Author Topic: Serious comp problems  (Read 422 times)

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Serious comp problems
« on: May 20, 2004, 11:55:15 pm »
Well yea, topic says it all. And no I\'m not dead, and I did not get run over. I\'m fine, and flattered that anyone would actually worry :P But yea I am having major comp problems. I am lucky to even be on the internet. Chances are I will have to reformat my hard drive. The awards WILL be announced, eventually. And I hope that everyone accepts my sincerest appologies for not being able to be online on sunday.

the problem is i cant run anything. and i mean ANYTHING. IE is probably the only program i can run. i have talked to tech support and they think i need to reformat...for me, reformating can take like, up to a week depending on how many problems i run into.

Since my internet is magically working now I will be around until I reformat. But I am going to try to find another way to fix these problems.

Why did I make a seperate thread about this, you ask? Because I am an important person, like it or not :P
« Last Edit: May 20, 2004, 11:56:05 pm by Princess Aelya »
We are a guild that strives for glory,we strive for power,we strive for domination.Visit us here--> Dark Empire  \"Oloth vaq\' dos!\"

Sig removed because it was to big...I\'ll put it back when I get it resized.

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2004, 12:15:49 am »
cheers! Good to have you back, princess :))
AKA Skald

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2004, 12:41:11 am »
Eh, don\'t go celebrating. I may very well dissapear for another week :P But rest assured I\'ll not stay away forever. I wouldnt give certain people the pleasure ;)
We are a guild that strives for glory,we strive for power,we strive for domination.Visit us here--> Dark Empire  \"Oloth vaq\' dos!\"

dfryer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2004, 01:30:48 am »
What is the cause of the problem?  Severe virusization?  Or just random suckage?  Damaged OS install?

Reformatting is a \"hit the problem with the biggest hammer there is\" solution...
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

dorbian

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Yeah no not for me that is...
    • View Profile
    • Mindless Insanity
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2004, 04:37:05 am »
If you have Windows goto RUN and type regedit

then goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Microsoft --> Windows -->Currentversion --> Run

Check what\'s under there, there might be some unknown applications that start up with the machine that could cause these problems, if regedit doesn\'t start at all i\'d go for the reformat situation, because regedit is one of the programs that should always run.

all the damage you can do in that part of the registry is disabling some program\'s that boot up with the computer to boot up, you can\'t do any serious damage to windows ( well i cleared it once and i had no problems so i guess it can\'t do any damage except for being a pain in the ass )
« Last Edit: May 21, 2004, 04:37:45 am by dorbian »

Uyaem

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2004, 04:49:48 am »
Originally posted by dorbian
If you have Windows goto RUN and type regedit

then goto HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Microsoft --> Windows -->Currentversion --> Run

Check what\'s under there, there might be some unknown applications that start up with the machine that could cause these problems, if regedit doesn\'t start at all i\'d go for the reformat situation, because regedit is one of the programs that should always run.

all the damage you can do in that part of the registry is disabling some program\'s that boot up with the computer to boot up, you can\'t do any serious damage to windows ( well i cleared it once and i had no problems so i guess it can\'t do any damage except for being a pain in the ass )

If you follow dorbian\'s advice while having booted win in \"safe mode\", none of the applications in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> Microsoft --> Windows -->Currentversion --> Run are loaded, which should ease things IF the thing messing up your comp is really in there :)
The internet is "the terrorists'" most important weapon, they say.
Wrong.
Fear is their most important weapon.
Ours is our freedom.

dorbian

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Yeah no not for me that is...
    • View Profile
    • Mindless Insanity
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2004, 04:54:58 am »
well not all actually but you are right, some of the applications do run in safe mode, and well you can\'t mess them up since they are allready booted but still you are right, safe mode is a better solution and then the registery thingy

Kada-El

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2004, 06:49:49 am »
Sorry to hear you\'re having problems, and it\'s good to hear that nothing too terrible has befallen you!
Originally posted by Princess Aelya
Because I am an important person, like it or not :P

Not sure I can offer much in the way of tech help, but you might want to check the size of your ego, it may have become too big for your hard drive :P

DepthBlade

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2004, 10:06:25 am »
*hands Princess Aelya a sludge hammer, show that computer what your working with!* ;)

Welcome back!

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2004, 10:14:15 am »
Originally posted by Kada-El
Sorry to hear you\'re having problems, and it\'s good to hear that nothing too terrible has befallen you!
Originally posted by Princess Aelya
Because I am an important person, like it or not :P

Not sure I can offer much in the way of tech help, but you might want to check the size of your ego, it may have become too big for your hard drive :P

Maybe aendar is rubbing off on me :P

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2004, 08:42:42 pm »
Ok well I fixed all my comp problems. Thanks to those who offered possible solutions :) And thanks to those who were concerned ;) I\'ll see about arranging a new time to announce awards...