Author Topic: Winch access... The Never Ending Frustration  (Read 4744 times)

Lady Crankenstein

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
Winch access... The Never Ending Frustration
« on: May 24, 2011, 12:40:40 pm »
Let me be honest up front.  I HATE QUESTS. 
  I LOVE RP... and questing is the "ANTI - RP" ... considering what I make in on hour, I am willing, right now, to donate real money to the project if only they would allow for another way to gain access thru that door.... one that does not involve endless running around, Critical Access Quests that do not trigger until 647 other quests have been done....  good GAWD man, take all your quests and make another game and call it "Frustration Fanatic Free For All !"  ... and let those of us, who value quality time with friends online, to simply have access to all the same areas.   My credit card is in hand right now.
   With my time mostly taken in RP, 2012 will come and go.. and we shall all die in the deep of cold space and I sitll wont have Winch access, or a Rivnak. Do you want that on your conscience??

Ok, seriously... This questing feature is what i have to "Warn" people about who are interested in this system.  Please , understand, on the RP server, it is very counter productive.... and to me , an offense.

Lady Crankenstein

Catlemur

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Death or Glory
    • View Profile
Re: Winch access... The Never Ending Frustration
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 01:36:17 pm »
If you like RP and hate quests why do you need Winch access?Anyways I can give you a spoiler website link.

Chessire

• Prospects
  • Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 01:45:47 pm »
I decided to answer here because I had some similar thoughts sometime ago... actually I had been reading posts of some older players claiming the game is not rp-friendly enough and such stuff. And its true many things could be tried to give players more freedom to control the way they play and their rp scenarios better, as a better way to create rp items instead of books or performing animations at will.

But despite all that Planeshift is still a video game, not a board game. Players can't have the same omnipotence and variety of choices they have in a DnD game. That is because not everyone plays planeshift the same way, some people grind, some others rp, some do both and would be bored if there wasn't a challenge as quests to do and skills to level. And the game needs to have a solid substance and rules to keep all these different people together.

Besides, if you rp all the time you are online and do nothing else you could just adapt your character to the situation and not enter the winch (as the only things to do there is train skills and do quests, you rarely meet people). Regarding the game's story not everyone is meant to enter after all, They must first prove themselves to the octarchy and if they don't then they just won't let them in.

Karlyle

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 02:10:23 pm »
I think the main issue is, you have to have winch access to get a mount.  Unless you want to pay to go everywhere, or at least one of the cities.  But there are times when you travel in the wilderness, that having a mount would be more realistic....I believe anyways.
Come by the Crystal Den and enjoy a drink

Dannae

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 03:24:20 pm »
I certainly understand your frustration, but at least you have a sense of humor about it that made me lol for real.

The Winch access might not be necessary to enter for rp'ers, but still, it is visually a nice area to see and to rp inside of. I personally hate the idea of closing off areas to players until some insane series of mind numbing torture is endured. For that matter, nearly all of the training and leveling in PS feels like torture to me.

Isn't there some way to make it actually fun? I don't even mind if it takes a long time as long as it could be fun. Instead of the constant moving of items from box to box to train cooking or metallurgy or even mine etc., why not make it into some kind of game within game? Why couldn't training be something like a tetris or any other simple game where your score could add to your level of skill or experience learned? Just my random thoughts.

verden

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 04:18:24 pm »
You think its bad now? You really should have tried questing back in about 2005. You probably wouldn't believe how things have improved. Quest system is not nearly done though.

Tzarhunt

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 05:25:32 pm »
The fact it used to be worst doesn't mean we can't improve it again...
And it doesn't mean one can't find it bad now.

I'm pretty sure quest should (and maybe could) be both more challenging and fun to run. Currently, most of them are about going from A to B then to C then back to A as so forth, with NPCs telling you exactly what to do. A courier job, sure, but not funny nor entertaining.

