Author Topic: Winch access... The Never Ending Frustration  (Read 4720 times)

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Winch access... The Never Ending Frustration
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2011, 01:40:57 am »

The real question seems to be, Why does one need a mount? That is meant as a redundant question and it is not meant to disrespect those who have answered that and worked for a mount.

Why does one need a car?

One doesn't. Transit works fine for me.

- Nova

MishkaL1138

• Veteran
  • Meh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 06:58:30 am »

The real question seems to be, Why does one need a mount? That is meant as a redundant question and it is not meant to disrespect those who have answered that and worked for a mount.

Why does one need a car?

- Nova

Then go to the US without a car, walking ;D

"It's all fun and games until someone stabs someone else in the eye."

bilbous

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 10:40:49 am »
Total the amount of time one spends walking around Yliakum doing various quests to answer that question. Then there is the jumping and mobility access thing, as well as the fact that Drifters are damn cool looking. The real question is... why does one need redundant signatures in forum posts?

--Verden ;)

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 06:55:30 pm »
When I returned to Yliakum a month or two ago I swore I wouldn´t redo all that work.  Now I need to talk to Axomir to train, so it seems I have to.  I´ve been doing the old guard-way winch quests for a month or more, and then all the guard quests I could find, and all the merchant ones I could find as well to try that way.  Still can´t get key quests in the old way, and am reduced to doing every random quest I can find in case it finally unlocks one I need.  All the attempts to do things logically based on what I know of the characters and settings have failed.  All attempts to avoid doing out-of-character quests are at an end.

You are right in that it is very frustrating.  I just want to train Azure way and talk to Axomir about a glyph.  A mount would be nice I´m sure, but once I have winch access I won´t need it because I´ll probably never want to do a quest again.

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2011, 06:56:39 pm »
PS despite all that I do thing that the team is doing brilliant things with quests and I appreciate all the work and creativity.  The chains need some reworking is all.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2011, 12:08:52 pm »

Then go to the US without a car, walking ;D

Went right across Canada a few years ago on a 30 day train pass; stopping in a number of cities. Not quite the US but a close approximation .

- Nova

Lady Crankenstein

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
The Never Ending Frustration became JOY
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2011, 12:43:29 pm »
The update to all my ranting is that I did FINALLY get the Winch access ( even wrote a single story post on that ), and now have the Rivnak I wanted so very much.
 My conclusion is this : This game is MUCH MUCH better now that I have both the rivnak for riding with friends as RP ( not just a faster way to travel ), and access to a place that I think adds special vistas, places and views that I also have been able to share in RP.
    I STILL HAVE NO IDEA why this had to be so so so so dm frustrating to have... and forget me doing another quest.   My best suggestion, for new characters, before anything else you do, achieve this first .. and then  all the rest of the RP will be so much more for you... if you want to quest as the frustration mongers seem to love, then you can do them so much better as well.
La Crank

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2011, 01:39:57 pm »
From what I've experienced, I wouldn't put any stock into trying to get into the winch.  Just do random quests when you are bored and perhaps you'll stumble into it eventually.  There seems to be no rhyme nor reason to what you need to do to get it.  Investing in it as a goal will just lead to frustration and make the game un-fun.  Do other things for fun, definitely not quests intending to reach this goal.

When factions were implemented, I had thought that they would be used to avoid quest chaining.  You could do a bunch of good things for a faction and that would open up more possibilities.   As it stands, that doesn't seem to be how it's going.  Just the opposite, in fact.  I think it would help players to understand the game better if the intentions behind the quest new setup were explained.

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2011, 02:14:18 pm »
PLain and simple.
Quests Are Easy
Distances are Short
Get yo butt up and walk it.
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Vakachehk

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2011, 05:52:34 am »

Why does one need a car?

- Nova

I'm happy not getting rapped.

I hate quests, they're frustrating, and pointless. I really do think the devs need to look at other games and how they work, because nothing seems to be working in PS at the moment. I haven't seen a newbie last more than 20 hours for quite a few months now.

If 11million people play WoW, they must get stuck in the realism of it. Therefore having minimaps, having their type of quest system, not having PPs, having easier ways to train up levels. Simply works. Now I'm not saying take all of those aboard exactly the way they are but, something needs to be done. I really doubt that there's a future in PlaneShift.
You maybe roleplaying but you could still be OOC.

Minks

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2011, 06:12:19 am »
I.. um... like quests.....  :o

RR  :detective:

I'm with him, so I guess I'm in the target audience here.   :lol:
(Well, if the quests are not broken, of course...)

Xanthan

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 08:31:27 am »
A followup for those who are trying this and finding it frustrating:  I did eventually get winch access with some help from GMs.  The things that everyone should know and which I don't think are spoilers, for the guard way:

1) All the quests really are in some sense relevant.  I don't think there were any random ones.  This is very important to know because if you don't know for sure that this is the case it is extremely frustrating.  I was greatly reassured to discover this.

2) You need to do all quests for all guards and government officials in all of Yliakum.

3) There are nearly 100 quests you have to complete.

I hope this lets people consider trying this and enjoying it as a fun journey and a goal rather than as a huge annoyance.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 08:33:28 am by Xanthan »

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2011, 09:00:29 am »
Xanthan actually if you know exactly which quests to do there are 37 quests in total to get in the guards way now. Of course I don't think anyone has figured out exactly which  quests are needed so there are people doing extra quests.

Mask

• Hydlaa Resident
  • Without imagination, we never will go anywhere...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2011, 09:03:29 am »
That's quite correct, yet most players try to get into the Winch just for a mount. I would not understand complaining about winch access if the reason of the complaint is a difficulty to get to advanced training and advanced glyphs/quests. It does even makes sense, setting wise.
Mounts being available only through the Winch however... not so much. It should not be that much of a privilege to get a simple rivnak. Nothing fancy, no battle steed or whatever. Most of my characters care less about whatever else there is to be found in the Winch area. Just the mount is interesting.
It's just an idea, it might contain nonsense until proper sources are given.

First rule of programming: Documentation, Documentation, Documentation.