Author Topic: College Drop out  (Read 1232 times)

cmhitman

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
College Drop out
« on: December 17, 2003, 06:14:12 pm »
I\'m not even in college yet and i feel i\'ll prolly dropout.
I dont have any drive, i hate hard work and if all I had to do was just think stuff and it\'d happen, then i\'d prolly stop thinking. I\'m gonna be a year late going because i failed chemisty twice, algebra 2 twice and spanish2 twice, this\'ll be my third time takin them. Now is there any advice that someone who can relate can give to make doing this crap easier till I get to  the things that excite me...Money, girls, art, literature, videogames and tv (in that order)

PROUD [SOLE]    HITMAN CLAN WILL RISE AGAIN!      

Kixie

• Veteran
  • I chase the moon, liquour, cars and women.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 06:33:36 pm »
i have to say hang in there bud! finish high school. I know too many people who havnt and regret it every time they flip a burger or sell coke. If you cant pass be responsible and get a tutor. your life will get alot better if you get through high school. I dont mean to be a mother but it really is the straight truth! Dont quit on something so important just finish it like a shot of whiskey, it sucks when ur doing it but after words it the F\'in s***! Lol  :P

Grakrim

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 01:42:48 pm »
It depends on what you want to do in life, cmhitman.  If your satisfied with manual labor or whatever other job you might get for minimum wage, then by all means dropout; its your life, after all.

However, a college degree is one of the most important things a person can get, or at least in relation to their career; and it only rarely needs to be in a specific field.  As my father has always said, it doesn\'t matter in what you get a degree in, most companies just see a degree as a measure that an employee can learn, can adapt.   For instance, my brother got a degree in psychology; and do you know what he\'s doing now?  He\'s in IT, perhaps one of the farthest removed fields from psychology.

The most important thing is to do what you enjoy.  Remember, you\'ll be working for the next 40 years of your life, so its best to find something that you\'ll like; as opposed to hating your occupation.  No one wants to work, but its a nesscary evil, so you might as well make it count.
\" I think you should just follow Grakrim\'s advice ;)\"

\"A universe is enough for more than one opinion.\" - Maxximus

Davis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2003, 02:52:20 pm »
I also hate hard work, and to get used to it, I\'ve been obsessive about random things, and it\'s working.

kbilik

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2003, 03:41:13 pm »
Ok, I\'m a Pharmacy/Pharmacology major (used to be Pre-Med) and I can tell you that college is much harder than high school ever was.

After the first year, you learn to adapt to all that hard work. But trust me, once you do, you\'ll have the best time in your life.

What\'s your major gonna be?

Boldstorm

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003, 01:56:29 pm »
Do whatever it takes to get into to college and stay there. My own dumbass didn\'t apply myself in college and got kicked out after the first year. Not only did I end up working jobs I hated just to pay the bills for most of my life, I also missed out on a lot of great things in college. The one year I spent there was one of the most enjoyable years of my life. Yeah the hard work sucked when (the first semester I actually tried) but all of the friendships and oppurtunities I missed is what I regret the most. If you are happy flipping burgers (it was pizzas in my case) or doing manual labor then great, but my suggestion is to do whatever you can to get into college and get a degree.

Rageburst

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2003, 03:45:51 pm »
At the moment, I actually have a final exam coming up in around two hours, but I might as well post since I am also lazy like you.

Lemme give you what has worked for me. There is no secret to working hard. You just do your best, and ignore the competition, ignore what anyone says. If you fail, just try harder.

It also helps when you have study groups since you\'re not obligated to study for yourself only, but also to help your group. A lot of times, I didn\'t really care about myself studying, but when it involves other people, I do my best.

The worst enemy for you right now is laziness. The reason why people get lazy is because they want to escape the present situation (you might not get A+, you might fail, you need to study 24 hours straight,....). The key is to fight this in any way you can. Motivate yourself, think of long-term consequences, do whatever it takes to get yourself out of your slump.

At 21 years old now, I\'m always improving, and accepting the fact that my career requires a lifetime devotion to constant studying. What makes it ok is that life in general is not about your wants. You gotta work at it in order for it to be worth anything.

Edit: One thing that might help relieve the situation is that you know that you\'ll eventually have some free time to do what you want (dancing, parties, games,...). My motto is \"Work Hard Play Hard.\"
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 03:49:45 pm by Rageburst »

Drilixer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2003, 11:44:19 am »
Originally posted by Davis
I also hate hard work, and to get used to it, I\'ve been obsessive about random things, and it\'s working.

I\'m going to college next year and sometimes I feel the same way you do... I have noticed that I become obsessive with things that I like... hence powergaming virtually everything that I play etc. etc.  So, I\'ve found that I do best when I force myself away from \'random things\'.  What you have to do is figure out what is getting in the way of your studies and kick em in the ass.  This past month I disconnected the ethernet to my room so that I could study better.  I admit that I reconnected it several times and that there were many times when I couldn\'t figure out what to do because I didn\'t want to study... but at least I wasn\'t getting brainzapped from Diablo 2 or something...

druke

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2003, 12:11:43 pm »
..wow motivational..really,

now i need to finish sophmore year.

of high school  :D

my how times have changed.....

