Author Topic: Janners Way  (Read 18679 times)

r.guppy

Janners Way
« on: July 30, 2005, 03:22:01 pm »
(Janner means a person born and living in the local vicinity)

Hello fellow citizens of Yliakum, I am a man like any other man, I stand here before you to tell you of my dream and my way of life.

I have been to many lands and realms, in my travels, and seen the work of some fine guilds and others not so good, I have met many a good fellow and bad, I have helped fellow travellers whenever I could and so met my fair lady. She was sweet and kind and also strong and clever, we soon fell in love and were married. We have three children; two boys  and a lovely little girl; but to mar this happy tale, our daughter was hit by a badly cast spell and will never walk or talk.

In my anger and despair I walked away from all I loved and for five years I trained to kill, I was focused entirely on my training and not a thought went through my head of my family, just my own pain and deep, deep anger at the guilds; for it was a guild mage training spell that struck my beloved daughter.

After five years I was ready to take my revenge on the whole of the offending guild. I was bent on killing them all, but I had travelled far and on nearing my home I spied my village under attack by a hoard of monsters. I was too far away to help but in the nick of time, amidst a large flash, a portal  appeared, and from it poured the guild which I was bent on destroying. They saved the village. As I approached I saw the mage whose spell did the damage, that turned me into a master of the sword, my hand went to the hilt of my sword seeking revenge but I stopped for in his arms was a small child, a girl, she was near death, he spoke softly to her and I was close enough to hear his words;
\"Hush my child, I harmed one such as you five years ago, I grieved for a year for what I had done to her, now I can finally try to put right some of the harm I did\"
With that he chanted a spell and healed the child.

With all the anger gone I walked up to him and gently taking the child from him gave him all my tria. I walked the child home to her frantic mother, and went on home to my family. I told my wife what had happened and she was glad that the fire was gone from me.

I am not a man to lead and not a man to follow, I wish to be good and do as I want, as long as it harms no one. In my travels I have found many of like mind, but along the way many have asked me to join their guilds and I have always refused. This led me to believe that  I should wear the badge of a guild just to be left alone, it was then that my dream formed in my head; why not form a guild of people who think like me; good and kind souls man, woman or beast; as there is good in all forms of life. A few simple rules to guide us all and instead of ranks, volunteer advisors.

I have the full support of my wife and family in all of this. I do not canvass or campaign for members so if you are a like-minded soul who wishes to become a member of my guild be not afraid to approach me and ask.

So to summarise; this is not a guild with ranks and structure as you are used to, just a few simple rules to abide to:
1) Don\'t do things to others that you would not want done to you
2) No swearing
3) Give a helping hand to the new of this world and above all
4) Do your own thing and have fun!
5) Members are free to leave at any time with best wishes for their future endeavors. The door is always open for them to return if they wish.
adviser roles.
1: Individual
2: Helper
3: Adviser
4: Trainee
5: Trainer
6: Defender
7: Skilled Defender
8: Judge
9. Master Dreamer

Web page http://www.webspawner.com/users/jannermd/index.html
« Last Edit: March 11, 2006, 02:26:56 pm by r.guppy »

Talamir

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2005, 03:26:15 pm »
I didnt even read it because it was 8 or 9 sentances. What you need are ranks. Rank description, goals, a history, a website, forums. Lol just read the last part. No ranks? So everyone is a lvl one with nothing unusual while following 4 rules doing nothing but leading people to the sewers..good luck with this, but I doubt you will get far this way.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2005, 03:34:47 pm »
This wouldn\'t be a guild, but more like an organization. Guilds need several things to be qualified as such, as Talamir mentioned. If yours is just a gathering of people who wish to be sheltered from the rest of the world, with no further goals, no way of growing, you may want to reconsider ;) I certainly understand your desire to help those who may be intimidated by larger guilds, particularly those who lean away from the good/neutral alignment, but you are mistaken in that the majority have brought more harm than good. At least, I would like a further explanation of your statement.

I don\'t see this surviving, unless you put more time and thought into what you\'re really after.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Dandamis

• Traveller
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2005, 03:42:02 pm »
I think you guys are splitting hairs over the definition of \"guild\".  Janner clearly states in his original post that he doesn\'t mean \"guild\" in the same rank and file organizational sense that you normally refer to.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 03:50:00 pm »
There still needs to be better organization, regardless. Some sort of structure is necessary. Stating that you want to make a group that will help each other is very, very boring, and the great majority of those who actually come looking for guilds on the forums here are looking for something specific, something that will catch their eyes and offer them goals beyond the \"We band together to survive\" theme. This simply will not work unless more effort is put into it.

