Author Topic: Tobacco  (Read 6049 times)

fken

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2005, 05:25:05 am »
Originally posted by dragonfire999
bleh you got me to respond....
i think there should be tobacco, but smoking it in public areas should be punisable.

if some ... ***bip*** ... havent add ... ***bip***... things in the cigaretts like nicotine or ammoniac (and worse) to addict their customers, there wouldn\'t be any smoking area and punishment...
in the middle age that was off course allowed. Read Tolkien and you will understand. Even in the beginnig of the 20th century it was funny to smoke... Im not ok irl for that but just imagine in every part of the world people smoke : indians from America, europa, North America (once the genocid was done), Africa, India, and certainly Australia (I dunno the Australia history Im sorry).
But its like coffee... people didnt smoke tobacco or drink coffee everytimes. It was rare (only sometimes) and so there was no cancer...

Originally posted by ajdaha
Tobaco, whats the point of that?

Atleast get half of the professions implemented before you start adding pointless ones.

You are right.
*fken stand up, look at the people and shout:
\"So You have understood people! No more wish until the other skills come!\"

sekhmet

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2005, 07:44:29 am »
1. It\'s in human (and some animals) nature to get some kind of buzz, be it drunk, stoned, poisoned or watever.  Theirfor I think it is a must to have alcohol and other drugs in game. Their are animals who eat rotten fruit to get drunk and primates on tropical beaches that go steal alcoholic cocktails from customers on the beach untill they drop on the floor, drunk. We have had shaman smoke weed, eat mushrooms and that sort of stuff from way back into pre-historic times. A lot of the cave paintings are proven to have been painted in an altered state of mind (also halucinating from being so long in the dark). The BAD imago around weed is to be blamed to America, that untill the point of the second world war even promoted the growth of this crop. America has never spend more money on proving a drug is harmfull, but they have discovered nothing on weed that makes it more harmfull than alcohol, even contrary, alcohol is more harmfull. Even stuff like cocaine was generaly used in the start of the 20th century as a painkiller. So labeling weed as bad is just a social thing, look at the netherlands, they allow the use of weed and they have the lowest addiction rate in Europe (offcourse it\'s full of tourist, who see it as a drug paradise).

2. We should have original names for these things to avoid problems with parents and such, and just to keep things original.

3. Avoid to advanced techniques: bongs, cigarettes, vaporizers, pills. We need to keep things in a primitive state.

4. Doing drugs should have a negative effect on your physical (and/or mental) state, but might be necesary for some kind of shaman ritual to get into contact with the spiritual plane for instance.

5. alcohol=drugs, their is no denying it. getting drunk is poisoning your body, that\'s why they call overuse of alcohol, alcohol-poisoning.

6. medicine use and drug use are very much related, you really can\'t have the one without the other. The zulu\'s had their shaman give their warriors, a mix of herbs (weed amongs it) before going into battle. It broke the inhibitions of their warriors and they became fierce killing machines.

A virtual world without drugs wouldn\'t be right, it would be incomplete. I am against an Ostrich politic, the facts are as they are, we humans have a need to get some kind of buzz. Don\'t let this game be ruled by the American social climate.

Arkhaz

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2005, 07:55:41 am »
you do know this topic is about tobacco? when comparing tobacco to fantasy I (as most in here seems to do) thinks of a pipe, I think alcohol (beer, wine etc.) and pipes are okay in PS, but I am not so sure about Drugs

sekhmet

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2005, 08:06:26 am »
Tobacco is a drug
Alcohol is a drug.

You are refering to your socialy accepted drugs.

Jazeera

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2005, 08:17:34 am »
Well, if they did implement pipes (or any other kind of smoking device) then there could be different kind of plants, each with it\'s own side effects or none at all.
But I don\'t think the game should focus much at drugs and such...
Jazeera Hlaaron

Cyl

• Hydlaa Notable
  • *Ninja Poof*
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2005, 10:07:05 am »
*remembers Gothic I & II*

Well, I wonder what under the azure sun is worth smoking.

Anyways the so often told RP-factor, I think of RP by having a world just of imagination without influence of the RW, and explaining why things are/are not ingame with RL reasons somehow bothers me
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 10:12:02 am by Cyl »
MMORPG - Many Men Online Role Playing Girls

derwoodly

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2005, 08:18:51 pm »
Some would say PS is already bad for you, even without tobacco.  

For your reading amusement:
http://www.watchman.org/occult/frpgames2.htm

quote: \"While I would somewhat enjoy having pipes in the game (Entirely because one of my characters likes to chew on pipes.. just the whole sage thing...), I can equally understand not having it there. Heck, my grandpa died partially from smoking (I wanted to shove that pipe down his throat sooo many times...), so I know well the harm it can have. \"

ditto: except for the shove it down his throat thing that would have killed him way before the tobacco did.

[edit: moved the link had it at the end]
« Last Edit: May 21, 2005, 08:24:21 pm by derwoodly »

keder

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2005, 01:18:04 pm »
Originally posted by Arthureloi
I liked the idea and i hope its implemented in the game. Really good, and no harm, cuz u have to smoke many years for the harm to occour!

everything in the game is accelerated... you wouldn\'t want to play an infant for 3 years now would you? can you imagine a 5 year old trying to wield a sword? based on the typical training rates for mmorpg\'s, your smoking habit would have your character dying from smoking complications in ... roughly a month and a half.

--- keder maloy

ajdaha

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2005, 05:08:56 pm »
To Sakhmet...
\"I\'ll give you, a buzz!\"
*shakes fist.
love

McHammer

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Realistic game?
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2006, 03:44:36 am »
\"Tobacco is a bad example for kids!\"
This is a game!. We already have alcohol in game. And what kids think if you wont get drunk from beer and you gain some extra hitpoints.
 Someone wrote topic about psychedelic mushrooms, he/she thought it would be fun if there were some in the game. And everyone was like: \"Yea! that would be cool, lets add some visual hallusinations and heavy trips to shrooms and its perfect\"
 And now people dont want tobacco to the game because kids will start to smoke. This should be realistic game, not sensored teaching game to +3 years old.

I understand is someone wouldnt want to see pot in the game (I\'d like to have it too), but i really cant understand why there shouldnt be tobacco. It would raise the atmosphere much...

zanzibar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2006, 04:25:52 am »
Originally posted by Slagle
Smoking should calm your character and give him a bad cough so he has to stop every 5 seconds and hack.

and shutting down the tavern would make me want to quit PS

An endurance penalty which goes away over time.

Re:Addicts... my character might go through more than 10,000 trias of health potions when I play.  The people I play with in game have the joke that I\'m a health potion junky, and I play it up sometimes.

A lot of this stuff just has logical consequences through RP.  I\'m not saying that the game should be reduced as a platform, but certain things are just naturalistic in nature and it isn\'t worth the hassle to include them in the game mechanics.

Originally posted by Hatchnet
O and one more thing.
Did you know that you have to already be at a high risk of getting cancer to get cancer from tobaco and that if you are already at a high risk for cancer the odds are you will get it anyways.

I didn\'t know that, and for a very good reason:  It isn\'t true.
Quote from: Raa
Immaturity is FTW.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2006, 05:29:05 am »
Realistic Game?

Mc Hammer has some points. Alcohol causes as much trouble as tobacco does. I\'d say more, since it\'s a drug with disinhibitory properties.

Besides, when you have an internet connection you\'re already open to all kinds of information.

I don\'t think we should worry much with this though. There\'s plenty of other stuff that should be implemented before tobacco :P
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 05:30:14 am by Sangwa »
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!