Author Topic: Favorite Music  (Read 73600 times)

Earl_Listbard

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Music
« Reply #705 on: May 04, 2007, 04:45:01 pm »
Never heard of them, lucky me eh?

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: May 04, 2007, 09:10:35 pm »
Who's MCR? ???
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Earl_Listbard

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: May 04, 2007, 09:27:39 pm »
My chemical romance,

youtube it.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: May 04, 2007, 11:17:05 pm »
My chemical romance,

youtube it.

Oh.  I know them.  They suck, but they aren't emo.

This isn't emo either, but it's better than my chemical romance:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNY91ustBSc
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 12:22:00 am by zanzibar »
Immaturity is FTW.

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: May 05, 2007, 03:47:57 am »
MCR arent emo???  ::| Thats it all your opinions are void from here on  :P. Your link, Architecture In Helsinki - Heart It Races, was ok though.
Hide where they expect you to... Its what they least expect.

Illyria

• Hydlaa Resident
  • ...Or here?
    • View Profile
    • Socii Acerbus Socii guildhouse
« Reply #710 on: May 05, 2007, 10:50:22 am »
I still prefer:
<-- clickable ^^

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: May 05, 2007, 11:35:13 am »
MCR arent emo???  ::| Thats it all your opinions are void from here on  :P. Your link, Architecture In Helsinki - Heart It Races, was ok though.

If you don't know each and every single one of these bands, you can politely keep your opinions about emo to yourself:

rites of spring
husker du
jawbreaker
indian summer
mohinder
heroin
lincon
hoover
policy of three
embrace (no, the OTHER one)
fugazi

And no, I'm not seeing these bands are all emo.
Immaturity is FTW.

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: May 05, 2007, 11:51:45 am »
Everybody whines about the word "emo".  Get over it.  Very obviously there is "old emo" (ex: Jawbreaker) and "new emo" (ex: My Chemical Romance, every other horrible band my old roommate listened to).

Don't like the word?  Fine.  But popular use dictates the meaning of words, not you. (this is not aimed directly at you, zanzibar, I just hear that stupid argument way too much)

On Topic:

Shot Baker
New Mexican Disaster Squad
Dinosaur Jr.
The Vacancies
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 11:53:50 am by Kiern »

Illyria

• Hydlaa Resident
  • ...Or here?
    • View Profile
    • Socii Acerbus Socii guildhouse
« Reply #713 on: May 05, 2007, 11:59:13 am »
Amon Amarth  :o just  :o
And for some reason they make me think of Children of Bodom especially the song "Asator"
 :) Which is a good thing  :D

bilbous

« Reply #714 on: May 05, 2007, 01:28:16 pm »
So emo is some sort of Punk offspring? Who would have guessed.

Time for a deep cleansing breath and a meditation led by Mark, Don and Mel: Grand Funk Railroad -- Closer to Home 9+ min, no video, studio version. Same song live performance video, 5 min -- check out the early 70's Fabulous Furry Freaks in the audience!

Ahh that takes me back  :)

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: May 05, 2007, 02:26:46 pm »
Everybody whines about the word "emo".  Get over it.  Very obviously there is "old emo" (ex: Jawbreaker) and "new emo" (ex: My Chemical Romance, every other horrible band my old roommate listened to).

Don't like the word?  Fine.  But popular use dictates the meaning of words, not you. (this is not aimed directly at you, zanzibar, I just hear that stupid argument way too much)

On Topic:

Shot Baker
New Mexican Disaster Squad
Dinosaur Jr.
The Vacancies

[indie kid snob mode turned on]
Jawbreaker is modern compared to most of the other ones I listed, and I wouldn't call them emo.  I'd call them punk, or melodic punk or pop punk, before calling them emo.  The thing is that they were heavily influenced by Husker Du who were definately an emo band.  Further, Further Seems Forever was definately influenced by Jawbreaker and they led to Dashboard Confessional which is considered an emo band (pop rock IMO).  Also, Jawbreaker was a big influence to the wave of bands that included mineral, alkaline trio, yellowcard, rufio, midtown, and many others - and those bands are usually called emo or punk emo.  Rites of Spring and Husker Du were connected to the same scene and Rites of Spring led to Fugazi which led to countless other bands and all of them get called emo.  [indie kid snob mode turned off] But barely any of them sound like one another!

So emo is some sort of Punk offspring?
Yes and no.  In the 80's and early 90's, "emo" was used to refer to a particular offshoot of hardcore.  At some point in the 90's, reviewers and kids trying to be hip started using it in order to appear like they were in the know.  So now it's used to describe everything from alexis on fire to bright eyes to weezer to jawbreaker to penfold to built to spill.
Immaturity is FTW.

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: May 05, 2007, 11:27:32 pm »
zanzibar, I agree with you...but my point was that it doesn't really matter what's "correct" and what isn't.  I was just giving the popular opinion of the word...which is why I put that last satement ("popular use"...)

Anyways, you should try out New Mexican Disaster Squad, they're very reminiscent of bands such as Minor Threat (one of the few new bands I would say that of), which you've said you liked if I remember correctly.

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: May 05, 2007, 11:35:50 pm »
There are many hundreds of bands out there right now that sound like minor threat.
Immaturity is FTW.

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: May 05, 2007, 11:44:25 pm »
There are many hundreds of bands out there right now that sound like minor threat.

Not good ones.  I think that number is down to about five.  But hell, if you know hundreds of good ones let me know...I'd like to hear them.

It was a suggestion, man.  If you're not interested, I don't care.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 11:51:17 pm by Kiern »

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: May 06, 2007, 12:39:18 am »
Not good ones.

Ah, that's different.:)
Immaturity is FTW.