Author Topic: Texturing in Wings3D!  (Read 736 times)

Thardin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Texturing in Wings3D!
« on: March 05, 2004, 07:28:13 pm »
I quote text from a user \"PC\" on this ezboard forum:
http://pub161.ezboard.com/fnendowingsmiraifrm3.showMessage?topicID=694.topic

\"Or maybe you meant that you\'ve assigned the model some texture and saved it out, but the texture doesn\'t show up in Wings once you import the object? It should show up automatically, but won\'t always do so (if the texture and model are in different directories etc.. can cause problems), so you\'d have to load the image into Wings and assign it to the model manually.
First load the texture Top Menu > File > Import Image.. Then open the Outliner window, Top Menu > Window > Outliner. In the outliner, figure out what your object\'s material name is (materials have a little [M] icon next to them), then click on the name of the image you\'ve loaded in to highlight it, then drag-and-drop it onto your object\'s material. A little menu should pop up called \'Texture Type\' and listing Diffuse, Gloss, and Bump.. click on Diffuse. That should do it, if your model has the UV data on it should now see it fine.
Oh and make sure both Show Materials and Show Textures are checked under the Top Menu > View menu, or textures won\'t get displayed.\"

Thanks very much to the guy/girl who wrote this.

The only disadvantage is that you can only assign one texture to one material, but you could just make a model out of several materials. :)

Thardin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 07:35:42 pm »
This is not good, but the best I could in 5 minutes, just to show how cool it can look. :)

http://home.planet.nl/~eetge000/3dModels/textured.png

Have fun!

orogor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 12:20:15 pm »
Look in the download section of laanx wheel of whishes and see there s a short howto for generating uv maps
I did finaly found a work :))

Thardin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 01:07:49 pm »
Originally posted by orogor
Look in the download section of laanx wheel of whishes and see there s a short howto for generating uv maps

Thanks. :)

RussianVodka

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 02:47:39 pm »

Here is my new axe, i dont get how to render good quality skins in Wings3d though.

As you can see its a printscreen of Wings, on the left i have the rusty axe with leather handle as you would see it when modeling... and on the right, i have the rendered version...
 Now i got a problem, why cant i see the skin as good in render as i can while modeling. All help will be apreciated...

Thanx in advance

Q: How many Planeshifters does it take to expalin a simple concept to a newb?
A: Six. Five to argue on who\'s explanation is right, and Moogie to lock the thread.

Thardin

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 06:02:33 pm »
This works for me:

In the top \"View\" menu, mark all the show items, show colors, mat. text. etc...

Add a light, that way it looks better when you render your mesh.

Render options:
Premium quality, render shadows.

And don\'t forget to get the latest stable version of wings3d. 0.98.20c at the moment

RussianVodka

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 07:36:30 pm »
ah, didnt notice they had a new version... tnx
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 07:36:58 pm by RussianVodka »

Q: How many Planeshifters does it take to expalin a simple concept to a newb?
A: Six. Five to argue on who\'s explanation is right, and Moogie to lock the thread.

orogor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 01:55:38 pm »
You may want to try to use yafray as external renderer for getting a better quality when rendering , there s a short howto  about this too in the download section.

orogor

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 02:52:51 am »
to get the render options , clik on the little square next to openGL when you are in the render menu.