Author Topic: The RP?????  (Read 6044 times)

Duraza

• Hydlaa Notable
    • View Profile
    • Want to know the truth now?
Re: The RP?????
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2007, 09:29:23 pm »

I have yet to find a new player who when using the 'vesper of laanx' strategy of teaching, wont become an excellent role player...

Funny thing is it was a person from that very guild who helped me with my first character and taught me about rping...I am eternally thankful to him  :thumbup:
I guess it just doesn't work as well for me though because I'm always busy playing as different characters so I don't have as much time to spend watching a new player learn. I teach them the basics and always try to teach them how to use the /me and /my commands (they are my favorites). Maybe I'm just a bad teacher....
Saggi Lezeheso, The Whisper's Jest
Demoik and Rioqura, The Immortal Harrow
Vertum, Will of Dakkru

Duraza Darkom, Slayer of Kittens

Coneitic

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2007, 09:35:53 pm »
earl brings us back to the point of "if the the game is ment to be rp and grind.. why is the grind left to the devs and the rp left to us?"
There is no right or wrong.... only Trias.

~Conietic

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2007, 09:37:41 pm »
Coneitic, use your time to work on that list and not to repeat points already made.
Judge: Are you trying to show contempt for this court, Mr Smith?
Smith: No, My Lord. I am attempting to conceal it.

Coneitic

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2007, 09:39:24 pm »
yes ma'am

~Conietic

Garon

• Hydlaa Resident
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2007, 11:11:43 am »
i see no criminals anymore in the game and from resorces am told they are barely around. it just ruins the game if you cant get robbed or assaulted just by logging in thats part of what makes an rp world. constant good vs evil battles if its a small pickpocketing and arrest to a major battle headed by the elemental light and outlaws. not sure if EL is still around. and why in the world is there an npc at kada's? since she left that has been the prime RP spot.

The main problem is that there aren't the resources to be a villian without the good guys agreeing to it.  If pickpocketing (takes a random item under a certain size, or trias, possible to spot the person), a low level spell that would keep people from running (If you've heard of Neverwinter Nights, the comparison would be "hold") were available, and full pvp existed (maybe a list of everyone in the area, with a like/dislike ability, and very strict rules about it (such as--MUST have an rp reason, no interaction for 24 real hours unless otherwise agreed upon by both the killer and the killed, a cap on the number that can be killed within a time limit, and a flag for any player that kills another without 'x' lines of dialogue between them in that area within a talking radius, or a tell warning them that they're in for a possible assassination)).  There would have to be strict enforcing, and the ban stick would have to be applied liberally for abuse.  VERY liberally.  However, it would be in the GM's hands as to what was acceptable, and they'd have to come up with a standard to enforce.  Petitions would be the main way to report it.  Also, we'd need guards that did something while in town.

---
On improving rp in general:
Another thing that could be cool is a private rp rating, that gives you a certain amount of exp. per ingame hour, and is set by the GMs when they see you rping well, or decently, and can fluctuate between being high and low (depending on quality of rp--you get less for mindlessly grinding, and more if you're rping beyond a certain level, at the GM's digression within a set group of guidelines).  It should give comparable exp. to killing monsters (perhaps monster xp rates should be lowered, as well, to make training harder, and the trias needed lowered (quite a bit) as well--and then make gold harder to mine :P  Right now, all people need massive amounts of trias for is training, so the only real reason to amass that number of trias is to go on a training binge).  Perhaps bounty hunting, as well, would be a good thing to implement (hunting extra strong NPCs for a bounty, that're randomly spawned with a name and then added to some sort of board that says their name, a *description* (for IC recognition purposes only) and they loot what they were using, and their head (captured head, or the like), which a npc will buy for 1000-10000 trias, depending on how difficult the enemy was ("is considered: *danger level* and, if targeted, should be attacked with caution").  Perferably they would be far away from the roads, have some guards, and not move unless attacked, in which case when you attack them, they can run and it would probably take a few (3-5) players of a skill level comparative with the enemy's danger level.  Spawning them randomly throughout the map would be good (with exceptions for cities/BD guard area, of course).

