Author Topic: Illysia's Render Gallery  (Read 20827 times)

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Illysia's Render Gallery
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2010, 01:34:35 am »
Uhm, I once made it, but it was lost with Kary's thread... or not?

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2010, 06:11:56 pm »
I remember that fur!  :D In fact I was wondering what happened to it a few weeks ago.
The kran wig part isn't so hard. It's the getting it in game part that is hard.

Well, here's some more props for the village.

Here's a new carpet for the weaving section. It's got the crystal as a theme. I was considering doing a crystal themed tapestry instead but this was quicker. ;)

Here's a generic table. 22 triangles, 12 polys.

Here's a fancy table. 220 triangles and 108 polys. It could stand a bit more work on the texture but we'll see how that goes.

And here is a decorative metal bowl on little stands. 144 triangles, 80 polys. I'll figure out what to put in them later, but the generic bowl is done.

I had a few of them go over the 100 triangle limit... :-\

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2010, 10:26:11 pm »
 I think those twelve triangles on the pot are worth it, since there are more side angles you can look at it from than top angles. It's also a lot more obvious when you're moving around it.

On both the thread and wood grain, I think you need to make the texture more pronounced. If I make the images dark, and my room dark, I can still see the wood grain (real wood, not plastic and board) on my desk, but not on the corner-tables. Likewise, I can still see the threads of our indoor placemat, but not those of the rugs.
 Horizontally blurring the patterns a bit more along the threads would also help. It's rather hard to get a perfectly even dye on the thread used the weave a rug before it is weaved. Although I guess they could use magic to dye it after it's weaved.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 30, 2010, 01:37:29 am »
Don't you count the triangles only (most of them are backside-culled anyway).

The design of the "fancy table" is geometrically simple, yet artistic and decorative. If it was me to decide, I'd agree to implement it.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 30, 2010, 01:49:43 pm »
We'll see about the water jar. You mean add a bump map for the grain or just contrast it more? For the blue carpet, I tried adding noise to distort the pattern a bit more.

Here's some more carpet patterns as well The first one is a close up of one in the set. That's my rainbow collection, inspired by the purple Ojaveda carpet. And the last one is the sunset flight carpet. It's got butterflies winding across it. I might change the color scheme and do a night and morning version as well.

I count both polys and triangles LigH. There is a little counter in max that keeps track of it for you so I just go by it and gives me both. :D I think the fancy table needs designs along the legs but I'm glad you like it.

scotty110

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 30, 2010, 03:46:07 pm »
those look a lot like berber rugs, only thing is the trim around the outside needs to be roughed up a bit or similar noise pattern added.
Main character on zeroping: Halbor

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 30, 2010, 09:47:19 pm »
 That got it Illysia. Not perfect, but to the point where I can't describe what's missing adequately. Increases the contrast on the gain of the wooden tables would help, but I think you need to detail it more. Perhaps using a photo or a real wood of the same kind as a reference would help.
 I guess the rainbow rugs are the kinds that were dyed after being weaved?
 The butterflies look like confetti or wood shavings that were sprinkled on instead of being part of the rug. Could you remove the shadows? And perhaps give them a more distinct outline from the string used to sew them on after weaving?

bloodedIrishman

« Reply #127 on: June 30, 2010, 10:21:55 pm »
Yes and Illysia after you wipe my butt squeaky-clean I want you to wash my feet.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 30, 2010, 11:08:40 pm »
@scotty110: The trim is just a fringe of the little strings that some carpets have. If you look close you can see they aren't entirely straight but I didn't want them too be too messed up as that would mean I would have gaps and would need an opacity map too. :sweatdrop: If I put more polys on, I could even out the elevation some but then I'd have to redo the UVs and I don't really want to do that.

@Nivm, maybe. I can try contrasing the grain more but I'm not sure how good that would look. And yes, they are dyed after weaving. The butterflys are like sewn on applique type things. They are in fact sitting on top of the rug which is why they have the shadow; it slightly raised. Showing the thread would be hard at this resolution for the texture and wouldn't be very noticeable on the model either way.

@bloodedIrishman: huh? ???

Here is the Night Flight and Sunrise Flight versions of the Sunset Flight carpet. Apparently the weavers are busy busy people as there are going to be carpets everywhere at this rate. ::|

And here is a candle. There are candle makers in the village so they will need candles. I'm going to try to resist the urge to spend the next two hours just doing texture tweaks to this model.

254 triangles, 159 polys.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 01, 2010, 02:14:40 am »
I count both polys and triangles LigH. There is a little counter in max that keeps track of it for you so I just go by it and gives me both. :D I think the fancy table needs designs along the legs but I'm glad you like it.

Meh. You missed my point...

I rather meant: Do not only count them - but use them for pretty and unique designs! And limits change with hardware requirements too.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 01, 2010, 03:27:14 am »
Well, we'll see.... budget modeling means fewer polys to texture and I like that. ;)

Here's some more props. An apple tree with shiny apples and a mannequin for making dresses. For the record, the mannequin was a pain to texture right. Not as bad as some things, but bad enough. I'll put up the poly and triangle counts some other time.

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2010, 02:26:12 am »
 When I put a sewn-badge on the floor, I see no shadow around it. Are the butterflies really that thick?

A village that works on candle production will need the equipment and wax stock for it. Do you know what their source of wax is?
 Are the objects in the candle tray polished stones?

Do you think you could add a horizontal branch-plane to the tree, positioned where a person would look up into it? Just something to hide the fact that it's made of 2d planes from that angle.
 The size of the threads on the doll's shoulder are incongruous with the rest, but it doesn't look like it's required, since the lower parts show texture that could be used in the same place.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 02:29:11 am by Nivm »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 02, 2010, 02:39:40 am »
There is a source of wax - check several insects...

About the shadows - this is surely true, the sewing won't have too much of it, but the pompoms casting a slight shade would add to the 3D impression.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 02:48:57 am by LigH »

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador

Nivm

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2010, 02:56:33 am »
 I meant which source, since it might not necessarily be insects, or might be dangerous, giant insects...

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 02, 2010, 08:16:50 am »
I mean: According to the game mechanics, there is already a source of wax technically implemented, as you are already able to loot it from killed insects. (That's already enough a half-spoiler...)

But there may of course be different sources possible, which are not (yet) implemented in the game, and mere imagination.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador