Author Topic: Random Post Disappearances  (Read 1677 times)

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
Random Post Disappearances
« on: March 03, 2004, 06:19:28 am »
Hiya, there\'s something I think you should look into when you have some spare time.

I\'ve noticed recently that a few posts (proper ones, not spam) have been disappearing from threads. Posts that reply to newbie/technical questions, mostly. I can\'t give any examples at the moment, but when I notice it happen again I\'ll post the details. I\'ve only noticed this on threads which havn\'t yet been replied to- they get a reply, and a few hours later I notice that the reply is gone again. ?(

Just thought it was strange, and you should look out for similar occurances.

Kixie

• Veteran
  • I chase the moon, liquour, cars and women.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 10:40:31 am »
oh ok, i thought you mods were being mean to me as always. glad to know that it might just be the servers and not my status as the forum troll... :P

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 03:17:50 pm »
Yuh, I thought it was the mods deleting stuff.  :D Ah well, I\'ll keep an eye out.  :P

Davis

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 04:40:32 pm »
Yeah, I also thought my posts were just getting deleted...

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 06:11:36 pm »
We are deleting... alot. But I\'m talking about helpful, useful posts here. :P

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 08:19:54 pm »
Originally posted by whemyfield
oh ok, i thought you mods were being mean to me as always. glad to know that it might just be the servers and not my status as the forum troll... :P

I would just delete all of whemyfield\'s post, delete his user name, and block his IP addy. That will show the rest how to spam!!! X(
Jk, somewhat.....nah, not really.... :D
Yeah, I got a couple of MY GOOD posts deleted, they were awesome, like that one about awesomeness, and how I was the king of it, that one got the boot. ;(

Join BISM here: BISM
Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

RussianVodka

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 09:46:16 pm »
Yea... I also got many posts deleted. And at first i blamed the mods. But its nice to know (sorta) that they are not to blame.

Q: How many Planeshifters does it take to expalin a simple concept to a newb?
A: Six. Five to argue on who\'s explanation is right, and Moogie to lock the thread.

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 12:02:31 am »
I just deleted another 45 posts from The CV thread in Guilds.  If your posts are disappearing from that forum, it is probably mods.  I will continue to delete pointless, uninformative posts and empty posturing about stupid wars which will never happen.

Yes RussianVodka and Davis, many of them were yours.

Whemy, your disappearing posts are also your pointless ones.  Accident?  I think not.  Bug in forum code?  I think not.

AendarCallenlasse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 12:25:48 am »
Well I think the problem Vengeance is that some of the posts that were deleted were actually relevant to the discussion.

ie.  One of Kiern\'s posts got deleted.  In that post if stated how the BISM would handle hiring out it\'s members.  Why was that post deleted?

EDIT: After reading through the post-deletion thread it seems you deleted all of Kiern\'s posts.  Which was stupid because they were perfectly on-topic and very relevant to the topic.

But yes most of those posts were getting out of hand and needed deleteing, but you also deleted a few posts that didn\'t need posting.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 12:28:34 am by AendarCallenlasse »

Only n00bs don't quote themselves...
<Aendar>...

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 07:21:24 am »
Yeah, apparently I\'m about to be banned...you know, since I\'ve been posting so much and generally ruining the boards for everyone by trying to clear some things about The BISM up.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 07:25:44 am by Kiern »

Kixie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2004, 07:46:03 am »
welcome to the \"brink-of-being-banned-from-the-forums club\" kiern. finally i have some company...

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2004, 08:29:01 am »
Originally posted by AendarCallenlasse
But yes most of those posts were getting out of hand and needed deleteing, but you also deleted a few posts that didn\'t need posting.

Some others will inevitably be deleted by mistake, either because they referred to other spam posts or simply because it was too hard to try and figure out what was spam and what wasn\'t (when two or more discussions are going on at the same time in a thread).

The people who spam are wholly to blame for the attention any mod gives to your thread in the first place. That said, we\'re sorry for any mistakes made while we clean up after them. If you feel your post was completely on-topic, just re-post it (WITHOUT any \"omg my post was deleted\" note or any reference to it... ugh there\'s nothing more irritating... :P)

Hehe, anyways... umm... yeah. :)

Caldazar

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2004, 10:10:44 am »
Maybe some of my posts disappeared magically aswell.
I just thought that I was pwned by the mods over and over :rolleyes:
Browsing the forums when I\'m bored, nothing more.

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2004, 07:12:11 pm »
Aendar,

Your spammy thread was made worse by your own responses to the Cabal and Merc posts.  This blurred the line between what was on topic posting by you and what was off topic posting to derail the objective of the thread.  I tried to delete things in the latter category while still maintaining anything that appeared to have a point to it.  I did not intentionally delete \"all\" of Kiern\'s posts--in fact I barely look at who has posted what unless I start to notice a pattern.  Probably those posts were deleted because they were either a) bitching about the mods, or b) about the BISM and off-topic to the CV guild thread.

- V

Kixie

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2004, 07:20:34 pm »
:P your so stuck up you wont even write your name now venge you just type a -V hahahha thats hilarious! Anyways i guess the whole post dissapearence, mass mod deletion or MMDs i like to call them, are a result of everyones complaining about spam. this is definally the most conservative forum i have ever posted on. Frankly i dont care anymore cus ive got a machine powerfull enough to play MB with out any lag so im usually on mb instead of here now...

EDIT: hehe the new trend of the forums....

-W
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 07:39:26 pm by Kixie »