Author Topic: Building a site for planeshift content  (Read 1669 times)

orogor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Building a site for planeshift content
« on: January 06, 2004, 06:56:07 pm »
Building a site for planeshift content:

Well , i just saw this post with low poly meshes and this reminded me to post here than i am currently building a site with bluecommand and ravna for for submiting planeshift content.

The goal  is to make  some kind of pool of user submited content where devs or peoples can pick in oder to run their server , it should also make it possible for the devs to have an idee of what player want.

In fact the site isn t suposed to be only about meshes , but about textures , character , quest , sounds , or whatever you need to build a planeshift map.

well , you  want to get a more accurate idee of what i am talking about , then have a look at http://orogor.no-ip.com/library2/

note than it s completely useless to submit things here because i reset the DB like 5 times a day, also sometime evrything can seems broken , it can also happen than my ip just changed so you might just not be able to reatch the site for like 15min, it can also happen then i sleep ( yes it does happen ) in this case my computer is off.

If you like the idee , know php , mysql or javascript , or know enought of planeshift/crystalspace to write some guide , then you can contact me as orogor on #planeshift on quakenet , or drop message me on msn as orogor@hotmail.com
I did finaly found a work :))

Arganis

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 08:52:10 am »
Idea is very cool, though that site is quite weird, maybe it would be better just to make some sort of ftp site where ppl could upload stuff, and then the website host would check them out (so nothing non-planeshift ralated crap wouldn\'t get into the site) and upload to the site.

So it would work as a normal website, with different pages for textures, models, etc.

I think this kind of library would be cool.

orogor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 09:20:46 am »
in fact it s what we are already doing , exept than there is no upload yet ,  there might be upload later  , but perhaps not for evrything , or in a particular way . because a PS map can easily grow to 5 meg , and with a few maps and some pictures , the 50Meg than you got with any free host would be quickly filled .

the site should looks like a thumbnail gallerry  , perhaps a picture wasn t correctly loaded and fu**ed your  layout , or perhaps i was coding and added a few debug output , who can make the site looks extremly weird i admit

The site will include ranking and voting for items in like 2 or 3 days i think, and a moderation systeme to edit/delet items . then we will  add the characters and quest section using the already existing  planeshift code ( this might takes long to finish ) in order of easily exporting stuff to server .

The site also link to some guides and tutorial on how to edit planeshift maps , create one , run a server , ect . So you can pick the content than other peoples submited , then use it to run a server. (please drop me a mail if you have any correction / sugestion for those guides )

Uyaem

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 09:21:33 am »
What will be definately needed for the page is some sort of thumbnail functionality. (currently the \"mini-images\" seem to be loaded full size, then shrinked with html attributes)
Try compiling PHP with the gd library (found @ http://www.boutell.com/gd/), it supports the most common image formats and seems to do a pretty nice job. Without that the traffic will sooner or later kill your connection.

Whether you store the thumbnails as BLOBs or create them on the fly is going to be a hard choice though... big server load, or big database? (as in \"typhoid or cholera?\") ;)
The internet is "the terrorists'" most important weapon, they say.
Wrong.
Fear is their most important weapon.
Ours is our freedom.

THAPRINZE

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 11:30:58 am »
nice idea...but the site does look a bit weird yeah.

orogor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 11:41:12 am »
i am thinking of an hybrid solution , like using gd to create a thumbnail stored as file on the server, only when the user add a new entry , and still keep a link to the original full sized image. this should do the job for server load and disk space.

orogor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 07:14:29 pm »
Well , now almost all i whish is there , you can vote on all the items and there is a ranking section.

I am still looking for peoples who can draw me background  , if they know a bit of all those neat CSS features , it would be nice too .

I am also looking for peps who can write some guides for importing   content into planeshift (... yes i know the CB release is coming closer and closer ,  but i think than we will not have to throw all the guides at the trash)

If you want to join for coding some php i think i could use some help too , the big next step ( and i wont wait for it to be finished to release the site ) is to be able to add charecters and quests

The site engine is 95% done now , i still need to generate thumbnail when an item is added, but it s already fully functional.