In closing, if this is going to be an rp game, the dev team needs to make it HARD to grind.  Make it less rewarding to grind then to rp.  MUCH less rewarding.  Make it so that player's main source of xp is roleplay, the better, the more xp.  Make it so that grinding doesn't help you very much (perhaps a "day-endurance" that lowers when you craft something/dig something up, related to the run endurance, that resets every IG day.  This would keep people from grinding mining and the like (of course, make it easier to level up trade-skills, because of this).  Enforce a level of RP, and use the ban/xp drain/delevel stick liberally on those who obviously metagame (OOC information ICly), godmod (dictate what their actions do, to the determent of others--it's fine if you RP missing, but you can't hit every time, doesn't make sense), or abuse the death realm as a means of transportation.  I know, sounds hard for the GM team to do, but it can be done (I've seen this done before in NWN, that's where I'm getting most of these ideas, and with a smaller team of DMs then there are GMs here, from what I know of it.  I will admit, the server is capped at 60 players there (what's the average online here?  It'd make policing here hard, that much I'll admit.  Might need more GMs.), but it almost always is full, or past full (61/60) during daytime (est) hours, and I haven't seen it drop below 20 people (5 in the morning, EST) without a crash or reset).

Coneitic

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2007, 11:19:55 am »
good point garan. i figured you'd be tired of grinding by now! lol

~Conietic

Feline Prince

• Hydlaa Citizen
  • Now you see me...
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2007, 11:50:55 am »
The thing that makes people grind is the Progression Point system because its entirely geared towards killing stuff and paying extortionate amounts of money for training. I hear they are rethinking it though anyway.
Hide where they expect you to... Its what they least expect.

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2007, 12:00:54 pm »
Another thing that could be cool is a private rp rating, that gives you a certain amount of exp. per ingame hour, and is set by the GMs when they see you rping well, or decently, and can fluctuate between being high and low (depending on quality of rp--you get less for mindlessly grinding, and more if you're rping beyond a certain level, at the GM's digression within a set group of guidelines).

You have to realize just how much grief the GM team will get if people see them judging roleplay and trying to figure out who is doing a good job. There will be cries of abuse, favoritism, and how no GM is ever on during some person's timezone so they never get the benefit of this system. It's going to be pure madness.

On enforcing roleplay, I'm strongly against this, as are many other developers. We encourage, not enforce here. Enforcing may mean driving away people with potential who are not ready or willing to roleplay just yet. Many people with whom you have enjoyed great roleplays with did not start out as they are now, and they may not be here at all if they were greeted in the beginning by a GM waving a banstick.

Coneitic

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2007, 12:07:48 pm »
encourage and push.... not enforce =)

~Conietic

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2007, 12:13:51 pm »
System with GMs rewarding roleplaying isn't something new... But the only place I've seen it in had actually an income... One that could be then used to pay the GMs... for their hard work.
AKA Skald

Coneitic

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2007, 12:15:18 pm »
i know its not new. and gms dont work that hard. not to knock you guys but its not that tough of a job, any gm will agree.

~Conietic

Zan

• Veteran
  • Just a regular guy, with an irregular soul
    • View Profile
    • Photography
« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2007, 12:26:06 pm »
You have to realize just how much grief the GM team will get if people see them judging roleplay and trying to figure out who is doing a good job. There will be cries of abuse, favoritism, and how no GM is ever on during some person's timezone so they never get the benefit of this system. It's going to be pure madness.

Can't make an omelet without breaking some eggs ;)
Zan Drithor, Member of the Vaalnor Council
Tyrnal Relhorn, Captain of the Vaalguard
Thromdir Shoake, Merchant
Giorn Kleaver, Miner.

Grayne Dholm, Follower of Dakkru

Coneitic

• Hydlaa Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2007, 12:31:54 pm »
and im almost positive it would be easy to just take that banner away....... and make hte commands anonymous

~Conietic

Karyuu

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2007, 12:32:04 pm »
and gms dont work that hard. not to knock you guys but its not that tough of a job, any gm will agree.

No way did you just say that.

Draklar

• Forum Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2007, 12:32:26 pm »
I jumped ingame to check this:

At the moment there's nearly 200 players online. We're reaching the hours of the highest activity and still there's no Game Masters online. Should we require Game Masters to evaluate players' roleplay, we'd need them set in such places as Hydlaa plaza, Hydlaa streets, Kada's tavern, the arena, Ojaveda streets, Broken Doors tavern, The Eagle, Levrus' Shop, the library and Death Realm at any given time.

That means 10 spots of potential player activity that would require constant GM patrolling, all day long. And this goes besides their usual activities. Just for a single feature. To do this we'd need to require Game Masters spending much more time ingame, for free. Considering they don't do it right now, I don't suppose they would be all that okay about it. Most likely we'd get much less players deciding to take up this function and that would mean even more work on the remaining ones. In return, this would make us require even more time spent ingame and even more Game Masters dropping out. In the end only the most dedicated people will remain (before getting tired and frustrated, in the end leaving as well).
AKA Skald