I don\'t think the current name fits, either.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Pestilence

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2005, 04:50:01 pm »
Negativity again. ;)

*shakes his head*

Think Janner wants to make a guild that isn\'t really a guild.

Just a group of friends that share a chatchannel so to speak and think about the same way about how to treat people.

Where does it say it is required to have ranks?

I personally wasn\'t sure about the name myself but if the ones who join it don\'t mind who am I to object?

In all I like the idea although I do agree your \"missionstatement\" could be a little bit better. ;)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 04:50:16 pm by Pestilence »

Pip

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 05:07:45 pm »
Some of you guys have missed the point altogether.

As soon as you join Planeshift you have to run the gauntlet of being pestered to join this guild or that guild. If you don\'t want to join a guild this becomes tiresome.

Janners Way offers you a way of avoiding this pressure because once they see you wearing a guild name they stop asking you to join theirs.

If in the end Janners Way fails to qualify as a guild, then so be it. There will still be a few of us who will be happy to follow our own paths and wear the name of the guild that lets us do that.

This guild will offer help to those who need it and what better purpose than that?

Mrs Janner

Valbrandr

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 05:22:50 pm »
No need to argue whether is it a guild or not.  Janner believes that it is.  So then it is.  Now it comes down to how much work he wants to put in it.  Your ideas are fine... but I think you should sit down and work out everything and use what you have so far as underlying reasons for being.  You could mention the same things again but in a different way with alot more detail.  The site is the last thing you will need so try to get everything else just the way you want it and maybe you know someone or will run into someone that can make you a webpage if you do not know how.  But the most important thing is to not take what people say personnal and try to take what constructive criticism out of it.

Good luck Janner.

Phinehas

(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 03:41:48 am »
*yawn*

*ahem*

Join the Dark Side, Karyuu. You know you want to be sarcastic and flame them, you know you do...

r.guppy

Thanks to all for your comments.
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2005, 04:44:46 am »
Originally posted by Talamir [/II didnt even read it because it was 8 or 9 sentances. What you need are ranks. Rank description, goals, a history, a website, forums. Lol just read the last part. No ranks? So everyone is a lvl one with nothing unusual while following 4 rules doing nothing but leading people to the sewers..good luck with this, but I doubt you will get far this way.

Eveyone is entitled to their opinion, but I would suggest you read before commenting. Not everyone has to be long winded to get their point across.

There is no facility for creating organisations other than guilds. So if you want to club together you have to use the guild system.

As for ranks, these will be replaced by advisor roles; as people join with specific skills and volunteer their services.

Newbies who join will know which members to ask help from by their advisor category.

Originally posted by Karyuu
 Stating that you want to make a group that will help each other is very, very boring, and the great majority of those who actually come looking for guilds on the forums here are looking for something specific, something that will catch their eyes and offer them goals beyond the \"We band together to survive\" theme. This simply will not work unless more effort is put into it.

I don\'t think helping people is boring, for me it is part of the enjoyment of the game. There are plenty of others who think the same. There are plenty of other options for people who wish to belong to a structured formal guild.

Kelden

• Traveller
    • View Profile
My reasons
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2005, 05:16:43 am »
I am a member of \"Janners Way\".

Why did I join this very small guild?  It was not to avoid being \"invited\" to join other guilds.  It is easy enough to refuse those offers, even if it can become a bit tiresome. No, the reason for becoming a member of this rather \'small and select\' group was because I felt it was where I, with my character traits and my game persona, fit in the best.

It is true that the guild is small.  [In fact, with the arrival of the character wipe this coming week I fear its numbers will (temporarily) dwindle rather more severely.]   But, then, GUILDS have always formed out of need or reason of similar thinking, similar purpose, similar need for protection, friendships, financial advancements and what have you (both in PS and the Real World).

Whether or not the guild seems to fit the mould of the other guilds that exist in PS, is of less importance to me.  That it is small is perhaps only a temporary issue.  Other potential members are always welcome and are given invitation to join based upon perceived good behaviour and character traits.  That it is not yet \"written in stone\" and blessed with a web site seems of less importance to me.  These trappings will come in time.

At the same time, there is no need for me to be critical in any way of other guilds and the reasons that players join them.  The only thing that I will say is that I felt that the kind of attitude and approach to the playing of the game which I enjoyed could best be served within this guild... and I would not be well-placed in any other.

