Author Topic: Last names  (Read 3757 times)

Prolix

Re: More leeway with names
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2008, 09:16:17 pm »
I think that names should be independent of unique game identifier. This should be a number not shared with anyone else that is associated with a character's data. The name should be shown instead of the number in the logs and in chat.

Izzabella

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Outlaws
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2008, 09:27:28 pm »
also if your making like a family or something and need the same last night all you do is bug petition a GM and they usually don't have a problem changing it...right?

Illysia

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2008, 09:32:18 pm »
also if your making like a family or something and need the same last night all you do is bug petition a GM and they usually don't have a problem changing it...right?

That's all I had to do. I just had to verify that the character was in fact my alt.  :)

macchesney

• Traveller
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2008, 12:19:10 am »
That seemed to mention that first names would still need to be unique.  I definitely think they should both have leeway.  I've been trying to make a character for about a half an hour and still every name I try is taken.  In real life for example there are lots of people with the same first name or the same last name.  It's the combination of the two that sets people apart.

Yes, this is all very nice.. BUT imagine having to type two whacky RP names every time you want to send a PM.. that wouldn't be very nice now would it?  ;)

Pizik

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2008, 12:25:48 am »
To add to what macchesney said, having to type a double name into buddy lists, having to have a double width buddy list, GMs and Devs having to enclose names of characters in quotation marks (my personal most important point) arre all other bad reasons for non-unique first names.
Proceeding through life like a cat without whiskers, perpetually stuck behind the refrigerator.

Prolix

« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2008, 03:37:30 pm »
That could be ameliorated with an auto-complete function, then you would only need to type enough to uniquely identify the individual.

mikeloeven

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
remove the last name in use limitation it is unrealistic
« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2010, 11:10:12 am »
in a game that supports realism the idea that multiple families with the same last name cannot exist is sheer lunacy. in real life my last name is loeven it is rare but a google or face book search will display at least 10 - 20 results and many of them have no familial relationship at all. now i guess i can understand no duplicate first names as an engine limitation since tells and targeting commands rely on them. but the family name in use restriction needs to go. however i guess i could see some kind of authorisation such as "a child by the name of" has been born do you accept them into your clan "y/n" could be allowable and if no is clicked than the gm's can force a rename.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 11:12:29 am by mikeloeven »

miadon

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
Re: remove the last name in use limitation it is unrealistic
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2010, 11:32:55 am »
well this has come up before many times. In the PS settings the law states everyone must have a unique name which is probably more a factor of ease...  when it comes to last names... I am unsure of the law in regards to settings.

You do get real issues of people stealing others last names and using them for wrong reasons...

I do think the idea of allowing the original creator of the 'last name' to have an option to either allow 'anyone can use the last name' or disallow.
- MiadonCam (Refresh page to see live in game Miadon Action!!)

Sarva

• Game Masters
  • Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2010, 12:55:47 pm »
If there is an RP reason for two characters to have the same last name then the GMs can do this, if all parties agree to the name change.

mikeloeven

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2010, 04:46:52 pm »
If there is an RP reason for two characters to have the same last name then the GMs can do this, if all parties agree to the name change.

ah ok so it can still be done on a case by case basis. it would be a bit easier to creat families though i think it would be a fun dynamic to have a actual rp family with more than just husband and wife. a few kids and grandparents too.

khoridor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2010, 10:46:36 pm »
Then it could be allowed automatically for alts.

potare

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Potare the great
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2010, 11:04:44 pm »
but why would you want someone elses last name?

khoridor

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2010, 12:57:05 am »
To have proper families and clans, for example.

potare

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Potare the great
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2010, 01:46:24 am »
oh