Author Topic: forum request  (Read 751 times)

difficult

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
forum request
« on: May 04, 2004, 08:19:38 pm »
There are many of us out here with programming and modeling experience who are willing to help.  The only problem is that we are not sure we can devote the time needed for membership.

For this reason, I was wondering if you could create a forum for \"Developer Requests\" -- a place for only developers to create threads asking for help with specific instructions.

Every day a person makes new fan art or designs a new city layout.  Why not direct these energies to helping with PS?  They don\'t have to be major tasks, just simple ones that you devs shouldn\'t have to worry about.
I am available to help PS.  I feel that it has real potential.

AendarCallenlasse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2004, 08:23:06 pm »
Well that\'s what the LWW was created for.  I don\'t have a link to it at the moment but the site is used for submitting player created models, art, textures, etc.  Then when the Devs have time they go through and look at all the stuff and decide if they like any of it.

Only n00bs don't quote themselves...
<Aendar>...

jonmack

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 07:42:29 am »
Laanx Wheel of Wishes

---

I think he meant where Devs ask for specific things. Say they need a few more house models, they could ask for people to make more of them next. Whereas LWW is more of a \"submit what you want/have\" rather than \"submit what is needed\". Although LWW is still an excellent idea, with an great place for the Devs to quickly get something, it would be nice to get some feedback from the Devs into what they are short on.
jonmack

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 01:48:48 pm »
Originally posted by difficult
There are many of us out here with programming and modeling experience who are willing to help.  The only problem is that we are not sure we can devote the time needed for membership.

For this reason, I was wondering if you could create a forum for \"Developer Requests\" -- a place for only developers to create threads asking for help with specific instructions.

Every day a person makes new fan art or designs a new city layout.  Why not direct these energies to helping with PS?  They don\'t have to be major tasks, just simple ones that you devs shouldn\'t have to worry about.

I think the main reason why they can\'t do this is because of the artwork liscence thingy; anything the devs use in the game must be submitted under the GPL (is it GPL or GPU?) liscence which gives them full ownership of the work.

Also they need this stuff to be of a high standard... imagine if every teen here who thinks they\'re great at modelling decided to respond to the threads and submit their crappy models. :P It\'d be chaos...

Edit: No offense to anyone btw, just saying it needs to be high quality, and you can imagine how eager everyone would be if they equally had a chance to show the devs what they can do.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 01:49:57 pm by Moogie »

lynx_lupo

• Veteran
  • Sorbus aria!
    • View Profile
    • Linux pri nas
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2004, 03:47:01 pm »
Originally posted by Mogura
I think the main reason why they can\'t do this is because of the artwork liscence thingy; anything the devs use in the game must be submitted under the GPL (is it GPL or GPU?) liscence which gives them full ownership of the work.

iiik!!
GPL means totally free and accessible(...). PS uses the PS(duh) license. Anything in that category can be used solely for PS, the author almost renounces his right to the art.
"Amor sceleratus habendi"- Ovid
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you eat them." -Godzilla

difficult

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 02:44:10 pm »
The difference between LWW and my request is that the LWW is for unsolicited works whereas I am asking for the devs to solicit.

Originally posted by Mogura
Also they need this stuff to be of a high standard... imagine if every teen here who thinks they\'re great at modelling decided to respond to the threads and submit their crappy models. :P It\'d be chaos...

The license is not the issue.  You are right that some \"teens\" or other inexperienced developers might submit to this forum, but remember
a) that\'s the whole point of PlaneShift -- open community development.  Everyone deserves a shot to participate.
b) even limited, low-quality *fill_in_item_here* has its place.  The devs might not be able to use the files, but they might be able to use the ideas.  Creativity is a resource, too.  We need to draw as much of it from the community as we can.
I am available to help PS.  I feel that it has real potential.

lynx_lupo

• Veteran
  • Sorbus aria!
    • View Profile
    • Linux pri nas
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 04:25:17 pm »
Everybody has a chance to participate. Just the devs don\'t have time/will to filter all the stuff out. That\'s why LWW was created, to help in that part. Stuff submitted there isn\'t under any license(unless specified) - if it\'d get approved by the Dev team, it would have to fulfill the PS license terms and would get \"under\" it.
"Amor sceleratus habendi"- Ovid
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you eat them." -Godzilla

Xordan

• Crystal Space Developer
  • Forum Addict
  • For God and the Empire
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2004, 06:08:54 pm »
If a person really thinks he\'s/she\'s good enough to have their stuff used, then they can just contact a dev and ask for a little task to do.