Author Topic: The "I'm Bored" Conversation Thread  (Read 18891 times)

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
Re: The "I'm Bored" Conversation Thread
« Reply #735 on: October 05, 2013, 02:42:28 pm »
Normally I don't like speaking my mind this bluntly but today is not Illy Tolerance Day.

@Volki: You spent more time using links you hadn't read, throwing insults instead of proper explanations, and brushing me off once you couldn't defend yourself any longer, than you did actually doing a defense of your position. You weren't enlightening anyone, you thought you were proving yourself more intelligent and in the end being full of crap, not just the argument, backed you into a corner. You weren't worried about embarrassing me since according to you it was happening already and you mocked when you thought you could get away with it. You can take that load of crap or complete imaginary tale, which ever you want to group it as, with you as well on your way out of the debate. You simply ran out of arguments, which can happen; when you are civil and know how to talk to people, it's no big deal as people will understand and will simply shrug.

But when you come up with stuff like this and then don't come through on it, it makes it harder to just let even happenstance slide. You swear you know more, but to say you can argue every point, you just resorted to stray statements or unrelated reinterpretations of what is said. That's called not knowing what you are talking about or simply not knowing enough. And by the way, this is how you make sure of what someone said, you go back and check.

You should have had the grace, after lecturing so much, to admit that you were wrong, you needed more time to form a clearer argument, clarify what you had already said, or just simply bow out until you can do some actual research. But instead you ran and you turn your back on the debate with the same blowing off that backed your arguments into a corner. Go ahead and go because I am definitely sick of arguing with you. I have nothing against the debate but I'm tired of trying to overlook your crap for the sake of trying to make points. But, as you go, don't act like you enlightened anyone or like you were trying to help a soul. There is no face to save here; you just need to head on until you can learn to communicate with people without being so obnoxious and maybe need to take your own advice on just stopping sooner.

Now, that being said.

@Rirenil: :/ Hmm... Now we have to guess.

*makes random guess*
Strawberry Lady? er... I mean Zorbels? Hmmm... Maybe I better go read more.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: October 05, 2013, 02:59:12 pm »
i am in love with this little indie game and it's amazing soundtrack.  http://www.electronicsuperjoy.com/

here's a taste:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttX7Ui_eNmA

the music composer is a young kid whom you might remember from this overly popular vid when the skyrims were the big things  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js1H73QjXOo

he's had his music in a few other popular small time games as well.  the track used above is the third level of "the impossible game", which is another little fun yet frustrating game i enjoy.

Finally got to take a look at this. Funny, I was playing a game on the wii that was kinda similar called Bit.Trip Runner. I like your game better.

Regarding the post-apocolyptic disaster discussion that *evolved*  ( ha ha .. couldn't resist ) into a less than credible lesson or perhaps "mutual verbal spanking" in evolution and whatnot, perhaps its a good time to seek a new topic. I feel the direction of the conversation has been lost. Lets not chase each other's tails for the sake of chasing tails. :)

* Rigwyn opens a new can of worms.

What do y'all think about religion, mythology and humankind? Are there any positive or beneficial uses for religious and spiritual practices despite their questionable grounds in reality? Do the symbols, rituals and fictional beliefs found in various religions say something about who and what people are much as the story or fictional novel tends to give little hints about the writer him/her/kraself?

( For the lazy and weak in mind, this is a not a yes or no type of question. )

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 03:01:14 pm by Rigwyn »

bilbous

« Reply #737 on: October 05, 2013, 03:12:19 pm »
When you can perceive only 3(+1) of the postulated 11 (or more?) dimensions is it possible to be certain of anything you can perceive? Perhaps religions order our brainwaves in way that tap into aspects of the dimensions we cannot experience directly causing effects we cannot know. 

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: October 05, 2013, 03:19:10 pm »
This reminds me of Carl Sagan's talk about "Flatland". For those who have not seen the video, he discussed the problems of visualizing an extra dimension using a two dimensional world as an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnURElCzGc0

bilbous

« Reply #739 on: October 05, 2013, 04:32:40 pm »
certainly not original to either him or I *Wikipedia.

