Author Topic: Illysia's Render Gallery  (Read 20926 times)

Mordaan

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: Illysia's Render Gallery
« Reply #150 on: January 30, 2012, 03:51:45 pm »
Heck, we could use this now to represent the steel rings for chain mail.   ;D
--Overseer, Explorers Guild.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 30, 2012, 04:16:36 pm »
XD Do you have to actually make the individual rings in game?

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 30, 2012, 05:25:34 pm »
Great idea! Can't we use this for steel rings artwork?

Luckily you don't work on individual rings, you work on dozens  ;D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 07:26:11 pm by Gilrond »

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 30, 2012, 07:18:36 pm »
Great idea! Can't we use this for steel rings artwork?

Technically no for several reasons. As a policy, they stopped using artwork that was already revealed in the forums. The spoilers issue has ridiculously far reach around here. Two, inclusion would require it to become Atomic Blue property under the ABC license. Three, I do not have enough goodwill left towards this project to donate anymore art.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 30, 2012, 07:27:42 pm »
Understandable. Though I don't understand the refusal to use anything revealed previously, as well as refusal to use anything that is already under CC or simply public domain, doing that doesn't violate anything. Extreme "spoilers" policy can spoil the game.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2012, 10:30:51 pm »

I think the idea is that they don't want art that appears in this game to also appear in others or elsewhere.. that would make it look kinda cheap/cookie-cutterish...

I think that when you post art in a thread you automatically have some sort of rights over it as its creator per the DMCA (assuming your didn't copy someone else's work ) but I don't know much about all that legal crapola so take this with a grain of salt.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2012, 11:01:37 pm »
Not convincing. If you mean the game art as a whole, then yes. But if it's just one part, while lot's of others are already under ABC - then it's not reasonable. I.e. if you use some art which is under CC, still other games won't look the same, because it's just one part. If the whole content is CC, then game is easily cloneable as is. But lot's of parts are already ABC, so game isn't cloneable, and using some CC parts won't hurt anything. I also suspect the ABC limitation scares away some potential artists as well, so the intended benefits can be outweighed by the stronger drawback, which is - no artists.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 11:03:22 pm by Gilrond »

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2012, 11:11:56 pm »
Nope, once you sign ABC you loose all right. I kinda understand why, (as was seen when Moon took back his work) but I have too much history with this project and certain individuals to be that generous. I won't be yanking back what work is already in game but I certainly won't be making more and signing it over. Talad is a little paranoid about people stealing work so everything is taken in by ABC and no CC will be used.

Gilrond

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 31, 2012, 12:02:07 am »
Not surprising that artists are lacking then. I can easily understand why someone will be willing to share the work under permissive license like CC, but won't be willing to just give it away under restrictive license.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 31, 2012, 12:29:37 am »
Yeah, it does. As you can see here from the license page on www.planeshift.it .

All artwork, musics, dialogues, stories, names, 3d models, etc... are under a proprietary license. This means you cannot reuse those in any way. If you plan to create another game based on our source code, remember you will have to redo all art,music,models,stories,etc...

This applies to the people that made those assets as well. Slows down a whole lot more than just artwork doesn't it? ;)

weltall

• Associate Developer
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://weltall.heliohost.org
« Reply #160 on: January 31, 2012, 04:39:12 am »
handling several licenses is a mess and you've to track what license each piece is for each work on them. So CC is more troubles.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 31, 2012, 10:55:14 am »
And the flip side is: completely signing over your work is trouble too.  ;)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 01, 2012, 10:48:52 pm »
And once again the forum is cranky about posing in a thread that has been dead for... awhile. *cough* Anywho, after seeing Tessra's really nice drawing of Teshia and Teeleh I got to thinking about my own poor little neglected art thread. So I decided to finally show everybody what my favorite little miner/jeweler looks like. I'm hoping that maybe this will help clear up some of the confusion about him. ;) As a side note, it took 12 hours to do this picture and I was tired of working on it about 6 hours into it >.> ... perseverance.

I made the original big so that I could paint in the details properly.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 11:10:11 pm by Illysia »

LigH

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 02, 2012, 01:28:32 am »
Just the kind of pleasant person some people may be looking for to share an (IC) life with...

Gag Harmond
Knight and Ambassador
The Royal House of Purrty

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 02, 2012, 01:44:31 am »
Very few I would imagine. He wouldn't be very useful on an ulber hunting trip. ;)