Author Topic: Important Performance Tip!  (Read 13367 times)

jorrit

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
Important Performance Tip!
« on: December 25, 2004, 02:09:23 pm »
Please use 24 or 32 bit display mode (i.e. millions of colors). CS doesn\'t perform well in 16-bit display mode.

Greetings,
Project Manager of Crystal Space, CEL, CrystalBlend and Crystal Core. Please support Crystal Space with a donation.

Gumono

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2004, 02:11:35 pm »
On one of my systems with a geforce 2mx the game is faster with 16bit...

lynx_lupo

• Veteran
  • Sorbus aria!
    • View Profile
    • Linux pri nas
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2004, 02:45:07 pm »
Since when is 24bit supported? Also, there are a bit different definitions for this on windows than on linux. =?
"Amor sceleratus habendi"- Ovid
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you eat them." -Godzilla

Lordbug

• Hydlaa Notable
  • Magic Mugs!
    • View Profile
    • Knowledge Seekers guild
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2004, 04:49:35 pm »
and if CB is Very  Very  slow change the resulution to 800x600 in PlaneShift Setup, close every program and start your client. Ah, and turn the sound off.
"Lordbug" Dosaki, Chancellor of Knowledge Seekers Guild

Where does the PlaneShift Modding Community live nowadays?

jorrit

• Developers
  • Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 09:58:15 am »
Originally posted by lynx_lupo
Since when is 24bit supported? Also, there are a bit different definitions for this on windows than on linux. =?

Why wouldn\'t 24-bit be supported?

Greetings,
Project Manager of Crystal Space, CEL, CrystalBlend and Crystal Core. Please support Crystal Space with a donation.

lynx_lupo

• Veteran
  • Sorbus aria!
    • View Profile
    • Linux pri nas
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 10:41:30 am »
; Screen depth (currently supports 8, 15, 16, and 32 bits, NO 24 bits!)

from planeshift.cfg.

I know 24bit works, i\'ve been using it, but that line made me confused. So now that it is confirmed, that comment can be removed. :)
"Amor sceleratus habendi"- Ovid
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you eat them." -Godzilla

sashok

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 04:25:34 pm »
another tip, when in game, turn off fading of the menus or turn them off completely..  
I don\'t know how much is correct I believe if you hold Ctrl+ right mouse click on any menu (such as menu with all buttons like greet, attack..)  you will see enable fading check box, click that off.  

Fading makes the menus fade in/out, causing more lag for weak graphic cards, I noticed if they are just solid, I am able to play faster.

Sound as well causes slow computers or computers with little ram to play slower.

Namffoc

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004, 11:27:40 am »
And may I ask, for those of us that aren\'t smart enough to know anything about computers..How do you change it to 24 bit?

Namffoc

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2004, 11:32:21 am »
Disregard that, I just figured it out..but my problem still isn\'t fixed :-/

Willam MacLeod

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
SLOOOOOW
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2005, 07:23:10 pm »
It is running really slow on my system.  
1) How do I set it to 24 bit
2) How do I run it in open GL rather then software

Im am currently running the game in 16 bit, before in 32 it was much slower.  I see you can run audio in AL mode, but there is no option for Open GL rather than software.  

Help!! I love the game, but my computer is crawling.  It is a dell inspiron 8100, Pentium 3 - 2 Gig,  256 Ram

I know it needs an up grade, but no $$$ right now.  

Thanks,
          Will

confused

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 10:19:50 pm »
Don\'t worry if you see only 32 bit mode and no 24 bit modes. These days the newer GPUs don\'t support 24 bit as a native mode. If a program is written for 24bit mode, it works well in 32 bit mode. All that happens the program does not use the Alpha channel (transparency), which is well implimented in hardware resulting in really no performance difference between 24 bit and 32 bit programs.

If your 32 bit mode is slower than 16 bit mode, then it is most likely your GPU\'s driver. It may be the hardware but that would only result in a slight difference. ATI are generally Direct3D based, while nVidia is OpenGL based, with both supporting translation components. That is if you have a Direct3D hardware implimented core with OpenGL->Direct3D translation component. Even under hardware 32 bit is faster than 16 bit for most GPUs these days.

Thomas Egi

• Traveller
    • View Profile
extrem slow-- softwarerender---
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 12:08:46 pm »
i got every 1-3 sec a new picture. i turned off the sound , the resolution and color deep. my 3d-support itself is fine (tux and quake   are workin) but it seems to be just softwarerendering in PS.
can someone please tell me how to switch to open gl unter linux(FC3)?
thx a lot for any kind advice (expect \"install windows\")
edit: reinstalled graka-drivers. everythings fine. planeshift is really.. wow amazing =) thx 4 everything
« Last Edit: February 14, 2005, 11:03:09 am by Thomas Egi »

dentaku

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
32 Bit on Linux?
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2005, 01:52:54 pm »
Is it possible to run Linux (xorg server) with 32 Bit? I just have 24 as the maximum set in xorg.conf.
Linux (Ubuntu 5.04), 900MHz AMD, 256 MB, GeForce FX5700

tuxy

• Wayfarer
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 11:10:26 pm »
Originally posted by dentaku
Is it possible to run Linux (xorg server) with 32 Bit? I just have 24 as the maximum set in xorg.conf.

X supports 24 and 32. However choosing 32 is little pointless, 24 bits are used for color and last 8 bits are not used at all.

DaveG

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2005, 01:58:21 am »
24-bit color depth is the most the human eye can see.  The extra 8-bits in 32-bit are used for alpha-channels.  If they\'re blank, that\'s just because it\'s often easier for the computer to handle powers of 2.

::  PlaneShift Team Programmer  ::