Author Topic: nasty stuff  (Read 948 times)

tygerwilde

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
nasty stuff
« on: May 25, 2004, 02:35:11 pm »
I\'ve been having trouble with my athsma lately. I mean, hacking fits that leave me floored on a regular basis. recently my wife finds an article in one of her magazines that said the chemicals in coffee help to loosen the fungus from the inner walls of your lungs, so she decided I need to start drinking coffee. I don\'t like the flavor, never have, never will. but I can drink cappuccino every now and again. so she buys me this cappuccino mix and makes me a cup. it\'s really strong stuff, more like black coffee than cappucicno.

I\'ve tried mixing it with milk, chocolate syrup, the works, no matter how weak the mix is, it still has that strong coffee aftertaste that I hate... and it\'s already staining my teeth yellow. I\'m proud of my smile, I have perfectly aligned teeth naturally and I\'d like to keep them white if I can. I don\'t want to drink any more of the stuff, but I don\'t want my wife to worry either. the thing is, it really is allowing me to cough up the phlegm that clogs my lungs.....

does anyone have a solution that doesn\'t involve destroying the worlds coffee industry???
we are the music-makers, we are the dreamers of dreams - Gene Wilder as willy wonka

Johnny Depp\'s a poser to the throne. No one will ever play the part as well as Gene Wilder

dfryer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 02:47:40 pm »
Smoke it! Whooo!  I believe caffiene-like substances are often used in expectorants, so if it\'s just the caffeine you need then there are pills that can help you.

I personally like coffee, so it\'s a bit hard to give advice-  I guess you could either go the \"dilute it until you can\'t taste it route\" (which seems to have failed) or \"make it really freaking concentrated so you don\'t have to taste it much\" approach.  Perhaps instant coffee powder surrounded by something edible, so you can just swallow it?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

SaintNuclear

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 03:08:47 pm »
Well, if it\'s only the caffeine that you need, you can find tons of stuff here (you might want to try the gel or soap, that way you don\'t have to taste the caffeine ;) ).

If it\'s not the caffeine, you might want to try pouring a few spoons of sugar in the coffee.
First time I tasted coffee, it was yuck, so I added sugar until I liked the taste. The sugar to coffee ratio was probebly something like 7:1 :rolleyes:
So I decided not to drink coffee again.

But then your teeth will be in an even worse shape...

I don\'t know much about asthma, but shouldn\'t you have some kind of an aerosol medicine thing to make things better?
September 23rd, 2004 19:52:38 UTC
<+Grakrim> I have a legal copy of Windows XP Pro.

October 19th, 2004 24:43:02 UTC
I have copies of [Windows] 3.1, 3.11, 95, and 98, too. Not to mention various versions of MS-DOS

Ineluke

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 03:09:10 pm »
Um I guess you could always not use coffee.
I think I remember somthing about whiskey or liquor in a spray bottle and use like throat spray. But that may or may not work...
It works for a cold and a sore throat but maybe not asthma
\"When I said, \'death before dishonor,\' I meant alphabetically.\"
-- Exsam

\"Anyway, back to the game.\"
::keeps talking::
\"Uh, guys?\"
::keeps talking::
\"Pi is exactly 3!\"
[complete silence]
\"I\'m sorry it had to come to that, folks.\"

tygerwilde

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 03:16:05 pm »
I don\'t really know what it is in coffee that does this, I\'ve tried liquid expectorants, but they didn\'t work, I\'ve tried just about every inhalant known to man, but they just don\'t do anything for me. I\'ve been athsmatic since I was 8, I don\'t really know why this is so bad right now, but it is.

if it\'s the caffiene, why doesnt coke help, I used to drink that by the liter, but it never helped any.
we are the music-makers, we are the dreamers of dreams - Gene Wilder as willy wonka

Johnny Depp\'s a poser to the throne. No one will ever play the part as well as Gene Wilder

dfryer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2004, 03:41:19 pm »
It may not be the caffeine then.  Perhaps it\'s your bodies revulsion to coffee that causes you to hack up phlegm :)  Coffee has a lot of other things than caffeine in it... I\'m assuming tea doesn\'t work?

I\'d give the non-decaf instant coffee route a try, if you can manage to get a few spoonfuls of that in you.  Wouldn\'t recommend it on an empty stomach though.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

SaintNuclear

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2004, 04:30:03 pm »
Originally posted by tygerwilde
if it\'s the caffiene, why doesnt coke help, I used to drink that by the liter, but it never helped any.

