Author Topic: Parasites  (Read 1888 times)

Wormtail_

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Parasites
« on: March 29, 2004, 06:39:15 pm »
I apologize if this has been posted before, but anyway...

Perhaps there could be parasties in PS. What they could do is either suck out the health, mana, and so on of our character or suck out the mana, health, and so on of other monsters. Why would we want such negative things? For several reasons. One, promote health care. If you hate this, fine, but parasites are, in my limited experience, not used in that many RPGs if any. Another reason - you are given a way to destroy a powerful monster without actually having to bash its head several times repeatedly with either a club, sword, tornado, cloud, etcetera.

There will be two obvious divisions of the parasite - endoparasite and ectoparasite. The former dwells within its host, the latter dwells on its host. Both types will, of course, be miniscule things that feed off the perhaps unsuspecting host. The host will experience loss of mana, loss of HP, loss of stamina, loss of movement speed, and overall discomfort, among other nasty symptoms. And parasites cannot be destroyed easily, either. While some races may have innate resistance or even immunity to parasites, most will probably not have it.

What is the difference between a monster and a parasite? Well, monsters can easily be taken down hand-to-hand. Parasites need to be destroyed by some other method. Monsters drop loot, parasites may or may not. Parasites can have some special magical properties, though. Parasites can stay around without being noticed, while monsters... cannot.

Pros:

New type of monster
New job or job division
Way to limit uberness, forces players to pay for health services
Realistic

Cons:

Limiting can be annoying
Might be too difficult to implement (tiny creatures are rather difficult to see)

What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2004, 06:39:39 pm by Wormtail_ »
You pay the same price for doing something halfway as for doing it completely. So you might as well do it completely.
-Richard Nixon

Despise the enemy and you will lose.
-Li Tien (or Dian)

Join the BISM!

Elegrand

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2004, 08:51:43 pm »
I think its a great idea. Also sicknesses should be implemented but limitedly.
Captain Elegrand Orden Mornak at your service!

Journeyman in Ordo Illuminatis
http://www.illuminatis.tk

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2004, 09:32:23 pm »
Sounds like poison has the same affects as these parasites you are describing...

Saphire

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2004, 11:27:30 pm »
Endoparasite-infested weapons.

All i can think of is: \"Internal bleeding of the digestive system\"

Ouch. 8o

But parasites WOULD be a good addition, as well as the above point i just made; don\'t put poison on weapons, put parasites on weapons that generate poison! :P
Precious and beutiful, it is happy. The only time when it is not is when it is in a shape of a tear.

DepthBlade

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 01:34:49 pm »
parasites eh?? So we are going to start adding things like that are we? How about we add Crabs to while we are at it and it will lower your stamina :P

RussianVodka

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 04:20:08 pm »
Parasites would be great!!! our guild is short on healers because everyone thinks that position is \"boring\"... this may cause some people to want to heal... if it would cost to get rid of parasites...

Q: How many Planeshifters does it take to expalin a simple concept to a newb?
A: Six. Five to argue on who\'s explanation is right, and Moogie to lock the thread.

DepthBlade

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2004, 05:05:37 pm »
I think it would be neat if every few months or so they released a new plague that you could catch from certain monsters, then there would be temporary medicines to heal it but you would have to complete some sort of quest to get a full cure!

Wormtail_

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2004, 06:35:08 pm »
Or there could be a parasite that is released among the community of sentient beings.

The main difference between parasites and poison is that poison is inflicted, and parasites are found. Such as poisoned swords inflict poison on the victim, while parasites cling to the legs of beings while they are wandering around a swamp. Another difference is that parasites can avoid the cure, or evolve to become resistant to that cure - a reason why it will make the job of Healing more interesting. The tailors will also have an excellent time making clothing that is parasite resistant.
You pay the same price for doing something halfway as for doing it completely. So you might as well do it completely.
-Richard Nixon

Despise the enemy and you will lose.
-Li Tien (or Dian)

Join the BISM!

Xanaroth

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 01:38:20 am »
euhm... walking arround swamps? looks like you are referring to leechers, in that case the cure would be to hold something hot near them and they would just let go.

Axsyrus

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2004, 07:56:20 pm »
yes, and leechers are parasites.. what\'s your point :P

Anyways, I think parasites would definatly be an UNIQUE idea, I don\'t think I\'ve ever seen it in any game before, but that\'s probably because parasites are just really disgusting :rolleyes:

The dark way of magic includes stuff like plagues and diseases, so parasites could be a great way to spread these. I really only see this as a big addition to the AI though(plague AI?) as I don\'t think just a parasite can do that much harm, but the disease he brings with him will.

Axsyrus the Azure - Ruler of the Winds
Member of The Arcane Order\'s Council

DepthBlade

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2004, 08:38:32 pm »
Its a good idea but I\'d rather not have parasites in-game, I don\'t want my character being sick well I am fighting or working on something! Then again it is roleplay so anything like this can be expected!

ParaSite

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Ancient
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2004, 06:51:19 am »
Mind you that parasites are protected animals :)
<Worf> These are the moments when my ego gets put back on the ground. I use linux for quite some time, and am soon 2 years maintainer of a linux distribution. I started to think I would be good at it. But then I tried to get planeshift running.

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2004, 08:14:52 am »
Nice to see you still around, ParaSite. :)

I think this idea is interesting, but not something I\'d like to see in the game. It could unecessarily complicate the gameplay. I\'m all for deseases and illness, but I think parasites is taking the detail a little too far and would be too difficult to implement.

ParaSite

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Ancient
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2004, 11:23:30 am »
Just reading :) Axsyrus pointed out this thread on IRC. About the idea, i\'d rather see a extra dungeon in the game, then these kind of details. About the illnesses, it\'s certainly realistic, but is it fun? Does it add any gameplay? Realism is fun and all, but when your in the middle of a dungeon and suddenly see ur strength drop 50% due to some virus, I don\'t think you still appreciate it 8).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 11:24:21 am by ParaSite »
<Worf> These are the moments when my ego gets put back on the ground. I use linux for quite some time, and am soon 2 years maintainer of a linux distribution. I started to think I would be good at it. But then I tried to get planeshift running.

Xanaroth

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2004, 11:28:46 am »
i\'m thinking the same, tough the idea of somekind of terrible plague that will come sometimes to give healers something more to do sounds interesting, and it would also bring up an extra challenge.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 11:29:24 am by Xanaroth »