Author Topic: A good but incomplete idea  (Read 2564 times)

Malkai

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
A good but incomplete idea
« on: September 04, 2002, 03:49:50 pm »
I think something that should be added to this game is a feeling of importance in your character. Most mmorpgs I play, I feel my character is just the same as everyone elses really except for maybe a different spell or two, or maybe a better blade then the next guy. There should be some kind of significant way to make your characters stand out among the rest. Maybe a reputation meter or something just to show that you are the most evil creature of the land or the most just? Add on to this idea if ya want.

Our Goal ----> Domination of all Nations

ParaSite

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Ancient
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2002, 04:16:02 pm »
The idea is good, but think it through. Some people are famous and some aren\'t. That can\'t be avoided. IF everyone completes a lot of quests and has a high fame-rating, it\'s not special anymore. Fame is just something you must deserve, by standing out.

For example, even on this boards some people are famous and some aren\'t. You can\'t force it.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2002, 04:16:13 pm by ParaSite »
<Worf> These are the moments when my ego gets put back on the ground. I use linux for quite some time, and am soon 2 years maintainer of a linux distribution. I started to think I would be good at it. But then I tried to get planeshift running.

Malkai

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2002, 04:40:07 pm »
Aye, but still... Im talking more along the lines of something that will make your character better. 2 Lvl 10 swordsmen will be close to the same. I dont know what it is but there should just be something more to characters to make them better or worse. Like if you were the Evil Dark Master of Everything, then you should have added stats or something that will make you crush everyone... I dunno.. just a thought....

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2002, 04:42:34 pm »
how about the players decide your fame? i remember there was a system similar in helbreath. a player can give you a reputation point. there can be different styles of points. if someone does something evil you give that player an evil reputation point. if you do something good a player can give you a good reputation point. if you get a good reputation point it would subtract from your evil reputation points and vice versa. if you get a set amount of good or evil reputation points you can give yourself a custom title. totally up to you of course.
We are a guild that strives for glory,we strive for power,we strive for domination.Visit us here--> Dark Empire  \"Oloth vaq\' dos!\"

Sig removed because it was to big...I\'ll put it back when I get it resized.

Malkai

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2002, 04:49:13 pm »
That sounds like a good system Aelya. And your evil points should make your stats raise also :)

Tomaseth

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2002, 07:52:34 pm »
But there are no classes in PlaneShift, and with 6 magic types (?) and a whole bunch of different skills, not everyone will be the same. It sounds like an original system with the reputation thing... but I don\'t think I understand it fully. I\'d like to here a little more about it before I make a descision whether I like it or not.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2002, 08:10:42 pm by Tomaseth »

Shanky

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2002, 08:08:02 pm »
Forcing a fame system on people in a game should not be implemented. If you want to be famous, MAKE yourself famous, go out and BE the most evil person on the server, or the most fair, or the nicest, or the best skill. You would be surprised how far word of mouth goes, and if it doesnt go as far as you would like, then try harder.

planeSHIFT

Princess Aelya

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2002, 08:18:20 pm »
well the idea i mentioned is just that. if you get a point then someone thinks something of you. you dont HAVE to give any points at all. only if you feel someone has done a great evil deed or a great good deed.and chances are you wont forget that person.
We are a guild that strives for glory,we strive for power,we strive for domination.Visit us here--> Dark Empire  \"Oloth vaq\' dos!\"

Sig removed because it was to big...I\'ll put it back when I get it resized.

Malkai

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2002, 08:27:08 pm »
Listen to this... instead of a reputation system what if there was an aura system? Lets say every character has an aura about them.  If you examined them or got close to them or something along those lines then it would say stuff like \"I have a bad feeling about this guy\" or \"I can feel evil flowing from this guy.\" I dunno I like the idea tho :)

Kiern

• Forum Addict
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2002, 08:31:12 pm »
Originally posted by Shanky
Forcing a fame system on people in a game should not be implemented. If you want to be famous, MAKE yourself famous, go out and BE the most evil person on the server, or the most fair, or the nicest, or the best skill. You would be surprised how far word of mouth goes, and if it doesnt go as far as you would like, then try harder.

usually a lot of the nicer and fair people are overlooked simply BECAUSE thats how they are, thats also a reason why people like to be evil...fame

Shanky

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2002, 08:36:53 pm »
To have a point based feedback system, it requires input from gamers themselves, this arises two problems:

1) How are we sure people will even bother voting? I know i wouldn\'t

2) Abuse of a voting system. People may vote negativly of someone, even though they were nice (like say they were offering a fair price on an item, and even tried to cut a deal with you...but they wouldnt give it away for free), or they can vote negatively at random (just walk up to someone and vote them negative for no reason at all). Or Someone could vote positivly on someone to make their \"Evil\" rating go down, whether it be for competition reasons or no reason at all.

Basicly what it comes down to is, to ensure that the entire system works flawlessly, you would have to do a ton of work, and when it comes down to it the system wouldn\'t be any better than a simple word of mouth system. Your reputation should be based on your actions toward others, not whether or not a player clicks a button that says \"This guy is cool\".

planeSHIFT

TheGeneral

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2002, 05:42:07 pm »
Well, i like what Kada has done on here boards. The karma point thing...as many of you know. Well, it give you a change a add points to someone, like once a day. BUT the great thing is, it only lets you do that after 10 posts. So, in the game, it could be done after you have played for a certain amount of hours. And maybe you can only have like 5-10 points max to give away.

Join BISM here: BISM
Join The Calen Vakhar
NEVER YOU HEAR ME!

elKano

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2002, 07:36:45 am »
It is not the age that gives objectivity. In fact it is often the contrary.
But the limtation of the amount of points you give can be a better solution.

The aura idea seems good to me, but I don\'t see why it would exclude the reputation system. It is more like a way to appreciate - unaccurately - the reputation of a character.
_ _Tired of hyerarchies?
?Aqui estan los Otros!
__join the anarchists__

Silverblade

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2002, 07:46:26 am »
Ragnarok Online brought in this reputation point system. It has many flaws.

People can go around giving out negative points for no reason other than to be annoying little shits.

People \"buy and sell\" points. They sit on the side of a busy road and offer to give people good points for a fee of say, 500 dollars.

This makes quite an inacurate system.

Ragnarok Online tried to solve this by making it so that you could only give out one point per day. That didnt really achieve anything.

David_HD

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2002, 06:39:09 am »
Maybe we\'ll just have enlightened players who\'ll use it responsably...

lol, I crack myself up.... :P