The site will be hosted with by tree-castle project on sourceforge.

If you want to have a preiview of the site go to http://orogor.no-ip.com you should be redirected correctly , if you can t reatch the site , the mean my computer is turned off , probably because i am sleeping ....

I ll post here in few days , when the site good enought to be moved to the tree-caste  account.

sekhmet

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 09:04:54 am »
Hey, like wat you are doing. I\'ve been thinking to make a webpage like that too.

We need some info on their of wat programs can be used to directly add the 3D models we make to Planeshift (for Windows and Linux). And we need a builders guide for PS zones.

Keep up the good work!

orogor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2004, 09:09:28 am »
The site already have links to some guide for how to make models and maps than you can load into planeshift
I already tried em succefully.

there s a guide to how to make characters , but it s kinda a pain to do it if you aren t very comfortable to 3D modeling and character animation , so i din t tried em.

If you want to join and help , contact me on irc , or msn. there s always work to do

Skizzik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2004, 08:21:29 am »
The site is turning out nicely. It\'s more related to the technical aspect of the game (textures, models, etc) than the other PS fan sites, and I guess that\'s a good thing.

Visit the Circle Of Legends at:
http://www.circleoflegends.tk

lynx_lupo

• Veteran
  • Sorbus aria!
    • View Profile
    • Linux pri nas
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2004, 02:52:53 pm »
The site had major improvements and is fully operational!
"Amor sceleratus habendi"- Ovid
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you eat them." -Godzilla

orogor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2004, 08:58:23 pm »
Yhea  , i ve been away for  a few hours today , and had a good surpirse when i came back , thanks to axsyrus and bluecommand.

I d like to have talad to check it tomorow , if he s okey , i ll spend my day to find some good host for it  , as  once released it will no more be possible to host it on my own computer.

I m still looking for peoples willing to write some guides for it.
So , if you aleady modified the textures , sound , if u already used cal3d , if u already compiled and runed planeshift , if u think u can be helpfull in anyway , contact me on msn as orogor@hotmail.com or on  the planeshift irc channel , i also got an icq number , but i can never remember it.

( anyone can send me the php script for getting server status  please ? )

orogor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2004, 09:01:50 pm »
nm , just found php script on the forum  , a simple search managed to answer my question , and i noticed than bluecommand have it in his sig , so i guess he wil be able to put it on the site

orogor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2004, 02:34:34 pm »
Well , site should be launched tomorow , or at worst the day after , evrything seems to be here .
If u find there is a missing feature than u absolutly need there s a sugestion section anyway.

For those who didn t browsed the site yet , there is an art section , who allow to post fan art too , and to see them 25 at a time in thumnbail , then vote on an item .

I hope than the site will be the prefered place to post fan art when it will be released ( do not post anything yet because of database reset in 1 or 2 days, exept if u want to pay with it and see how it works ).

Tomorow Talad should edit the guides himself , in order to be sure than everything is like he want , and because i don thave the necessary english skills to explain things in a simple way.

So  be ready , i hope i didn t worked for nuthing and than the site will have  some success.

( note: for those who didn t know , from time to time the planeshift team will browse the site , and pick up some submited texture  , or model  and add them into planeshift  )

orogor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2004, 03:16:55 am »
Well ,the  site seems to be okey for being released , but now i have problems for hosting it , i hope i ll find a solution soon.

I already tried to host it on sourceforge , but for some reason it doesn t works on sourceforge , i ve tried to host it on the arcaneorder site too ( thanks to them ) but they didn t have GD , and on lycos , but they dont have allow_url_fopen , so i m still looking for a server to host it.

i think i m goonna try the free.fr account of a friend today , if it works , then i ll register a free account than i ll receive in one week , i hope this will turn out to be a working host.