Maybe the severe asthma attacks started after you stopped drinking so much coke?

I\'d give the non-decaf instant coffee route a try, if you can manage to get a few spoonfuls of that in you. Wouldn\'t recommend it on an empty stomach though.

You can make it easier on your stomach.
Mix a few spoons of thin-grounded coffee beans with a few spoons of sugar (a bit more sugar than coffee).
It works great with cocoa.

This is more or less the same:
Buy coffee beans, melt sugar, coat each bean with sugar, let it cool to room temp, and eat! Coffee bean snacks :D
September 23rd, 2004 19:52:38 UTC
<+Grakrim> I have a legal copy of Windows XP Pro.

October 19th, 2004 24:43:02 UTC
I have copies of [Windows] 3.1, 3.11, 95, and 98, too. Not to mention various versions of MS-DOS

rumblebelly

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2004, 06:52:04 pm »
i dont know where you are from but i live in canda land of the chest cold and i found this stuff called nature\'s best it\'s a natural cough syrup with hardly ant taste at all when i get a chest cold it usually stick\'s with me for a long time then one day this little elderly lady at the pharmacy convinced me to try this stuff she also told me that it work\'s great for asthma sufferer\'s . it was kind of expensive (small bottle for 12 buck\'s canadian) but i decided to give it a try ...if i didn\'t experience it myself i would not have believed the result\'s in two day\'s after drinking the whole bottle my chest infection was gone now ever since then i allway\'s keep a bottle of the stuff around and i haven\'t had a chest infection last longer than three day\'s compared with the three week\'s that i usually have them (i had pnumonia when i was young hence the chest cold\'s ) it clean\'s the lung\'s right out like i used a brush or something  :D
if man didn't take chance's the moon would still be made of cheese  8)

Kuiper7986

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2004, 07:08:42 pm »
I have asthma also, and yes coffee doesnt work. But have you tried using Advair? I use it and I go without symptoms for almost a whole day, sometimes 2 days if I\'m not doing jack squat. If you get advair get the 250mg/100 the 150mg/100 is too weak. Only if you have serious asthma. 150 should be okay for lite asthma, I use 150mg.

Also rosemary \"the herb\" helps asthma. I saw it on Good Eats on Food Network.

edit: Advair uses powder instead of misty fluid like a regular inhaler. Also Advair has steroids to help for the asthma, so when you use it, you might have a slightly weakened immune system.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 07:14:00 pm by Kuiper7986 »
My name is NOT pronounced, \"Kway-per,\" it\'s pronounced \"Kye-per.\"

DepthBlade

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2004, 08:09:27 pm »
yah the solution is suck it up and go to the doctor that actually help you and not drink coffee because coffee was produced by the devil as well was pokemon,barney, richard simons, care bears, the disney channel and lastly Rosie\'O\'Donnell!....thats all i have to say about that

Ghostslayer

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2004, 08:32:38 pm »
recently my wife finds an article in one of her magazines that said the chemicals in coffee help to loosen the fungus from the inner walls of your lungs, so she decided I need to start drinking coffee.

Is the article really vague and just says \"coffee will help you out\" sorta thing or does it actually mention the chemicals?  If it does, just post the names, I\'m sure we could figure out something better than coffee that you could use.

(Never liked the taste of coffee myself :D)

But yea... like others have said, there are some alternatives, to make your coffee taste \"different\" (not necessarily good :P)  Anyhow, I know of people who eat chocolate covered coffee beans, and the like.
Blitzers Guild
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.

tygerwilde

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2004, 09:30:23 pm »
it was one of her good housekeeping magazines. it had a list of common household remedies, and she said it had a scientific explaination for each of its remedies, but she doesn\'t have the mag anymore.

honestly, I think I\'m just going to quit drinking it, and try out a few of these suggestions. I can\'t stand that bitter aftertaste anymore.

Vengeance

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2004, 11:19:53 pm »
I feel your pain.  I hate coffee too.

Socrates Demise

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2004, 11:48:20 pm »
According to this article It\'s only the caffeine that you need so anything from this place (originally posted by SaintNuclear) should help.

Edit: There are plenty of other fun ways to avopid the doctor here.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 11:52:45 pm by Socrates Demise »

AendarCallenlasse

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2004, 11:49:36 pm »
White Chocolate Mocha.
I don\'t drink coffee either, but the White Chocolate Mocha from starbucks is close to divine.
Try it.

Only n00bs don't quote themselves...
<Aendar>...