Author Topic: The everlasting newbie discussion  (Read 1014 times)

Kiva

• Veteran
    • View Profile
The everlasting newbie discussion
« on: April 04, 2004, 09:26:21 pm »
I\'m curious... Everyone these days seem to call people newbie, n00b, you know the rest. Why? What is it about this word that make people use it against others instead of just plainly giving them the finger or saying a bad word? Is n00b actually just masking, or a young and troubled mind trying to get it\'s meaning out by saying a word it doesn\'t understand, but thinks is cool because others say it?

I want to hear your oppinion about the word \"n00b/newbie\", not your oppinion about what others think the word means.

(If you flame, you\'re a n00b.) ;)

Personally, I think it\'s this one: \"a young and troubled mind trying to get it\'s meaning out by saying a word it doesn\'t understand, but thinks is cool because others say it?\"

[Edit : Aliathi bless my spelling... Gods, it\'s awful.] >_<
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 09:28:22 pm by Kiva »
\"Somewhere over the rainbow...\"

AendarCallenlasse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 09:30:00 pm »
Well I\'ve stated this before many times in previous threads but here goes another.  A noob/newbie is an offensive and or annoying player that comes to the game expecting everyone to tell him what to do and become his personal guide to Planeshift.

I have no respect for those kinds of players.  They continually annoy people in-game by repeating questions even after other players will actually give them the exact link that will solve all of their problems.

Those are the n00bs.

But if you come here and are respectful of other people and show some intelligence then to me you are simply a new player to PS.  I don\'t hate new players.  If you respect us, we will respect you.  That\'s my philosophy.

Edit:  And if I wasn\'t falling asleep at my keyboard I\'d have read your post a little more closely.  As far as why I use that exact word...well it\'s so overused these days that everyone associates it with a degoratory statement.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2004, 09:31:35 pm by AendarCallenlasse »

Only n00bs don't quote themselves...
<Aendar>...

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 10:49:01 pm »
newbie = inexperienced user of something (in PS new guy in community)
noob = annoying version of the above
AKA Skald

Ghost of Link

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 11:56:44 pm »
Most of the time when \"n00b\" is used, it\'s because it makes the sayer feel higher then the other person. Annoying people are to be delt with in other ways, not by insulting them with a word from the vocabulary of moron.
All hail Vengeance and Link, friends forever.

Grakrim

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 11:58:31 pm »
I\'m not sure I get your point entirely, so please, correct me if I mistake...

In my mind, one should not use words one does not understand to all extents, let alone such a word merely because its fashionable to do so; its a mockery to the beautiful language in which communicate...  But the term \"n00b\" doesn\'t merely apply to one\'s English usage (\"1337-speak\" being the most obvious personification); no, I use the term \"n00b\" to define someone who is actively obnoxious, annoying, and/or harassing.  Strangly (or perhaps not), those \"1337-speakers\" tend to fill this role exclusively, and therefore, \"n00b\" is a convieniant label.

Interestingly, in my long online gaming career, the term \"newb\" seems to be more offensive than any other.  So this is generally retired from my vocabulary, especially when interacting with a newbie.

On another note, I believe I may have been the one to introduce Draklar to the term; wheter this was a Good Thing, or a Bad Thing, I\'m uncertain... :P
\" I think you should just follow Grakrim\'s advice ;)\"

\"A universe is enough for more than one opinion.\" - Maxximus

DepthBlade

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2004, 12:03:28 am »
Ok until it gets put in the dictionary I won\'t use that word because I feel the people saying it are the real noobs! Oh my bad i just said it but atleast I stated who the real NOOBS are!

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 12:05:17 am »
introduced me to wha? :P
Anyway, there\'s also new term used in Planeshift for the \'n00bs\' - they\'re sometimes called \'trolls\' :P
and if someone is even above that, it\'s
Whemy the second, the third... and so on ;)

Depthblade: terms newb, noob and n00b are in some online dictionary already ;)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 12:05:56 am by Draklar »
AKA Skald

Grakrim

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 12:21:43 am »
Originally posted by Draklar
introduced me to wha? :P

Ah, maybe I was mistaken when I had to define the word for you long ago :P

Originally posted by Depthblade
Ok until it gets put in the dictionary I won\'t use that word because I feel the people saying it are the real noobs! Oh my bad i just said it but atleast I stated who the real NOOBS are!

Dictionaries are notoriously behind the coverage of slang, or any sort of phrase used by an individual community, let alone as recent and relatively small as the Internet gaming community.
Its merely a conflict of opinion, but neither one is any more or less valid; that\'s what makes it opinion, after all.  Its just my thought that those who treat others poorly must be humiliated and insulted themselves, for the good of us all.
\" I think you should just follow Grakrim\'s advice ;)\"

\"A universe is enough for more than one opinion.\" - Maxximus

DepthBlade

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 01:38:31 am »
Well I won\'t try and change anyones way of thinking, thats not how I am...If you want to go by these ways of doing things thats fine each to his own!

@Draklar - A online dictionary hardly counts as a reliable dictionary, I prefer something more solid and made of paper :D

Ghost of Link

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 02:27:46 am »
The term \"n00b\" IS \"1337 speak\" it is nothign more. It was started by them to insult people below them to make them feel better. \"Newbie\" isn\'t that great either, it makes them feel inferior. Perhaps you should not judge people because they have been here for less time then you. There is always someone who has been here longer then your and they can treat you the same way.
All hail Vengeance and Link, friends forever.

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 08:30:01 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N00b
there, newbie can be a positive naming as well...
of course there are always people with their own deffinitions for stuff, who will disagree.
AKA Skald

Monketh

• Veteran
  • aka GovernmentAgent, CorporateAgent
    • View Profile
    • Niihama.ws
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 02:19:50 pm »
I personally use the term \"N00b\" to refer to annoying people.  You know, the kind that show up on the weekend after playing fps\'s all day and expect to get the respect for something we don\'t know or care about.

A \"newbie\" is a normal new member of the community, if you\'re a newbie and not a n00b, you aren\'t a newbie for long.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 02:20:20 pm by Monketh »
The key to manipulative bargaining is to ask for something twice as big as what you want, then smile and nod when you are talked down to your original wish. You are still young, my apprentice, and have much to learn in the ways of the force. -UtM

Kiva

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 07:13:20 pm »
Interesting... So many diffrent oppinions that still in some way are the same. But I still don\'t understand why some people who are n00bs themselves use the term n00b about others. It\'s a mystery. They\'re all n00bs. :P
\"Somewhere over the rainbow...\"

Xalthar

• Forum Addict
  • Tisfjæsing.
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2004, 08:47:31 pm »
Originally posted by Gronomist
 But I still don\'t understand why some people who are n00bs themselves use the term n00b about others. It\'s a mystery.

actually, it\'s not a mystery... they are just n00bs... n00bs think everyone else but themselves are n00bs, and thus they make themselves even more n00b.

Caldazar

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2004, 02:57:43 am »
Xalthar summed it up pretty good.
Newbie is a beginner, n00b is a 1337 newbie.
Browsing the forums when I\'m bored, nothing more.