Author Topic: Bolding up the Newbie Forum  (Read 1100 times)

SaintNuclear

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Bolding up the Newbie Forum
« on: May 06, 2004, 02:27:06 pm »
From some reason, it seems that newbies always miss the Newbie Forum and ask questions like \"how do I install after I ran the run_me_first.bat?\" \"how do I start PS after I double clicked psclient.exe?\" \"how do I connect after I clicked the big button that says Quit?\" in the General Forum.

I think that the Newbie Forum should be in the top of the list, bolded, with two huge flashing arrows pointing at it from each side.
September 23rd, 2004 19:52:38 UTC
<+Grakrim> I have a legal copy of Windows XP Pro.

October 19th, 2004 24:43:02 UTC
I have copies of [Windows] 3.1, 3.11, 95, and 98, too. Not to mention various versions of MS-DOS

Ineluke

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 03:21:54 pm »
In defence of the newbes some of those post lists can be a bit overwhelming especially if you  dont hav it to show the most recent threads. Maybe we should default the sorting in a way that makes these threads easy to find...
\"When I said, \'death before dishonor,\' I meant alphabetically.\"
-- Exsam

\"Anyway, back to the game.\"
::keeps talking::
\"Uh, guys?\"
::keeps talking::
\"Pi is exactly 3!\"
[complete silence]
\"I\'m sorry it had to come to that, folks.\"

SaintNuclear

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 03:41:28 pm »
Originally posted by Ineluke
In defence of the newbes some of those post lists can be a bit overwhelming especially if you  dont hav it to show the most recent threads. Maybe we should default the sorting in a way that makes these threads easy to find...

Maybe, but it still doesn\'t explain why they post questions that are obviously newbish in the General Forum and not the Newbie Forum. Even if these threads are hard to find, they should post these questions in the Newbie Forum, wich is for newbish questions, and not in the General Forum, wich is for stuff that don\'t have a forum for.

I have copies of [Windows] 3.1, 3.11, 95, and 98, too. Not to mention various versions of MS-DOS

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 05:31:03 pm »
Saint: Out of the hundreds of people who visit the forums each week, and the many new players who stop by to read up and find information here, only a handful post stupid questions.

Out of that handful, 50% are people who have hardly ever used a forum

The other 50% of them are less than 14 years old.

I think we should consider ourselves lucky that we\'re not even more flooded by people who are too ignorant or lazy to read for themselves. :) You just have to accept that there will always be these kinds of people, that they represent a minority, and that we can be thankful that most of them leave after a day and never come back.

lynx_lupo

• Veteran
  • Sorbus aria!
    • View Profile
    • Linux pri nas
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 02:28:08 am »
One thing is the naming. General Forum relays to me that it\'s for general stuff, so anything could go in there(whi reads the minitext!?) justified.

So I suggest it be renamed Discussion Forum or something similar...
"Amor sceleratus habendi"- Ovid
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you eat them." -Godzilla

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 02:48:03 am »
Renaming \"General\" to \"Discussion\" isn\'t going to stop people posting their questions there, lynx. :)

lynx_lupo

• Veteran
  • Sorbus aria!
    • View Profile
    • Linux pri nas
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 09:45:13 am »
No, nothing mild would. But it would reduce it a little(especially with an even more specific name).
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you eat them." -Godzilla

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 10:16:05 am »
Well, afaic, they\'re little more than a general annoyance- one that you can easily avoid by simply not reading their posts. If they can\'t see the difference between \"Newbie/Technical Help\" and \"General Forum\", I don\'t think it would make any difference no matter what you changed the name to.

I think the best thing you can do is just not answer them. :) They\'ll get tired of waiting for a reply and automatically start searching for their own answers.

Taldor

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Tinker (traveling merchant)
    • View Profile
    • Bloodclaw
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 10:35:39 am »
Maybe you can set the newbie forum as the first subforum, even before the general discussion. Or change the name form \'Newbie Forum\' to \'NEWBIE Forum\'.

Talad

• Administrator
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 10:40:44 am »
The idea is a good one.

I\'ve moved the Newbie forum to the top and renamed to \"Newbie Help (Start Here)\".

Moogie

• Forum Legend
  • Artist/Flash Animator
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 11:14:21 am »
*shrugs* Fair enough then. :) But we\'ll have exactly the same number of stupid questions... just all asked in the Newbie Help forum.

...Where I always moved them in the first place...

lynx_lupo

• Veteran
  • Sorbus aria!
    • View Profile
    • Linux pri nas
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 11:31:37 am »
Sounds like you don\'t like it!  :D
Don\'t worry, there\'s plenty work for you left.  :(

SaintNuclear

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2004, 02:22:40 pm »
Originally posted by Mogura
just all asked in the Newbie Help forum.

This was the whole point.

DepthBlade

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2004, 11:26:02 pm »
Actually moving that newbie forum is rather annoying to some, that are use to the top being general discussion! Keep forgetting the move!

Levski

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2004, 01:45:47 am »
Originally posted by Mogura
*shrugs* Fair enough then. :) But we\'ll have exactly the same number of stupid questions... just all asked in the Newbie Help forum.

...Where I always moved them in the first place...

Just less work for you Moogie :).

Ack..... it will get some getting used to, however.
Ingame name:  Nuv Cerdyn  ~   Member of: The Blitzers Guild