Author Topic: Name filters  (Read 1224 times)

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Name filters
« on: January 06, 2002, 05:18:05 pm »
THIS MESSAGE IS TAKEN FROM OLD BOARD:

Kendaro
                            posted 10-11-2001 21:02 GMT        

please if at all possible there needs to be a name filter on char creation. this would keep from the crazy names found in
                         runescape. im sure many on this board know what im talking about. names like \"1m c00l\" and other names done with numbers
                         in place of letters.

also there is the problem of too many cappital letters, like I R GOOD. i think full names should be allowed as in a first and last
                         name. the first letter in both should be the only letters cappitalized.

in the case of some one wanting to role play a char with a scottish type name like for example McGregor or the like. these would
                         be special cases that would have to be aprooved and cant be done at char creation. to get a special name it would have to be
                         granted by the game programers.

also names that say phrases has to be filtered as well. like Moonwhisper wouldnt be so bad but allowing those would also make
                         room for names like Vivagordita, Imdathief, Ikilljoo, and so on and so on. names should fit the realm and not be something out of
                         character so to speak.

so i am hoping that in the char creation there will be a name filter set up to stop most of them.

i know nothing is perfect and some may slip through the filter but those can be handled by a person in charge of enforcing rules.
                         just every week or so, he check the char names that have been loged in and then report any to the dev for investigation. once a
                         name has been targeted the devs all vote on weather the name is and can be considered a role play name or not and deside
                         weather or not to have that player change the name.

i know many players wolnt like this idea but its one that has its place. sure some names are all fine in good for example an
                         elementalist with the last name Whirlwind cause it would suit the characters mastering of the wind element. but having say a
                         wizard type with the last name of Bahdaboom isnt as suiting. also ive seen in other games a thief named \"Snatch Alljorgold\". a
                         name like that isnt trying to fit in the game but trying to make a phrase. sure thats an element of fun but it also is unsuiting to the
                         game\'s surroundings.
    Oldman Kay
                            posted 10-11-2001 21:14 GMT            

I agree 100%.

But still mainly filter numbers. And do the capitalized thing. Also if there is a way where you could make it some
                         roman-numberals are ok. Like George II, because if R.I.\'s were just first letter capatalized then it would be George Ii and thats
                         stupid.

But mainly filter numbers and keep the first letter capatalized.
    Kendaro
                            posted 10-11-2001 22:12 GMT            

thats covered.... if some one wishes to be say Jusiah VI then that would have to be something he/she would have to ask the devs
                         for and they would then vote on it. all votes would have to include the person with the name in question. not them personaly but
                         at least a statement explaining why they want that name and how it is used in their RP. something like that. oh and one major
                         thing i left out... the devs have to follow the rules as well. too many times ive seen a GM pop in and change some one\'s name
                         saying it said a phrase or something of the sort and the GM\'s own name was in vialation of the naming pollicy.
    Oldman Kay
                            posted 10-11-2001 22:32 GMT            

Asking them would be a problem though. I am thinking of about maybe 1,000 players being here at first. There could be a LOT of
                         people asking them questions.
    whitti
                            posted 10-11-2001 22:38 GMT            

Kendaro, I think that is a *ahem* little too personalised. If your gonna have 1000 players on at once then you cant have
                         developers conferences about each one.

PS: We have a nice Staff *grins evilly* MWAHAHAHAHAHA
    Catalyst88
                            posted 10-11-2001 22:58 GMT            

Have a log of all the different names that might cause a problem, then look over them every so often and give any players who
                         aren\'t playing in the spirit of the game a warning to ask for a name change... if they\'ve already been warned lock their character
                         from playing :)
    Kendaro
                            posted 10-11-2001 23:10 GMT            

out of 1000 players only a slight few would probly go for a name that couldnt be allowed do to the filter. i mean realy how many
                         out of 1000 will want a roman numeral? i wasnt even saying that that would or could be allowed. thats up to the devs. the thing
                         about asking wouldnt be so personal. it would be sent to a log and that log is gone through at set times when able. after all the
                         special names would be a perk to have not a need. so if it took a while to get around to it, so be it. that woul be the smallest
                         part. the name filter itself would be just a program. kinda like a profanity filter thats on a MSG board. just set it up, give it a few
                         phases to not allow, a few choice words, and so on. when some one tries to put in a name that breaks the rules, the program
                         just scraps it and asks you to make another.

also for the name \"police\" im sure with all the support people want to put in this game some one could or would donate their time
                         to do it. after all it wouldnt be any real power. they would just be on the look out for bad names and report them to the higher ups
                         to make a final call. also this person would take the time and look through the requests and put the most valid, under the rules
                         set by the higher ups, requests for name change forward for seconding.

it realy wouldnt take that much as one would think......
    Oldman Kay
                            posted 10-11-2001 23:22 GMT            

Two things:

1) Kendaro wrote:

\"the thing about asking wouldnt be so personal. it would be sent to a log and that log is gone through at set times when able.\"

I did not know it would be sent to a log. Ok its all cuel now.

2) The police. They would be like a race only available to people that help the game. They could all wear like some purple suit
                         and wonder the towns. Then scammers or whatever could be reported easily because you could just run up to them and report
                         the action.

Cons: Lots of people might be talking to him/her. (Like BlueRose in RuneScape)
    Catalyst88
                            posted 11-11-2001 09:15 GMT            

Well, you could have some kind of angelic figures to police the game, normally unseen. You could also have a forum where
                         people report stupid names... or get people to volunteer for reading over the logs :)
    Kendaro
                            posted 11-11-2001 16:21 GMT            

thats what i was considering it to be. not realy someone in game but some one over looking the game.
    Kalika
                            posted 11-11-2001 16:25 GMT            

Yes, there was the problem of fakes in rs... a big problem.

