Author Topic: what about the Hell?  (Read 4493 times)

Durwyn

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Athénée Royal Jean Rey Couvin
what about the Hell?
« on: December 28, 2006, 04:25:31 pm »
hello everyone. i need to know what you think about the word "Hell". i ask you this because Some GMs are thinking that hell has something to do with religion. Nevertheless i think this point of view is finished nowadays. We think that Hell = Violence or so. Dont you?

PLz answer to this. Amicaly Durwyn
http://arjrcouvin.jimdo.com/
Athénée Royal Jean Rey Couvin

Finira

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Re: what about the Hell?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 04:42:13 pm »
Hey Durwyn,

I never connected the word "hell" with religion in PS. And I think in a role playing environment it's downright absurd to do so - if you want to connect it to something, it's death realm (at least that's my association). And no, "Death Realms Dwarves" just wouldn't sound right :devil:.

Please, dear GMs, don't be more Catholic than the Pope! (When has this expression ever fitted better, huh?  ;))

Cheers,

- Finira -

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 04:57:26 pm »
To call the Death Realm "hell" is wrong. The word still has religious connotations, even if you personally do not see them. Hell has always meant a place of anguish and punishment, and the Death Realm, although dark, is not all about torment. It shouldn't be a big deal to avoid using this word, and I think many people would appreciate you separating these two concepts when you are roleplaying.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Idoru

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2006, 05:22:58 pm »
the Death Realm, although dark, is not all about torment.

lol, you try telling that to some of the new players who spend hours down there ;)

"May there only be peaceful and cheerful Earth Days to come for our beautiful Spaceship Earth as it continues to spin and circle in frigid space with its warm and fragile cargo of animate life."

Kalika

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2006, 05:43:36 pm »
iagree with karyuu in that the word "hell" does have feelings of religion and torment.
i dont think its a strong connection, but in regards calling the death realm "hell" i dont think works at all. the death realm is the death realm.

'she lies with her arms flung out as if to embrace the whole hyancinth-scented, watermelon-colored world.'

neko kyouran

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2006, 06:51:25 pm »
If I'm reading things right here, then the following is my viewpoint.

All jokes aside, there is nothing in game that can be related to Hell, as it is thought of in real life.  Therefore, a guild by the name Hells Dwarves is not within the setting of the game, therefore ooc, therefore not appropriate for use in game, therefore should be immediately changed.

With what has been made and revealed of the game's settings, there is no concept of hell.  Therefore using that word as it is being used is completely OOC, and since the game is trying to limit the ooc stuff in game, it should not be used in game.

And not to bring up that topic again, but if people made a fuss over the word bugger, then I will imagine that they will be voicing quite a conern over the allowing of the word hell in game.

Finira

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2006, 07:03:54 pm »
*rolls her eyes* I guess I'm just too old for this ... therefore, I'm going back to playing and having fun. Some people could do with taking some things a little less seriously, too, in my opinion. Narf.

bilbous

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 12:57:52 am »
You could always refer to heck, Hell's Dwarves could become Heck's Gecks. Kind of has a nice ring to it. Hell's Dwarves is just silly. Traditional Dwarves (if there are such things) do not go to hell when they die, if they have an afterlife it certainly isn't a Christian one. I suppose in fantasy all is fair if the context allows. It doesn't seem to apply here.

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 05:37:42 am »
if they actually must change the name we could atleast help 'em find a sutable one, something similair
i may not be good with names but here's one atleast "dark dwarfs" simple but similair ;) aaand should be in the settings if i'm right... hopefully  ;)

Peacer

• Veteran
  • I've got balls of steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 05:38:19 am »
You could always use the words relegious meaning (tormenting fire) and get something with that. Though I must say that you can't force those guys to change the name when your own npc's use it.
The Guardians of Power

left the game, looking in now and then to check progress, if you want to contact me use the email attached to the msn contact on this forum account

Elvicat

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • My site
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 05:41:42 am »
You could always use the words relegious meaning (tormenting fire) and get something with that. Though I must say that you can't force those guys to change the name when your own npc's use it.

uhm what npc's use the name hell?

Peacer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2006, 05:44:51 am »

If I remember right soemone in the bronze doors, one of polyuntris quests. I'll check my logs and edit my post
The Guardians of Power

left the game, looking in now and then to check progress, if you want to contact me use the email attached to the msn contact on this forum account

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2006, 05:53:11 am »
Hell does remind me of the religious "heaven & hell" but what I thought of before that when I saw the name "Hell's Dwarves" was the motorcycle band "Hell's Angels". I'm assuming that is the image you're going for with your guild but I do have to say that both of those are not so good for immersion into PS since they're both concepts that don't exist there.

To suggest a good name chance I'd have to know a whole lot more about your guild and it's background than I do .. so I won't try here.
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Peacer

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2006, 06:03:47 am »

If I remember right soemone in the bronze doors, one of polyuntris quests. I'll check my logs and edit my post

grok: ah trasok made some good deals with......... HEY! What the hell!

from the trasok identification quest :)
The Guardians of Power

Nikodemus

• Prospects
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2006, 07:08:16 am »
Durwyn, once i tried to explain you whats wrong with your guild name, but after 3 attempts you was still taking about something else, and then you started dying XD. Anyway good you have broght this topic, so that you realised your guild name is wrong, as ooc ;)

What you can failure tommorow, failure today.

Better click for shiny stylez Help me with images!