, are quite crap...

Parallo, my opinion of you has risen :) They are one of my friends favorite bands and its like...no.

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 20, 2007, 11:15:20 am »
Yo mean you didn't already worship me?
I suggest the statue of Laanx gets turned into a statue of Parallo <3. An NPC could never replace the huge hole he left in my heart when he died  :'(

Parallo

• Forum Addict
  • Ꞇíꞃ Luıᵹ̇ꝺeaċ
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 20, 2007, 01:42:54 pm »
Heh, true, very true. It's a rare feat for most though.

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 20, 2007, 01:49:13 pm »
Klaxons - Golden Skans

I tried listening to this band a few days ago and they broke my ears.  Incubus, on the other hand, is a very good band (I say this completely ignoring Crow)

Explosions In The Sky is also a very good band from around my area, no vocals but they really don't need them.  Not sure if they're popular or not, but they are around here...anyways, good to listen to when you're working on an essay and their live show is something to watch.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2007, 01:51:17 pm by Kiern »

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 20, 2007, 03:33:44 pm »
I'm not familiar with most of those groups myself - I've a very large folder of various artists that I've just begun to look through. Either way, a horrible band can sometimes come up with a wonderful song :]

I think that's almost the rule, or at least it seems that way... I've heard a lot of bad albums by a lot of bad bands, and I have trouble parting with the albums because there's usually one song which is tolerable or even good.  It seems that most writers have a moment of brilliance.  Sometimes it's their career, sometimes it's their first album, and sometimes it's just one song.
Immaturity is FTW.

Xus

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Gravity cat is not amused...
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 20, 2007, 04:06:55 pm »
Incubus - Dig

Incubus has some crazy good stuff, man.  8)  Sort of like listening to the White Stripes, though, it's a bit of a gamble; either the song is excellent, or it's terrible (well Incubus' alternative to excellent isn't so much terrible as it is boring enough to seriously make you contemplate taking an electric drill to your right temple just to spice things up a tad :woot: ).

And the only song I've ever heard by Keane was really good: Somewhere Only We Know.  :)