Author Topic: Imbuning Weapons/Armor/Shields  (Read 1395 times)

THAPRINZE

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2004, 10:18:18 am »
nah i dont think u should have that standard..cause then it\'s not that special anymore..

like i said maybe u should be able to buy some colors at a shop..but most u just have to find..and then put them on ur weapon cause then u can say..HAHA look at me im so damn cool cause i have a platinum..blablabla coating.

and the best thing is when a game has a good market system..and then things will get really valuable (cause they are rare)..and then when u have something rare..other ppl saw it on market being sold for like hell of a lot of trias..or whatever.. and then u really get status..from the items u wear.

(is that understandable in my english?)

PS:and these weapon effects are just a must for every rpg in my opinion..cause then a warrior at least has some cool effects instead of only those damn...healers and wizards or whatever
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 10:22:46 am by THAPRINZE »

Zeraph

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
nah
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2004, 10:35:03 am »
I think that having a basic sort of blur/streak to the weapons is good the more impressive ones such as Long Rainbows & Shockwaves would be hard to find. It?s just not that fare that all the spells looks so good & you just see a plain piece of metal or wood waving around....

Spells would usually be the choice graphics wise... I would like to see that changed with Planeshift definitely... I am not saying cut down on spell effects, I?m just saying it would be much nicer to have more effects for weapons then other games like Planeshift? 8)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 10:42:34 am by Zeraph »

CB Characters: Zeph Waterfox & Zeraph Waterfox MB: Zph

THAPRINZE

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2004, 01:43:21 pm »
Yeah, i totally agree that warriors should also have cool effects besides just spells or something (paladin?).

But i think that those effects also should have to give u status..so there should be really rare effects available.  Cause just an effect is fun.. but if everyone always get the same effects its not really special or anything...so also less fun (at least for me)

Zeraph

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Ya, exactly,
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2004, 03:52:18 pm »
From what I got out of it was that only rare weapons got effects, I want all weapons to have effects & like there will be rare spells, there should be rare weapon effects, but definitely lots of weapon graphical effects?.

THAPRINZE

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2004, 05:36:37 pm »
need a reaction of a dev. on this thread... to see if they are thinking the same as us.  Or that we still have to convince them.

Zeraph

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
ya,
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2004, 11:15:09 am »
maybe we can bug them on IRC?
or just wait... I don\'t really want to take them away from CB...

Harwen

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2004, 01:08:08 pm »
I don\'t think having those silly trails would be a good idea, I mean, in terms of graphics it might take more than I would care for in processing power, large lag-inducing spells are one thing, but this sounds just silly.

In real life swords don\'t leave magical rainbow trails behind, maybe a blur of the weapon, sure, why not, but just because this is a \"game\" and not \"real life\" doesn\'t mean every other weapon is going to be magically imbuned to look so fruity whenever you swing it. That\'s just cheesy, apparently nobody got the joke or bothered to read to know what this post is really supposed to be about.

Its a silly effect reserved for action games like Ninja Gaiden (which I have and love), Breed 2 and the new Devil May cry.

Fun magic in fun magic post please :)

THAPRINZE

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2004, 03:16:35 pm »
this isn\'t fun magic...this is very serious :D... but well i persoannly think they reall should do it..because if u can add affects to swords it will be at least a bit more exciting for a lot of people, and if u dont like it..well i dont think u are obligated to look for or buy an effect like this.

+ i allready play an mmorpg that also has such an effect..so for me i know it is a lot more fun with this sort of effect, then just fighting and looking to a little grey stripe moving on my screen.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2004, 03:18:03 pm by THAPRINZE »

Harwen

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2004, 11:51:29 pm »
pssst, this post isn\'t about adding rainbows to sword effects, its about imbuning.... :rolleyes:

sorry, but I just get so pissed when a post of mines goes off topic, oh well...that\'s forums

THAPRINZE

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2004, 08:10:48 am »
well that is actually what it is... u said.  \"...gold gives an gold effect\"...so now we were just talking what kind of effects that would be.

Cause i allready said that imbuniing is a very good idea.
what more would tehre be to discuss about then saying..what would happen if u imbuned a weapon..effects and all.  And with what u should be able to imbune a weapon.

Harwen

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2004, 10:07:58 am »
Originally posted by THAPRINZE
well that is actually what it is... u said.  \"...gold gives an gold effect\"...so now we were just talking what kind of effects that would be.

Cause i allready said that imbuniing is a very good idea.
what more would tehre be to discuss about then saying..what would happen if u imbuned a weapon..effects and all.  And with what u should be able to imbune a weapon.

Yeah, but not some fruity-poopy rainbow effect that would make Dante from DMC not look efeminite. :P

But whatever, I just don\'t want something so silly to be associated with my idea I guess

Zeraph

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2004, 10:43:40 am »
rainbow was an example, what about this:

It would be cool if you could imbune your weapon so that every time you slash with it it opens part of a portal to the death realm so you always see a slit with blackness jetting out for a second or so, & later on you could actually cut big portals so you can travel to the death realm & back @ will?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2004, 10:44:02 am by Zeraph »

THAPRINZE

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2004, 12:26:32 pm »
well i for one ..am for the \"streak?\" effect..and not a rainbow.. but just an effect that fits with the material..u used to imbune.
gold - goldcolour
silver - silver colour
rub - red colour...etc etc.  
doesn necissarily have to be ruby\'s diamonds etc.
But i do think the stuff u can imbune with...some have to be rare..and some..not that much..this example gold is rarer then silver..

and then for the part..that u can put rare items ON ur items and not necisarely?? give an visual effect but an..bonus effect..like faster xp..damage bonus..or whatever bonus..

those are just things that would be cool to me..as im will be a warrior.

dfryer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2004, 03:36:46 pm »
Why do people keep saying \"imbune\"?  Is imbune a word?  What does it possibly mean?  Are we talking about the ability to imbue weapons with particular qualities?

This thread has also turned into a discussion of the merits of rainbows.   I would say that the addition of \"fancy effects\" to weapons isn\'t a \"silly\" idea, in the sense that many self-styled heroes, adventurers, storytellers and assorted other rabble are rather vain and wish to impress.  Adding a little \"flash\" to your sword is like buying some hideously stylish garment - it has real roleplay value, even if it doesn\'t kill anything.  Excess would simply make it cheesy though (i.e. if any weapon had \"magical flashing abilities\"), although perhaps a little motion blur is appropriate if it fits in with planeshift\'s graphical style.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Icefalcon

• Veteran
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2004, 08:32:59 pm »
Yeah, well I said Imbue...

And those little...rainbow trails really dont do anything except make the game look like another boring hack-n-slash game with stupid unneccesary visual effects to try to increase the appeal on the game drawing mainly powerlevelers and noobs who think the game Roxxors because of the graphics.

Edit: Woah, I got a little carried away there...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2004, 08:33:22 pm by Icefalcon »