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 08:11:45 pm »
Double posted while trying some spelling edits. My bad....
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:19:15 pm by novacadian »

novacadian

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 08:17:22 pm »

My feelings lean a little bit towards anti-quests and my character does not have winch access. She does not have a mount saying that she is holding off until she can have the same ride as Talad used during his appearance in Hydlaa Square some cycles ago; a Pterosaur. She is pleased to ride on one occasionally when passing from city to city; yet the chance of ownership should see her without winch access unless training becomes a factor. RP works for her too being a Priest rank in the Brotherhood of Talad.

My style of RP works better on foot. My style is not to go racing off after ooc tells. My character has almost completed the needed quests and had fun deliberating what ones she would and would not do for political reasons. They helped shape her character a bit in my mind.

The real question seems to be, Why does one need a mount? That is meant as a redundant question and it is not meant to disrespect those who have answered that and worked for a mount.

- Nova

Earowo

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Guild Site
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 01:25:34 am »
The thing about the Winch is, it is IC'ly closed off to people, IC'ly only People who are RICH, Are 'very' well known merchants, or have a really high place in the social system, [Meaning Being a higher up in the octarchy, or haveing vital connections to them]
So it 'SHOULD' be hard to get into Winch, But I suppose the Option to buy, or bribe your way in could be plausible, it would have to cost a hell of a lot though, mabey 1/2 to 1 mill [yeah that might not be a lot to some :P]

Also, how everyone always complains about not haveing mounts, its pathetic, I have both a mount, and plenty of cash, to go fly somwhere, but I dont, I walk back and forth between oja and BD for no reason at all, other than to just waste a little time. If yall are 'so' lazy, to hold down W or the up key, for mabey two minutes, then you should probably be getting some exorcise, not playing PS.
Dohmo: Please clean up your language immediately.
Me: as i just said, what i said, fits in the guidlines of rated PG, i was just explaining to the G guy
Dohmo: Sorry I tried to e nice
Dohmo: and i'm telling you to clean it up. last warning
Dohmo: now just do it
Dohmo: No more warnings

Abuse?

Aramara Meibi

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 02:26:17 am »
the only good thing I can say about quests is that it was through doing quests and asking for help on them ICly that I learned how to RP and met other players early on.

yes, I have a rivnack, his name is Max, he's the only familiar I actually use, and very rarely, whenever Ara feels like going for a ride. She casually walks EVERYWHERE she goes, and I love her for it.

Icerra hasn't done a single quest.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 02:34:05 am by Aramara Meibi »
all blessings to the assembled devotees.

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 04:48:20 am »
I must confess that I did a lot of quests before I learned roleplaying with other players. Might be related to my former experience with SP-RPGs only (namely the Gothic series), I was just used to it.

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Wavan Levironk

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 09:33:06 am »
The fact is you can't "pay" your way in. It's meant for rich and famous people. Characters with a name. That's why getting into the winch is hard.

Yes, I also get bored as hell doing those quests but I don't see they really hurt RP. It's an area for the highest people in Yliakum, so that's why it's closed for "average" characters.

Just imagine asking IRL if there's another way to join the Bilderberg Group without fame, influence or money :p
"The same moment that you are seen as the best, the fastest and somebody that cannot be touched, you are enormously fragile." - Ayrton Senna

RlyDontKnow

• Associate Developer
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 10:18:24 am »
The fact is you can't "pay" your way in. It's meant for rich and famous people. Characters with a name. That's why getting into the winch is hard.

Yes, I also get bored as hell doing those quests but I don't see they really hurt RP. It's an area for the highest people in Yliakum, so that's why it's closed for "average" characters.

Just imagine asking IRL if there's another way to join the Bilderberg Group without fame, influence or money :p

it'd still be nice if you wouldn't really have to get in there for rather common tasks like getting a permit signed. personally I think letting someone bring it there for signing (be it an NPC or a PC) and then handing it back to you would do just as well.

Sangwa

• Forum Addict
  • Chars: Morwen and Gartheiz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 10:55:02 am »
Or training weapons. Why the heck would the weapon masters be inside a merchant's place?
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and I can be reasoned with. I'm probably right, though.

Join the Dark Empire!