Author Topic: Now Recruiting  (Read 5147 times)

Liadan

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Since 0.3.020
    • View Profile
Re: Now Recruiting
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2008, 10:38:04 am »
Ah, i was wondering if that would provoke that sort of response.

What I mean by self-advertising is that there are bound to be more questions of "How do I become a GM?" then there is of "How can I join the PR/Music/Art team?" Arguably, the only reason why the GM team is so short of members is because a) the age limit (it's not a bad thing, it just makes your fishing pond a lot smaller),  and b) its a position of authority and to be honest, not everyone wants to be grouped in with the 'evil dictators of PlaneShift' (no offense, but that's how it rolls). So, if you want more applications then the settings team (I really fail to see the thrill of writing quests until your fingers are showing their bones), you might want to work on generating some positive publicity for being a Game Master. Just an idea, really.

Zan, if you can read and write, you can always join the PR team. There's more to developing a game than being able to code or be artistic.  But if you really wish to be part of the GM team go ahead.  If one department loses, another wins.

Phinehas

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2008, 10:44:11 am »
Hmm... I like the "any idiot can be a PR dev" approach... It works.

Also, it seems to me that different departments actively recruiting at cross-purposes is more likely to scare people away due to the insight it gives into the messed up politics of the dev team... I know you conceded that Zan joining any part of the team would be fine, Liadan, but I'm referring to the rest of the thread...

Also, when you use parentheses to delineate your points such as "a), b)," and then also use parentheses within those points, it gets confusing.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2008, 11:41:16 am »
The gm team is welcome to advertise and answer questions here and is fully a team.

The settings team will still welcome highly qualified applicants.

Phinehas please do not discourage anyone from applying it is contrary to the intent of this thread and just not very helpful. Accusations about the politics of the dev team are unfounded and you can have no evidence to support your claims.

Volunteers will find a very welcoming atmosphere, be able to give as much time as they care to, face deadlines that are both hard and soft.

Depending on the needs of a given moment the teams may push people harder or lighter at different times.

There is no set number of hours but I can tell you many people work very hard because they want to make ps better, those are the most ideal candidates obviously. Many prospects still play often, but many others become engrossed in deving because it is very fun to do. I can send some prospects here to give testimonials of the truth of this statement.

The gm team is one of the most structured and policy driven departments due to their role in moderating the game. Event gms are often assigned as such from the outset of their tenure, you just have to convince the powers that be that you are ready to do it.

Settings and the gm team work VERY closely together and both produce events in cooperation.

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2008, 12:05:54 pm »
Don't do it Zan... Don't give up your lovely RP just to become one of "them." I know you have good intentions, but don't let your blind desire to help mislead you... Beware! Bewaaaaaaare!

Don't worry Phin, I'm not planning on giving my RP up ... if I ever join the Devs it'll be because I can RP better and make the RP atmosphere better for others.  :D I'm mainly asking all these questions because I'm curious about them and because I figure they'll give people a better idea of what you're supposed to do as a Dev.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Jeraphon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2008, 12:15:57 pm »
Are they expected to attend meetings? If so, how often? Do they work under 'bosses' or can they pick a preferred area to work on?

I can't speak for all departments, but if you're a starting prospect in settings there are no real meetings. Once you get promoted to wtb, meetings for all departments are once a week for about an hour.

In regards to bosses vs. picking a preferred area, it's a bit of both. Anything you produce will be looked over by your department head, and if your task is big, it may have to pass by Talad's approval as well. There is some wiggle room to choose things you want to work on, especially after you've been a prospect for a while and shown you can produce. In settings, you're usually asked to start by doing a specific task first, then choosing stuff later, especially things that play to your strengths. For art, from what I've seen it's slightly different: there are certain things that are waiting for art. If everyone just picked an area of preference we'd likely have a thousand different swords and little else. :P

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2008, 12:40:51 pm »
For settings some effort is made to ensure all prospects are trained in all aspects BEFORE they find a specialization, this is to ensure that no matter what happens to the hierarchy of the settings team there is redundancy. Other teams are likely to follow this model in the future.

Donari Tyndale

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2008, 12:43:29 pm »
I can only recommend joining the PlaneShift team. I'm a settings prospect now since about three months, and it is the major reason why I hardly am in game. I enjoy it much more then playing, actually. Especially the creative part of it, and the fact that you can actually contribute to help a grand game become even better.

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2008, 05:03:03 pm »
If everyone just picked an area of preference we'd likely have a thousand different swords and little else. :P

Don't forget the Enkidukai .. and probably several other feline creatures will pop up. :P

Anyway, thanks to all for their answers. It's been informative and I hope this thread'll give people a better idea of what to expect when they want to contribute to Planeshift.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Huget

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2008, 09:28:46 pm »
Music definitely needs more people.

So I take it that http://www.planeshift.it/recruitment.html is out of date, where it doesn't state that there are any open positions?

I may be willing to help (in 2 years when I'm 18), depending on what is required. I can play piano, and I can compose, but I don't have the equipment and software needed to produce it.
Chal Secarey
Arcov Nagori

Caarrie

• Forum Addict
  • We want no UNFIXED bugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • PlaneShift3dMods
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2008, 09:34:21 pm »
In many places the main ps website is outdated and the info on the forum is more accurate

Doshot

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2008, 05:04:27 am »
I am also part of the settings team as a prospect, and my experience is one of joy. I agree with Donari, regarding focusing more on settings then Rping, although I try to keep active within my guild. I tend to revert more attention to my tasks within the settings department. As to the time constraints regarding completion of tasks, nothing that you or your team leader can not discuss. We are all here out of choice with real lives and the department leaders are well aware of this, and as such will find a suitable time frame for a task, when the specific task allows it.

Happy gaming to all
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 03:01:18 pm by Doshot »

Leama

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2008, 01:14:28 pm »
It has been a great pleasure to know Donari and I must say for a person of a younger age I believe that I see more maturity and intelligence in this young person then I have seen in many adults I know in real life. Anyone who is willing to have Donari on their team can look forward to having an enormous addition.

I personally wish to thank you Donari for all the time you have spent with me and I always look forward to chatting with you whenever there is time. As far as I am concerned you are an amazing person. It is an honor to know you.
Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards.

Xillix Queen of Fools

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2008, 12:22:51 pm »
http://www.planeshift.it/recruitment.html

For those of you considering the application process the link above!

saladasalad

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
    • Vivada - Band / Blog / Good People
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2008, 10:39:11 pm »
Setting Department: BACKGROUND/SETTING Member (We have open positions!)

Will create background stories, quests, legends, NPCs and anything related to the setting of PlaneShift.

Skills:
Dungeon Master of pen and paper RPGs for 2+ years.
Bent for medieval setting.

I have never played a pen and paper RPG in my life.... does that make me useless to the settings team?
Artisian Hooke  -  Guild Elder in The Organisation.
Alumolo Genare.
Divire Dighur.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Vivada - Band / Blog / Good People

Ver

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2008, 11:21:06 pm »
Maybe not, but you ought to be talented. At least fanfiction.