Author Topic: Comments to Matzes Diary  (Read 2403 times)

MatzeB

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Comments to Matzes Diary
« on: April 17, 2002, 01:18:40 am »
Hey, link.
I\'m quite sure you would cry if we would release the demo like it is. Everytime someone leaves the server you have a chance of 1 to 3 at the moment that the server crashs, so I\'m sure we should fix this before we release :)
Also it\'s a TechDemo: Only walking around and chatting - No pterosaurs.

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2002, 01:42:19 am »
Sorry i was half asleep when i wrote that reply to your other post. I noticed it later and couldnt find delete button. But i was just kidding about the phetasaurs, take your time, i would like to be able to explore and leave without server crashes.
The Great Linksunius

Tok'ra

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
hehe
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2002, 02:42:45 am »
hehe...
ya, that would suck... Every 2 minutes the server crashes because someone leaves... that make some one stressfull, and you don\'t want lawsuits against ya already(lol, just kidding). :D

All where gana be able to do is Talk and walk? No Jumping? lol... that kinda sucks too... but on the other hand, wen it comes where we will be able to train and stuff, will know the land quite well. :)

Lets hope this game comes out soon, befor someone looses there life... no pun intended :P ... or rush.

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2002, 03:00:13 am »
Originally posted by Tok\'ra
that make some one stressfull, and you don\'t want lawsuits against ya already

THe game isnt even Beta yet, There would be no way to sue, even if it blew up your monitor and burned your house down, The Disclaimer on most betas states that they are not liable for damages and this isnt even there yet. About Jumping. i havent heard about it i dont know if it will ever be in.
The Great Linksunius

Kada-El

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2002, 03:01:24 am »
Thank you for doing this MatzeB, it really helps to be able to see the progress that is being made and the problems you are encountering on the way to release.

Gion

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2002, 03:48:06 am »
Yes Matzeb

I wanna really really thank you for starting these posts.
Now we know what is going on and what you guys are doing.

Thanks.

Gion.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2002, 03:48:47 am by Gion »

Kenny

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2002, 08:39:39 am »
Yea, i think you\'re doing a great job MatzeB.

stickman

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2002, 10:06:46 am »
thank u for posting the progress
i lost my sig... i hope ur happy

WTD

Tok'ra

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Only Linux??
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2002, 12:21:09 pm »
Only Linux??  Bummer....

Hey, you think if I ran Linux an Win ME at on the same Hard Drive that I could switch back and forth??? I never Tried that.... :rolleyes: I wonder if it could....

Anyone think it could, and if so, tell me how, please. :)

Ps: the things i\'d do for this game eh?

Link

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2002, 03:28:37 pm »
No You repartition your Hardrive and Install it.
The Great Linksunius

cmhitman

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
WHAT?!?
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2002, 05:04:15 pm »
Since when was this a linux project and not windows?
i thought everyone knew that micro$oft was the standard for everything consumer computer?
PROUD [SOLE]    HITMAN CLAN WILL RISE AGAIN!      

Tok'ra

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Blah!
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2002, 05:10:23 pm »
I dont wana format my comp(again)... ;(

you think I could Install Linux, then uninstall Windows. but not loosig anything ?

cmhitman: there making a version for both OS, so like that Everyone can play!! :D But latelly he only got the Lixus version to work properly enough to release, I know, it sucks, but diffrent OS\'s means some bug will or woun\'t be there. : /

cmhitman

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2002, 05:37:58 pm »
it\'s funny though.
the linux version done before the windows.
probably cause all programmers for windows would expect to get paid and wouldn\'t wanna join a free programming team. and there are alot more people who programm free aps for linux.

corsairk8

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2002, 06:52:40 pm »
Please dont listen to these totally unfounded rumours, both versions of the game will be ready for release. Almost all platform-specific problems are eliminated and most of the bugs remaining are common to both linux and windows. Also note that the windows installer is complete, work is going on for a linux installer. The release will be for all supported platforms, otherwise we wouldnt release it.

Also, windows isnt the standard for everything to do with computing, quite a few people use linux. I myself use it, and many of my friends who program regularly do too. It isnt the best consumer-grade operating system but it can be nice if you have the right skills. I recommend people try it to see if they like it, and if not they can go back to windows.

Either way, players will not be advantaged depending on their operating system, their connection bandwidth and latency, or their geographical position. The game will attempt to cater the same for most people who play modern games.

Your comments are always interesting, and the team has a good number of open-source programmers, but I would say that were mostly balanced between windows and linux programmers. Either way, dont go installing linux if all you want is to play planeshift, because Tok\'ra was wrong in stating that it was a linux project, it is multi-platform and no official release will be out only for a specific operating system.

I too like the Matzeb\'s diary and think it should continue as long as possible through these demos so we can pay attention on what is happening in planeshift.

On another note, the server is looking more and more stable, and there is also a script in place to automatically restart it after any crash. Note that it hasnt been tested with many more than 3-5 players, and the server could easily go down occaisonally due to a crash or upgrade.

The demo will probably be coming soon, hopefully after we can at least get a decent bit more testing into it and fix more bugs. Until then, I hope you will stick with this project and wait it through till the end. This is only the first step in a huge project.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2002, 06:55:21 pm by corsairk8 »

cmhitman

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2002, 07:16:12 pm »
My bad,

but thank u for clearing that up with us.
I could have sworn i read somewhere on the forum about the windows version being way to buggy and the linux version being the only stable version but maybe i was wrong or outdated info
« Last Edit: April 21, 2002, 09:31:38 pm by cmhitman »