Author Topic: I'm leaving  (Read 6685 times)

Cirque

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2004, 01:06:39 am »
Some would argue that skill comes from knowledge.

dfryer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2004, 01:36:29 am »
\"skill\" at a particular task comes from many things.  Knowledge is essential for some, experience often more so, sometimes innate personality characteristics are what determines skill.

kronon, asserting your level of skill here will not help much unless you have some tangible evidence.  I must say that my first impression of your first post was that you were in over your head;  I don\'t know if that was the case or not, but PS and CS are both complicated projects, and the lack of description of the interaction of the various classes and subsystems makes discovery a little more difficult.  That said, I spent some time over the last few days looking all over the planeshift codebase, and while I saw some small-scale wierdness (like using a flag called \"soundplaying\" to determine the load progress, or something less than intuitive like that) most of it wasn\'t too hard to get my head around.

I would agree that more structural documentation for PS would be convenient, but I believe your criticism has not been particularly well thought out or well-argued.  A more moderate approach might attract less hostility.

As for Crystal Space not being as fast as UT, CS is a framework with many different applications in mind.  There are a lot of interfaces to learn- do you have any tips as to how they can be documented in a more approachable manner?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

tygerwilde

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2004, 07:20:24 am »
not true cirque.
think about this, ancient blacksmiths knew nothing about metallurgy nor the elements, yet in toledo and madagascar, with enough experience they learned to create the strongest steels known the world over. and science has yet to improve it over the steel made in those regions.

skill comes from experience, not knowledge. there is no action in this world that can be read about and done flawlessly without reference the first time.
we are the music-makers, we are the dreamers of dreams - Gene Wilder as willy wonka

Johnny Depp\'s a poser to the throne. No one will ever play the part as well as Gene Wilder

Cirque

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2004, 12:21:28 pm »
\"Some would argue that skill comes from knowledge.\"

So its not true that some would argue this?

Also think about how knowledge could fit in with your little story.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 12:27:35 pm by Cirque »

cmhitman

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2004, 02:46:49 pm »
...and so it gets philosophical.
I think skill comes from two places: Training and natural abillity.
tygerwilde

couldn\'t you gather that the brute force process of test and failure is a form of knowledge aquisition and although they hadn\'t a wider scope of there actions they had knowledge enough to search for substance with the right properties to make these hard metals.
and information put to use properly is exercising wise dominion aka wisdom. wisdom is information put to good use.
Training a skill is one thing. Exercising wise dominion is another, one could argue that planeshift is a skilled project...but not a wise one. In that its living up to its purpose but hasn\'t lived up to its potential just yet.
Its nature of being a free open sourced project is always a duel bladed sword of hope and Dimness in all aspects: quality of client and development tactics.
but heck, its free and as long as it has programmers can get better.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 03:09:01 pm by cmhitman »
PROUD [SOLE]    HITMAN CLAN WILL RISE AGAIN!      

tygerwilde

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2004, 04:19:53 pm »
what I meant is that it\'s not true that skill comes from knowledge.

you could read a thousand books about painting or drawing, but that doesn\'t mean you would have any ability with a brush. I will concede to the point about natural ability. but knowledge is no substitute for experience.
we are the music-makers, we are the dreamers of dreams - Gene Wilder as willy wonka

Johnny Depp\'s a poser to the throne. No one will ever play the part as well as Gene Wilder

cmhitman

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2004, 07:16:46 pm »
oh yeah....well check this out
no skill yet husstle
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 07:20:19 pm by cmhitman »

Cirque

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2004, 12:17:21 am »
Originally posted by tygerwilde
what I meant is that it\'s not true that skill comes from knowledge.

you could read a thousand books about painting or drawing, but that doesn\'t mean you would have any ability with a brush. I will concede to the point about natural ability. but knowledge is no substitute for experience.

So if I read 1000 books on artistry then the quality of the work I produce would be no better than the work I produce had I not read the books?

CorDharel

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2004, 05:13:38 am »
The quality would be better. But you would not have any experience. IMO You would end up like this guy:

:D ;)

But are we not losing the point of discussion? The thread was about the \"bad code of planeshift\"...

Cirque

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2004, 10:44:37 am »
\"But are we not losing the point of discussion? The thread was about the \"bad code of planeshift\"...\"

1st sentence is a bit hypocritical considering you posted a picture of a hobo.

tygerwilde

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2004, 11:50:36 am »
no, reading books doesn\'t help at all in the arts, art is about what\'s inside your heart not what\'s inside your head.

the only thing that a book helps with is how to hold the brush. and there are many different opinions on how THAT is done.

Cirque

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2004, 12:05:03 pm »
Originally posted by tygerwilde

no, reading books doesn\'t help at all in the arts, art is about what\'s inside your heart not what\'s inside your head.

Ahh thankyou.

bbum

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2004, 08:53:07 pm »
-The first time I had an asignment and I whas late, I got the reply that it whasn\'t a problem and could send it any time a year( or next year if I wanted). That made me wonder how other programmers dealt with this.

programmers are lucky .. boonet dropped me from prospect status because my first assignment was late :D
« Last Edit: May 06, 2004, 09:41:31 pm by bbum »

cmhitman

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2004, 10:10:11 am »
I wish i was a programmer...creatively it seems like the ultimate power from a technical stand point but it takes too much...

too much...

hmm...

Work!

yeah thats the word so I\'m gonna just continue on my writters path. I\'m doing a spoken word show at school in this club that I helped create.
But anyway man. Arguing isn\'y sovling anything. some one should do somethin useful like.

Levski

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2004, 03:35:36 pm »
I am  :D

I\'m learning C++ as fast as my time allows me to  8)
Ingame name:  Nuv Cerdyn  ~   Member of: The Blitzers Guild