I just evolved the concept slightly  :innocent:

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: October 05, 2013, 08:24:37 pm »
Religion and politics are two topics I try to avoid at all cost on the internet, for the obvious reasons. While I have a thought on the subject, there is very little that isn't in some way controversial and I'm a bit tapped out for a while on controversy.

However, that is an interesting video Rigwyn. To build on Bilbous' statement, more like it is a shadow that shows a not completely accurate representation of something we don't have a true point of reference for. Thus when trying to quantify it in terms of our points of reference, the explanations can have varying levels of coherence, "proof", and interpretation... Yikes. o.o
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 08:28:00 pm by Illysia »

Rirenil Masdo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: October 05, 2013, 09:44:13 pm »
Everypony knows that Celestia and her sister Luna make the Sun and Moon go round.  you silly fillies and you're silly ways of thinking. 

~~~

oh boy, i hit 10 "chapters". the things got a life of it's own!  run for the hills.  and yeah.  it should be real obvious who "she" is now wit that last bit of story.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 09:46:14 pm by Rirenil Masdo »
"Jekkar really is Planeshift's very own Van Gogh - an iconoclastic rulebreaker, unheralded by his peers, who must await for history to recognise his talents at a later date." - Rinenud
"Jekkar is an old one-eared smelly elitist party-pooper jerkface."  - Neko K

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: October 05, 2013, 10:36:54 pm »
Ponies.... O.<

However, I told you it would keep growing and growing. :P

Volki

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: October 05, 2013, 11:53:42 pm »
Normally I don't like speaking my mind this bluntly but today is not Illy Tolerance Day.

@Volki: You spent more time using links you hadn't read, throwing insults instead of proper explanations, and brushing me off once you couldn't defend yourself any longer, than you did actually doing a defense of your position. You weren't enlightening anyone, you thought you were proving yourself more intelligent and in the end being full of crap, not just the argument, backed you into a corner. You weren't worried about embarrassing me since according to you it was happening already and you mocked when you thought you could get away with it. You can take that load of crap or complete imaginary tale, which ever you want to group it as, with you as well on your way out of the debate. You simply ran out of arguments, which can happen; when you are civil and know how to talk to people, it's no big deal as people will understand and will simply shrug.

But when you come up with stuff like this and then don't come through on it, it makes it harder to just let even happenstance slide. You swear you know more, but to say you can argue every point, you just resorted to stray statements or unrelated reinterpretations of what is said. That's called not knowing what you are talking about or simply not knowing enough. And by the way, this is how you make sure of what someone said, you go back and check.

You should have had the grace, after lecturing so much, to admit that you were wrong, you needed more time to form a clearer argument, clarify what you had already said, or just simply bow out until you can do some actual research. But instead you ran and you turn your back on the debate with the same blowing off that backed your arguments into a corner. Go ahead and go because I am definitely sick of arguing with you. I have nothing against the debate but I'm tired of trying to overlook your crap for the sake of trying to make points. But, as you go, don't act like you enlightened anyone or like you were trying to help a soul. There is no face to save here; you just need to head on until you can learn to communicate with people without being so obnoxious and maybe need to take your own advice on just stopping sooner.

I have enough people backing me up, enough consensus that you are incorrect, and enough confidence in my knowledge and textbooks that I feel no need to continue this. This whole "debate", I have not experienced anger. Maybe some frustration and confusion regarding your behavior. But mostly amusement. You are the one with something to prove, not I.

Your outburst has been quoted for the future.
Lace dark dreadfull power inside him awakens now fully resultin his former self comin back lord of dark noble house shantae of mevango family lacertus shadowone mevango also knowed as darkblade of shadows

lilura

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • report posts of yours that you want deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: October 06, 2013, 12:22:55 am »
Maybe i should ask ven to keep deleting Rirenil's story post so he will stay longer  :devil:

Also dear Rirenil, do you watch Friendship is Witchcraft as well?

