Author Topic: Bonds  (Read 326 times)

Fanomatic2000

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Bonds
« on: January 31, 2004, 09:26:05 pm »
Well, I\'ve though about this a lot, and I think it\'s time for me to actually post it and share my thoughts with the rest of you :)
Have you ever felt symphaty for all the monsters you so happily put down when you invade their home and steal their treasures? Have you ever though about why those bandits in Morrowind just attack you without even saying so much as a word, or why they attack you even if you\'re wearing an ?ber-armor and the best weapon in the game when they themself run around with rags and penknifes?
And are orcs or trolls so stupid that you cannot converse with them other than with a broadsword? Are all monsters mindless fools who attacks everything they see, even if they know that they wont stand a chance and that they could as well avoid a fight?

I want to change the fact that most monsters in RPGs are stupid and mindless creatures who exists only as XP-sources. I want to have an option to all this hack n\' slash and give each monster a personality. Monsters who you can form bonds to, and even refer to as friends or allies.
I will try to explain what I mean by giving you an example.

Your character are wandering about in Yliakum when he suddenly bumps into a monster. The monster takes a quick look at your pathetic armor and weak sword, and decides that you\'re easy prey, so it attacks you, but it underestimates your skills and with a little luck you beat it to the ground.
The monster becomes scared and begs of you to spare its life, and you do, because you find it unnecessary to kill the poor thing for some reason, so you cast a healing-spell on him. This changes your relation to the monster to \"neutral\", which means that he wont attack you unless you attack him first. Later, with help of your charisma and charm you manage to raise your relationship with the monster to \"friendly\". The monster will now defend you if you get attacked, give you gifts, or sell things to you, and if you go even further he will eventually consider you as an ally and perhaps even stand by your side on your adventures.
To avoid stupid AI, monsters who works in groups such as clans works as one single unit, meaning that if you help one member of the clan it will spread it amongst the other clan-members so that eventually all members sets you to \"neutral\" for example.
So each monster has a special relationship to every player, and threats all players different, and if they get killed the monster simply dies and the data is lost.
This could create pretty intresting situations between players who hunts for food and XP and players such as druids who defends their allies. :)

Being allied with normally hostile creatures could give you access to their stores (with special offers), give you free food, a place to sleep, important information and so on...
You could also get special, random quests that raises the clans belief in you, or gives you items or trias.

There should be many ways to create a bond to monsters. If you get captured by their clan for example (this would be nice to see in a later version), you could use your charisma to manipulate the members. Perhaps you\'ll manage to convince them to release you, either by bribing them, or simply by using your charm.
Also, if an NPC gets attacked by another creature and you side with the first (or the other) creature he will think of it as a friendly act and raise his relationship to you.

Perhaps I\'m a bit enthusiastic here, but it would be great to see some of those ideas in PS someday. Ah well, you can always dream ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2004, 09:27:02 pm by Fanomatic2000 »

Be a member of our Mirthful community.
Join us today!   :]

Note:  This is my old account. I am now known as \"Jadd\".

SnowWolf

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2004, 09:42:13 pm »
Ways of pulling this off:

I doubt it would be possible to have a relationship with every monster, but knowing certain monster NPCs would probably work.

Also, instead of having a relationship with every orc, why not have different faction for different clans?

This has been done before, so it\'s definitely doable.

From the Ranks of the Arcane Order

SnowWolf

RussianVodka

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2004, 09:49:22 pm »
yes, like maby there are 2 orcen clans at war, you are neutral to both... you decide to help one clan and you become friendly with it, and enemy with the other clan...

I like the idea of resoning with monsters... just as long as its with things as orcs and ogres.. not wolves and bears..

Q: How many Planeshifters does it take to expalin a simple concept to a newb?
A: Six. Five to argue on who\'s explanation is right, and Moogie to lock the thread.

SnowWolf

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2004, 10:10:52 pm »
I disagree - How about rangers and mages of the Brown Way? They love animals.

SnowWolf

Fanomatic2000

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 03:05:12 am »
Well, imagine that every monster (or animal) has some sort of register of every player that is in the game. They all follow this sceme, so the only data that is required is \"Player \'Galwer\' is set to enemy - attack on sight\", \"Player \'Larod\' is set to friend - Defend him\" and so on...

I dont know very much about programming and such, but it cannot take up so much disk-space, can it?
When I say \"monsters\" I mean animals as well. If you\'re a druid (or ranger) you could become friend with the animals of the forest so that they wont attack you, and you could have a special relationship with each of the animals.
Perhaps you have formed a bond to a bear for example. This means that you can ride on him and that he will defend you as well. I only used trolls and orcs as an example (these will propably not be in the game anyway), but wouldn\'t it be cool to say \"Oh, there goes Dumph Giant, my neighbor, but dont worry about him. He\'s a good friend of mine.\"
Or why not a druid who knows every animal in the forest. How would he react to hunters or monsters who barges into his forest and kill all the animals? It could become quite a fight between both parts :)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2004, 03:37:50 am by Fanomatic2000 »

Be a member of our Mirthful community.
Join us today!   :]

Note:  This is my old account. I am now known as \"Jadd\".

DraGonFisT

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 03:27:44 am »
i think its a very good idea...worth the devs going over it.....then again its just my opinion.....

druke

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2004, 03:32:03 am »
this is done in everquest actually, things wont attack you if you high level, unless there mindless undead, animals have faction and allf actions can be altered

my how times have changed.....

Tyriel

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2004, 03:40:02 pm »
Yes...like in Dransik where a special level of Training or Charisma can tain a special Creature...

But not all Creatures like some spawned hell demons or mindless undead...hmm* but thoes can be optained by a Spell or a necromancer to summon..

But still meybe there could be races or classes that can make different creatures to their allies..like Druids-Forest animals,Barbarian or such-Heavy/big creatures,Mages-Undead,demons,Big/burning birds,Dragons,etc.

well I like the Idea alot...but then again if u need a high lvl of skill u need even higher lvl of Exp and that means Killin,killin and killin..
\"I have the power to take everything from you.. Including your life\"

Guild for Warriors and Thieves..Guild for adventurers of Strenght and Dexterity-- Portal to our realm http://www.swordofsilence.tk

SnowWolf

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2004, 04:07:54 pm »
Hmmm, you might be able to use the PIN system from the character name threads to pull this off client side (knowing EVERY creature) - the only difference would be that the user would have no control over the data and the file would have to be secure so people can\'t go around hacking their relations.

However, I still think that the faction concept is better for this type of game unless you\'re talking about a specific NPC. The reason being this - say you like orc a and hate orc b - how can you tell the difference between them? They use the same character model!

SnowWolf

Tyriel

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2004, 04:34:32 pm »
Originally posted by SnowWolf

However, I still think that the faction concept is better for this type of game unless you\'re talking about a specific NPC. The reason being this - say you like orc a and hate orc b - how can you tell the difference between them? They use the same character model!

Yeah ..good point
\"I have the power to take everything from you.. Including your life\"

Guild for Warriors and Thieves..Guild for adventurers of Strenght and Dexterity-- Portal to our realm http://www.swordofsilence.tk