Davis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2003, 12:32:52 pm »
Originally posted by Drilixer
Originally posted by Davis

I\'m going to college next year and sometimes I feel the same way you do... I have noticed that I become obsessive with things that I like... hence powergaming virtually everything that I play etc. etc.  So, I\'ve found that I do best when I force myself away from \'random things\'.  What you have to do is figure out what is getting in the way of your studies and kick em in the ass.  This past month I disconnected the ethernet to my room so that I could study better.  I admit that I reconnected it several times and that there were many times when I couldn\'t figure out what to do because I didn\'t want to study... but at least I wasn\'t getting brainzapped from Diablo 2 or something...

No, the best thing is to find what you should be doing and start working hard on it. Maybe I phrased what I said wrong. Yeah, definately.
And yes, I often disconnect the I-net card in my room, shaves a lot off the time it takes to do my hw.

chrischoo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2003, 02:49:21 pm »
I think that what you\'d need is more of a positive attitude than anything else. But this attitude isn\'t something that just comes and hits you in the head. Part of it comes from life experiences and how you\'ve grown and learnt from them.

From where I come from we have 2.5 years of compulsory military service. This period is usually an all-time low in life - there are absolutely no academic persuits and you certainly feel yourself getting a lot dumber.

For a number of people, at least for myself, things take on a different dimension when we get out. I\'m a freshman at a local university now, and although I still hate studying, the experience feels a lot more different as compared to the ladies who are just attending another year of school.

I hope that I speak for some of the people who have replied who have said that it really depends on whether you want to end up flipping burgers. I am quite certain that you won\'t want to get to that stage before you realize that you could have done better, especially when you were presented with the opportunity to do so.

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2003, 01:36:22 am »
People in college complain about their workloads because it is the fashion to do that.  The fact is that you will NEVER have more free time in your life than when you are in college.  You will NEVER have less supervision and less expectations of you in your life than when you are in college.  And you will NEVER be around more single and available women in your life than when you are in college.

Most people\'s happiest memories, stupidest stunts and closest friends are made in college.  Don\'t miss out.

- Vengeance

dfryer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2003, 03:03:39 am »
Yeah, I think people (like me) experience what they think is \"stress\" in college due to the freedom - we let the workload sneak up to us, since there isn\'t really any supervision.

That said, the amount of time that schoolwork takes really depends on a) the person and b) the course.  My g/f is doing a math major, and this semester she spent almost *all* of her time studying number theory and geometry.  I, on the other hand, usually have time to kill...

University/College is lots of fun.  Where else can you schedule your life so that you have nothing to do before 10:30, every day?  ( <---- note, it\'s that attitude that can get you into some stressful situations :) )
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Auran

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Quite pants really...
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2003, 10:34:04 am »
Either Venge is a loon or I go to the wrong college!

But seriously:
Consider if you have a responsibility to people (your parents, the girl you love, etc.) to do well in life. If you do then your life is not completely yours to dispose at your whim. It belongs these people too and they have an equal say in what you should do with it. And when you think about it, its only correct for them to be able to express ambitions for your life after they dedicated their existences to you. In no way can you repay the debts that you owe to your mother and father for bringing you into this world and caring for you more than they cared for their own well being. So whatever you want is okay but if not for anything else then for the gratitude you owe to your parents you must work so that they can be happy. They have every right to demand happiness from you.

ask yourself this:

Can you bear to see your loved ones sad? What is more precious in this world than a mother\'s smile? Is your hard work too great a price to pay for it?

If not, then work my friend. Work through the pain for it will not last and the happiness at the end of it will far surpass any of your expectations.

However that is only one way of looking at it. There are other pros of working hard besides the fact that you will make your loved ones happy.

Auran. No More.
Forget you ever knew me kid.

Rageburst

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2003, 01:45:46 am »
Originally posted by Vengeance
People in college complain about their workloads because it is the fashion to do that.  The fact is that you will NEVER have more free time in your life than when you are in college.  You will NEVER have less supervision and less expectations of you in your life than when you are in college.  And you will NEVER be around more single and available women in your life than when you are in college.

Most people\'s happiest memories, stupidest stunts and closest friends are made in college.  Don\'t miss out.

- Vengeance

In my software engineering field, a lot of us end up working from 8 am to 11 pm (or later) for weeks, and often going to the labs during weekends because it is required. Some of the programming projects are ludicrously long to do even if you\'re a fast GVIM macro-using coder. Some of the teachers are also ludicrously insane even if they don\'t know anything about what they teach.

I guess it depends what field or school everyone is taking... but one thing I\'ve noticed is that University demands a little more than in the past.