Monala arches a brow. "Wait, so eatin' is like..." she shakes her head. "Er, nevermind."
[1: gossip] Monala: Lilu's piesexual.

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: October 06, 2013, 02:13:46 am »
Friendship is Witchcraft

You know... I did a double take when I saw that nestled in there. It actually took me a few moments to figure out why lilu used witchcraft there since I wasn't expecting it. And that is why you read carefully what it is written, so that you don't get whiplash from completing a phrase, or in this case title, in your mind and then your brain spazzes because it realizes something is wrong with that picture. ;)

tman

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: October 06, 2013, 04:36:07 am »
Something important that certain people seem to be forgetting here... you know who you are

Writing more does not make you more right.  A short, clear, concise argument is by far the most convincing.

Illysia, you are right that the primary point of contention lies in the definition of evolution being used.  However, your definition is incorrect.  It is too restrictive. 

"Evolution is the change in the inherited characteristics of biological populations over successive generations." [Wikipedia page: Evolution] That is the scientific definition of the word.  You can claim that it is too loose and that "evolution" should be limited to certain situations.  That argument may have merit, but unfortunately you are not in charge of the English language and cannot redefine words to your liking.

Look at the Wikipedia article "Selective Breeding" again.  On the right side, you will see that selective breeding is considered a branch of Evolutionary Biology.

In the case of dog breeding, artificial selection causes dogs with specific traits to be mated more frequently and dogs with undesirable traits not to mate.  From an Evolutionary Biology standpoint this is identical to environmental pressures killing off individuals with undesirable traits.  Yes, from an individual perspective being sterilized isn't the same as being killed, but when you consider successive generations it means the same thing: they don't pass on the undesirable traits to the next generation.  Those that are selected to breed pass on their genes, and the next generation has a different genetic makeup tailored to the selected trait.

They show wide phenotypic difference yes, but they are still quite similar to each other in terms of genetics.
This doesn't make any sense.  Changes in phenotype are caused directly by changes in genetics.  The fact that the organisms are 99.99% the same is irrelevant.  The 0.01% can still cause extreme differences in the ability to pass on traits, whether the selection is natural or artificial.  If you don't believe me, here is a list of diseases in humans that can be caused by a SINGLE point mutation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_mutation#Specific_diseases_caused_by_point_mutations
That's right.  If just one base pair out of 3 billion is wrong, you can end up dead.  Tiny genetic variations can still cause vast differences in evolutionary "fitness."

I just realized I'm not following my own advice.  Oops...  :whistling:
You can't teach a pig to sing.  It'll never work, and you'll annoy the pig.

Rirenil Masdo

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: October 06, 2013, 07:33:30 am »
Also dear Rirenil, do you watch Friendship is Witchcraft as well?

Short answer: yes.

Long answer:

I'm also considering adding a few more names to that list.  I like watch the channels entire video history and I only add them if I've enjoyed at least most their work.  It makes the boring nights go by until I can manage to fall asleep.

Maybe i should ask ven to keep deleting Rirenil's story post so he will stay longer  :devil:

A global moderator without the power to properly do their job?  What has this place devolved into?  Oh wait, this statement should have gone in the "complaint" thread.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 07:40:39 am by Rirenil Masdo »
"Jekkar really is Planeshift's very own Van Gogh - an iconoclastic rulebreaker, unheralded by his peers, who must await for history to recognise his talents at a later date." - Rinenud
"Jekkar is an old one-eared smelly elitist party-pooper jerkface."  - Neko K

lilura

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • report posts of yours that you want deleted
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: October 06, 2013, 11:51:53 am »
dearest tman we are on to other subjects now ....like ponies and Rirenil's story and what ever riggy said.. :P

Monala arches a brow. "Wait, so eatin' is like..." she shakes her head. "Er, nevermind."
[1: gossip] Monala: Lilu's piesexual.

Rigwyn

• Prospects
  • Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: October 06, 2013, 02:31:30 pm »
Tman's original point about post length is golden. When you write too much, you dilute your point. If you want to make a strong point, say it in a few words as possible and use bold and color to emphasize only the most important points.