Kal.
    Oldman Kay
                            posted 11-11-2001 16:27 GMT            

Yes true Kalilka or whatever...

But there will be a seperate race, or maybe just a look for the mods and etc. like that. That way it would be impossible, unless
                         you hacked, to act like a police/guad/mod whatever.
    Kendaro
                            posted 11-11-2001 16:35 GMT            

not from what they devs have written.... they said they want to play the game along side the rest of us. sure they will have
                         powers that we do not. but i think it was said that they plan on starting just like the rest of us. the powers are just pertaining to
                         moderating abilities. and im sure none of us could just go up and kill them... oh and thats getting way off topic..
    kendrick
                            posted 12-11-2001 12:43 GMT            

I think that people should make real Role Play names, like their spose to, so if your name has like a color, or somethin
                         un-mideval then you shouldn\'t be aloud to use that name... thinking up good names only takes a few seconds, don\'t pick
                         anything like \'utahjazz\' or \'1m b3$t\'

nothing with colors, nothing insulting, don\'t pick anything that sounds \'cute\' that will just PO some people, cute names usually
                         end in \'ie\' or \'y\', and nothing that has more than one number and 2 words
    Kendaro
                            posted 12-11-2001 12:57 GMT            

lol names ending in ie.... reminds me of a name i had in EQ on the test server. there wasnt a customer support on that server so
                         the name policy didnt count there... i had a gnome rogue named Gimmie Jormonie.....you know.. its realy up to the devs about
                         what exactly the name policy would be. i am just hoping that there will be one and that names, just like Kendrik mentioned,
                         wouldnt be allowed. it takes away from the role playing experience when your walking along and out of the blue some one runs
                         by with a name \"1 own ju\" or the name of a sports team, a band, or even a clothes brand.
    GreyWolfa
                            posted 12-11-2001 02:22 GMT            

is my name ok? coz i like this name its wut i use in rs and just about everywhere esle

Should get everyone whos resistered here to post their names to see wut kinda names ppls will be using in this game
    icebolt
    PS W.T.B. Member
                            posted 12-11-2001 20:53 GMT            

I think there should be a name filter that has the following options:
                         - no swearing
                         - no numbers, but with Roman numerals
                         - no capital letters ( it really irritates
                         me, but is probably a personal opinion)

Lenric

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2002, 06:34:01 am »
Just a thought because everyone is working so hard on the game world but why would they need to be able to play right when they chose a name ?

I mean at first at the beginning couldnt you make it so people would have to apply for a name like say 24 hours or so ...im sure alot of people would already sign up if they could request that there names not be taken if you had a seperate file for this with perhaps the peoples emails ....
This would also help the game a bit I believe since the people that would be playing at first would be people that were here for a long time and wanted the best for the game.
Instead of getting the little morons that will and trust me they will go out of there way to find some way to bend push pull your rules in some fashion or another

perhaps you could give a power to everyone after a certain time making them all moniters of names basically
so if someone arrived with a name that was not good for the setting they could talk to them and then kick them if the person refused to go along with the rules.
  also so this wouldnt get into the wrong hands and people banning kicking for no reason there would perhaps be a time limit set or lvl also the person kicked would be able to email or speak with a moderater as they would get kicked into an abyss and stuck there .

this way it would be good for all it would make your players more aware of whats going on around them and with everyone able to do something sorta special that cant hurt anyone else make your game that much better.

respectfully
Lenric

Dumb Woob

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2002, 12:33:13 am »
grr... i really want the name dumb woob

Gretchit

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2002, 07:01:30 pm »
I totally agree.. In Runescape, most of the game is ruined by people who have names like:
I r00l y0u
n00b 4 l1fe
Same thing goes in Runescape..
They are so irritating!
1337 or l33t is so nerdy!
The most iritating name I have seen is
1 I-Iav3 I31g I3a11s
Do you want somebody with that name walking around a fantasy game? Hopefully you said no :P

--
Woob I like your name too :)
-Gretchit Keep

meket

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2002, 07:34:51 pm »
woobs name is jsut dumb. and im glad i wont have to see that in game.

Dumb Woob

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2002, 10:17:55 pm »
1.) my name is Dumb Woob, any insult on my name using the word Dumb isn\'t to effective.

2.)my name could be rpgish, for all you know a woob could be a creature in the game of some sort... hopefully some sort of gnome..

3.) My name is awesome, much better than meket... what kind of name is meket?

kyalin

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2002, 11:20:09 pm »
Meket sounds like an rpg type name.  Dumb woob is......well......unique

Dumb Woob

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2002, 01:25:30 am »
do we need to go over this again?

Kendaro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2002, 02:54:03 am »
Meket........Dumb Woob..........saying these things outloud the Kendaro sees something. Meket is a name as is Acraig, Kendrick, Corsair, Kada\'El, Antonio, Kyalin, and even Cyonamie. Dumb Woob sounds like something the Kendaro has heard a dwarf use as an insult. the Kendaro would not think it to be a name a mother would name her child... well unless that mother wished to be cruel to her child. the Kendaro doesnt wish to make offence in this. the Kendaro just saying what the Kendaro thinks.

Dumb Woob

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2002, 11:33:18 pm »
lol, Kendaro are crazy in the coconut...

ninkwi njadro

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2002, 05:42:46 pm »
dumb woob is kinda stupid! and does sound like an insult of a dwarve i have to agree with kendaro
I like the idea of name filter i don\'t want to walk in a city full of knights and sorcers and meet a dude named \"I 4m 4 L4m3r\" or something like that!

p.s what does kendaro mean??