Additionally, let me remind everyone that the GUILD is currently the only permanent form of player association within PlaneShift.  Others might perceive us as merely a \"group\".  But a GROUP association is generally one of short-term duration with the intention of short-term gain: an association that disappears the moment a player logs out of the PS world.  By coming together under the GUILD, we are, in effect, declaring a similarity of thought and behaviour that goes beyond any short-term events.  

Finally, I will even venture a potentially unpopular opinion by saying that the GUILD form can not yet find its true expression within the PS world.  This is not out of any lack of sincerity on the part of the guild founders or members, but ONLY because the PS world is not yet fully formed so as to provide the sort of challenges and goals that would best be served by banding together under the banner of a guild.  Here, again, I feel that time and diligent work on the part of the game designers, programmers and artists will remedy this... by embellishing end expanding upon the potentials and possibilities of the game environment so as to give far, far more meaning, goals and challenges to GUILDs in general.  But, I digress, and I fear that this opens up another one of those \'can-of-worms\' questions relating to the game and the RPG philosophy in general.

But, given all the limitations of game, associations and form, for better or worse, I still maintain that I have made the correct choice of affiliation by joining Janner\'s Way.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 07:51:11 am by Kelden »

Phinehas

(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2005, 05:55:59 am »
Originally posted by Kelden
 this rather \'small and select\' group

*snort splutter cough*

Eh... select, huh? Oooh... You don\'t know the meaning of the word \"select\". Ashes, now that was select...
 the arrival of the character wipe this coming week

Hmm...? Since when is it this coming week? We\'re nowhere near as far as I know...

By coming together under the GUILD, we are, in effect, declaring a similarity of thought and behaviour that goes beyond any short-term events.  

No, not lately...

Finally, I will even venture a potentially unpopular opinion by saying that the GUILD form can not yet find its true expression within the PS world.  This is not out of any lack of sincerity on the part of the guild founders or members, but ONLY because the PS world is not yet fully formed so as to provide the sort of challenges and goals that would best be served by banding together under the banner of a guild.  Here, again, I feel that time and diligent work on the part of the game designers, programmers and artists will remedy this... by embellishing end expanding upon the potentials and possibilities of the game environment so as to give far, far more meaning, goals and challenges to GUILDs in general.  But, I digress, and I fear that this opens up another one of those \'can-of-worms\' questions relating to the game and the RPG philosophy in general.

Why would you consider common knowledge a potentially unpopular opinion. Everyone knows that the way guilds are set up in PS at the moment is not near what there needs to be. It\'s just one of those things about being an alpha...

But, given all the limitations of game, associations and form, for better or worse, I still maintain that I have made the correct choice of affiliation by joining Janner\'s Way.

Yes, well, good for you. Quite frankly, I don\'t think anyonce cares about this organisation one way or the other. It\'s not big enough, or well-organized enough, or original enough, or old enoough to even be worth arguing about, so...

Basically, some *ahem* \"newbie\" comes along and starts something half-baked. If he enjoys it, good for him. If a few more people like it, good for them. However, I would try and stay out of the spotlight as people don\'t take kindly to their time being wasted with threads such as this. Don\'t expect a lot of sympathy.

I really must applaud the fact that it seems to be at least somewhat RP-oriented though. Good for you.

Might want to change the name, though. Not many people are interested in joining a guild that\'s named after the leader.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 05:59:11 am by Phinehas »

r.guppy

(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2005, 06:46:32 am »
Originally posted by Phinehas
 the arrival of the character wipe this coming week

Hmm...? Since when is it this coming week? We\'re nowhere near as far as I know...

Originally posted by Talad
[Taken from main web site]

Hi Planeshifters,
we worked hard in the past month to provide an update to the current PS release. The update will be ready in the next few days, and while you?re waiting we?ll give you a little insight into what it contains.

........... This change really requires that we proceed with the famous WIPE of characters, so everyone will start from the beginning with the new rules.
28.07.2005, 03:57
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 06:48:43 am by r.guppy »

Kelden

• Traveller
    • View Profile
Regarding word usage
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2005, 07:53:38 am »
As I believe that Phinehas has a valid point with regard to my usage of the word \"select\", I have changed the original post to read \"small\" as that was my intended meaning when I typed it.

Pestilence

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2005, 09:55:47 am »
Phinehas\'s sarcasm. Enjoyment.

To bad he isn\'t as good informed as he would like to have others think ;)

To Janners Way. Enjoy and ignore the negativity. Nowhere does it say you can\'t do what you do. You said yourself you don\'t care if it\'s called a guild or not and can only think of the rule of what you need to do to be an official recognized guild ;)